Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Gulet cruise?
23 Posts
I'm addicted to gulet holidays.

It is the most chilled out and relaxing holiday ever. I'm due to go on one for the 5th year running at the beginning of September.

The food is always delicious and plentiful. Wearing no shoes for a whole week is divine. Mooring up in sheltered bays with no sounds other than the distant ringing of a bell on a goat's neck and the water gently lapping at the sides of the gulet is a feeling like no other. You can sleep on deck if you wish (cabins get very hot and even if you are on a deluxe gulet with air con that is only on when the generator/engine is switched on). My favourite ever sight was on my first gulet trip and we had had dinner and a bit of a boogie on the deck before sitting and chatting over a few more drinks and I walked to the side of the gulet and saw the biggest, orange moon I have ever seen! It was hard to believe that it's the same moon that shines on the UK.

So anyway, I highly recommend. The misgivings that most have is that if you charter a cabin (like how you would book a room in a hotel) you may be stuck on a boat with others that you might not like or gel with. But please don't worry about that. Depending on who you book with you are highly unlikely to be with others who are all from another country. The passengers will all probably have the same desire in mind for their holiday - chilling out and enjoying the company of other likeminded people. There hasn't been anyone on the trips I have done who I haven't got along with.
We too are keen on gulet cruises. We have been on 4 so far and will be going back for more next year. (Having a year off this year as we are going with our daughter and grand daughter).

In a way they are a little uncomfortable, as the cabin's can be tiny and hot. Sleeping at night is sometimes difficult. I would say avoid July and August or stake your place on deck early. The plus side is the wonderful bays and places you stop, often having the place to yourself. The swimming and snorkling is fabulous, my hubby saw 3 turtles last year, and swum amongst them. The food is always fabulous and we have always got on well with all the other passengers, whatever nationality. The cheaper internet type companys attract more europeans than english. I prefer the Fethiye to Kas route rather than the Fethiye to Marmaris route. Its a lot prettier and you get to stop a Kekova, a place you can only reach by sea.
Many thanks.

Does anyone have any links so we could 'have a look' as it were for next June?

Anymore info and especially contacts would be well appreciated.
I'm going on private charter this year and all but one of my other trips have been with singles tour operators. When I went with my boyfriend we went with bluecruise. I had heard that they are no longer doing cabin charter but I don't know if that's true or not. They were brilliant but not the cheapest.

If I go again with my boyfriend then we will probably use Anatolian Sky - they are very reasonably priced and as we like to do two centre breaks the resorts they deal can be a lot quieter and less commercial than some so would suit us very well.
Oh and be prepared to become a 'boat snob'. :rofl

You will look upon 'day trippers' as not quite reaching your standards. Seriously, the nicest person in the world will become a daytripper snob by the middle of day one. :cheers
my step dad was a sea captain many years ago and he does some private chartering in marmaris areas on his yacht if anyone is interested i could find out more, i know hes reasonably priced and lives near marmaris
Its not snobbery..One must simply keep one's standards.

Seriously..Do the cabins have Air -Conditioning?
If you choose a dulux gulet you do get air conditioning, but only for a couple of hours when the generator is turned on. Between 7 - 9 ISH. If you go mid to late September the evenings are cool and could even be cold.
Finally decided to book this idea as it sounds really appealing. The only thing we have to do now though is to decide on which Gullet cruise to take?

They all seem so beautiful????

Can someone who has experienced this kind of holiday help us to decide?
I've done 15 of theses gulet holidays so far (due to do another one in 7 weeks and 1 day). They are the most relaxing way of having a holiday I have ever found. Its not for you if you want nightlife as you will probably spend most evenings in a quiet bay and have to make your own entertainment. We've had fancy dress, pub quizzes, midnight swims, and all manner of fund and silly games. The days are fabulous, breakfast then cruise for a couple of hours, moor up, have lunch, swim, afternoon tea & biscuits, relax on the sun beds, dinner and the next day start all over again. There are usually a couple of canoes, windsurfer and some snorkelling gear on board. The crew will end up being your best turkish friends as they really are the nicest of people.

You only need very casual clothes and your swim wear, no shoes on deck and you don't need lots of make-up or jewellry - you can if you want, but its not necessary to dress up at all.

The best company we've found is Blue Cruise. Its true that they now do mainly whole boat charters but you can get cabin charters if your not fussy which boat you go on (I am as I go back to see the same people (crew & owners) year after year. The air conditioning on the deluxe gulets will run from 6.30 until 10.30 and is very good but as others have said, it can get warm in the cabins.

Will not give up doing this kind of holiday until I can't walk up the gang plank - perfect relaxation in every way.

Give it a go, call Blue Cruise now.
Oops, me again. Forgot to say the sailings between Marmaris or Gocek and Kalkan are the best in terms of places to see and villages to visit. With this route you would visit Fethiye also which is a largish town with a good bazar and market.
Passionate comments such as yours Shelagh are always worthy of a reply imo.

Thank you indeed.

:tup
We have used Baha Travel in Kalkan/Fethiye and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. They do 7 or 14 day trips.

Details HERE
Is this something that is able to be done for a few days or is normally the minimum ?
If you book a cabin charter fromthe UK, its normally one week minimum unless you charter the whole boat and then companies such as Blue Cruise will tailor make your holiday.

If you are already in Turkey there are many companies who will do you a deal for a few day (I think 3 is the minimum.

Bet a week won't be enough. We've been on with passengers who couldn't even swim and didn't want to go on to the land holiday for the second week.
Dadooronron ...........

Dadooronron Posts: 177 Here are some of my pictures of my gulet cruise holidays

http://www.flickr.com/photos/madjap/set ... 810480164/

We would recommend Anatolian sky too.
http://www.anatoliansky.co.uk/Home/Holi ... urkey.aspx

The cheapie ones are through companies like Goldtrail
http://www.goldtrail.co.uk/AniteNextPag ... &s=4307585

I really enjoyed your photos :=)) especially those of Köprüçay river and the Aspendos theater!!!!!!!!!! you must love Turkey too.....if you get a chance to visit the antalya area again let me know...great places to visit for photos....Phaselis, Cirali, Olympos, Perge, Termessos..etc..
my wife fancies this next year but i can't swim so would i be bored stupid?
It is one way to learn to swim. I used to be a poor swimmer but since going on these holidays I have gained a lot of confidence in the water. The sea is very salty and bouyant, its impossible almost to sink. There are life jackets and floats to use if you want to try. A lady on our cruise last year plucked up the courage by the end of the week to go in with a life jacket on. The sea is a beautiful blue colour and it was very tempting with it being so hot. You have a ladder to descend (I would recommend taking some surfing shoes).

Other things to do apart from reading and relaxing would be fishing. We had a couple of fishermen once and after a couple of days the cook cooked their catch for our dinner. You get to go ashore occasionally and explore.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.