Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
Hi, We are off to the Royal Playa del Carmen (gran porto real's sister hotel, right across the street) on Monday. Will write a review when we get back, and give you some info re the hotel/beach and the location.
Denny
Thanks Denny. We originally wanted to stay at the Royal but really only wanted to fly from Newcastle. Thomas Cook was the only T/O offering the Royal and they've withdrawn their Newcastle flights for next year :( We're thinking about possibly upgrading when we get there so it'd be good to know if you think it's worth it or not.

Have a great trip :)
Yes, you can def upgrade, I will find out the price of doing that if you like? I've heard it's quite reasonable to upgrade.... Denny
ooohhhh that would be fantastic of you could, thanks :tup

I've tried to work it out from the price of accomodation on each website but I don't know if thats gona be accurate. Be great if we can get an idea from the hotel.
missyP,
Just returned from the Royal Playa del Carmen, WOW it was excellent. The Gran Porto Real was very good too! The upgrade prices vary from month to month, at the moment (Sept - low season) it was 40$ per night, but would be dearer in May as it is high season. You can also stay at the Gran Porto and buy a daily pass for the Royal -for the day or for the whole stay.
The staff are wonderful and you are waited on hand and foot!! The food is excellent, it's like eating out at a top class restaurant every night. The food at the Gran was great too!! Drinks are all top shelf and the cocktails to die for. The mangotangos are YUMMY.!!
The beach is wonderful - white sand and clear blue water, and you can walk for miles in either direction! 5th Ave is just round the corner - a mix of old, quaint shops and luxury designer shops, lovely bars and restaurants. The ferry port to Cozumel is a 15 min walk away, 12$ each way, great for a day or afternoon out!
Loads and loads of trips to do and as an added bonus, you can trade nights at their sister hotel in Cancun. We did this for our last 3 days and it was a wonderful end to a brill holiday.Will do a full review in a day or so (jetlag!!), but anything in particular you want to know, just ask!
Denny
I have always fancied Playa Del Carmen so would love to hear more :)
Thanks for that Denny, it sounds fantastic. I can't wait now :sun2

I'll check out your review.

From what you saw do you think it's worth paying for the updrage from the Gran to the Royal?
Yes, I think it is worth paying to upgrade. The main reason being that you don't have to book any al a carte restaurants and you have the choice of 5 restaurants at the Royal and the 3 at the Gran Porto. It really is great deciding just before you eat, what and where you want to eat, as opposed to having to make reservations in some cases 24hrs beforehand.!
The facililties are so much better at the Royal. It is so much bigger and adults only!! Also once you have upgraded, you can trade nights at the Royal Cancun - which we did for the last 3 days. It was like having another holiday at the end a great holiday!!
Denny
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.