Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
Hi Hayley,

Hanioti is the busiest resort - there are loads of bars and places to eat.

We stayed in the next resort down - Polychrono - which was much quieter but there are some lovely places to eat on the seafront if you fancy a change from the bustle of Hanioti. We visited Hanioti a couple of times at night and found there was an overwhelming choice of eatries. I wish I could remember the name of the place we went to as we had a fab seafood meze for two.

Try this site as well - http://www.halkidiki.com
I used it a bit before we went in 2003 - there's a discussion forum too.

Dawn
Hi Puddleduck, hope you like Hanioti, we can't decide where to go this year I remember you on the message boards last year. Weren't you in Aghia Efimia on Kef, I believe you were going the same time we did. We stayed at Makis
Hey BJ,

Yes, that's right we were in Ag Ef last year at the Violatas. We had a great holiday - got a car and so we were out and about a fair amount of the time, we went scuba diving, hired a boat one day. I really enjoyed Kefalonia.
We're not going to Hanioti this year though - we were in Halkidiki in 2003.

Dawn
Me & my Boyfriend (both 25) went last year, 1st 2 weeks in July and we loved it - We stayed at the Daphne Apartments.

We ate out every night of the 2 weeks and did not have one bad meal.

The best places were:- the Lesse resturant, the Anotol (Italian), and the Dionysis (may not be spelt right!) also we fancied a fry-up on the last day and were told to go to the Hot Goblin which is opposite the Lesse and it certainly hit the spot.

We didn't really go to any bars but they all looked good - everything is all on the main square which is quiet during the day and bustling at night.

Hope this helps.

Have a great time xx :D
We used to go to Hanioti many times when I was a child. But it's almost 20 years since I was there the last time... :? Back then it was just a small and charming village with a few hotels and restaurants around the city square. It's horrible to hear that it has changed so much. I've always been dreaming about going back there, but maybe it's better to not go and just keep the nice memories that I have about the place... ;)
Nidofu
We went to Hanioti about 12 years ago. Then it had quite a few tavernas and a few bars but wasn't too busy with Brits-( it certainly was busy with Greeks!!)
I know what you mean about not returning. We used to love Tsilivi in Zante and went about 5 times - last time being 7 years ago. The last visit there were about 2 places geared for Brits. From what I can gather now it has been totally taken over and I really dont want to go back!
However, there was more scope for Tsilivi to develop than there is for Hanioti in my opinion. I would like to think I would still like Hanioti!
So - for those who have been there- are there still more tavernas than fast food/Sunday Roast joints?
Hanioti is still lovely I've been 3 times, Sept 03, May and September last year. Compared to other European resorts, Hanioti still has lots of charm. No big night clubs, some fab restaurants and still laid back. There was some developement going on last year which turns out to be a 4/5 star hotel called the "Rennaisance". I am desperate to go back, but there are now no flights to Thessalonika from Scotland and my hubby doesn't want to fly from Newcastle or Manchester. There is nothing nicer than sitting in the main square, drinking cocktails and watching all the locals gather around the fountain with 3 generations of family. Excel have also cut their flights too and from some airports now don't commence a service until June. 8)
Jade
It doesn't seem to have changed that much then! Have you looked at going DIY?
I have actually looked seriously at a DIY holiday, but I dont want to drive from Macedonia airport. I drive constantly so don't want to be bothered with car hire. I will go back hopefully later this year, (even if I have to go myself ha ha).
yes, it would be quite a drive. Perhaps there is a bus? If you want to go I'll bet someone here would be able to put you right there!
It's good to hear that it's still a nice and charming place, I would love to go back there once :)
I tried to find some pictures of Hanioti on net but couldn't find so many. Does anyone know of a page with some good pictures? I'm a bit curious about how it looks like there now :)
Go to http://www.halkidiki.com and there's a link of uploaded photos.
Hey anyone been to Lesse hotel in hanioti? Going there in August and just would like any info on accommodation or resort.
Stayed in Hanioti a few years ago. It has a lovely square, which is so tranqul in the day but comes alive at night, (not as in 18 - 30 but as intavernas and bars where people are enjoying themselves). On the weekends it gets busier as a lot of Greeks from Thessaloniki visit and have second homes there.

Whilst your there, don't miss out on a trip to Thessaloniki, it is buzzing, the market there is excellent with anything you can think of on sale and we spent a few hours (in the cool) in Thessaloniki Archaeological Museum, where the exhibits are amazing and you get a much better understanding of that area of Greece!

Enjoy your holiday we had a lovely time there!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.