Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
morning Kedi

It says "internal server error" when I try the link.

dave
It still working for me. Perhaps try another browser such as Firefox, Safari or Opera if you are using IE.

luci :wave
Working fine for me . Some very good advice there Kedi :)
excellent Kedi: thanks for sharing that with us all :tup
I can't get it at all. Please can someone copy and past ther main part of it?
Thanks.
I've been travelling to Turkey many times for over 16 years but I'm still uncomfortable about haggling.
Here is the article for those who can't open the link:

Sorry Kedi, I've had to remove the post for copyright reasons. I know some are having troubles getting the web page, but we can't have the article pasted on the forum as it's a breach of copyright. Dazbo HT Mod
hi kedi......it worked for me.....makes it all sound so simple
yip, worked fine for me too - can't wait to try it out!
I'm taking Omid Djalili to haggle for me!!

:rofl
Iain - I'm with you there!!!

How much are those nuts??

They're free sir.

You'll have to do better than that!! :rofl

Dave
I'm well used to it anyway - my OH is a born haggler and does it even in this country! :D
I HATE haggling. I am so useless at it!

I want to buy an eternity ring when we go to Hisaronu in May, but I am dreading haggling with the jewellers. I always walk away thinking I have paid over the odds.
Ref ring ,
Think of the price you want to pay , knock off 20 %
If you cant buy for that , walk away.
The following was posted a few years ago on this site by Rami from IcmelerOnline.

Bartering/haggling in markets
This is expected in most resorts and markets as a general rule- ask the price then offer 1/3 of that price, when the shop owner refuses, offer 40-50% of the original price, gradually increase your price to meet in the middle, if the shop owner won't accept a reasonable offer, walk away - you will often be chased down the road by the trader who will offer you the item at your price or very close to it. If the trader takes the item off you and puts it back on the shelf, you know you have gone below his minimum price, either accept defeat and try a different shop, or increase your price to a mutually agreeable level. You'll know if you are being unreasonable from the person's body language. Generally don't pay more than 60% of the asking price and never accept the first price offered. Remember you can also barter in a lot of shops (not supermarkets though!) and also in restaurants (before you order the meal though, NOT afterwards.) Here you don't generally argue the price, but more the free extras such as free bread or a free bottle of wine.

I follow this method and it works, especially the walking out part, last year I was getting really good at it, if I couldn't get the product for 50-60% or less of original price then I didn't buy.

Dave
I normally go to Icmeler in May /June and find that at that time of the year the haggling can be a bit more difficult they are less likely to move a great deal on price. I have also found that over the past few years the haggling has also been a lot less. They seem less willing to haggle many things are now at a fixed price

Stewart
Last time we were there was our 4th time in Turkey in 5 years & TBH I couldn't be bothered to haggle & hardly bought anything. You get an idea of what the going rate is over the years & when traders were starting off at double what I knew they would accept (which I accept is the norm), I just couldn't be bothered to play the game.

After not getting out there last year, I now can't wait to get back into it this summer lol.......I'm swotting up on some Turkish phrases ready for some serious haggling, especially as DW lost her wedding ring last year (aye, aye I hear you all say :lol: ) so I'm going to surprise her & buy a replacement out there. I also need to stock up on some Lacoste & Ralph Lauren shirts & polo shirts.
so I'm going to surprise her & buy a replacement out there.

I take it she doesn't read Holidaytruths then .....

........ or the secret is out :rofl

Dave
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.