Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
I did the white water rafting excursion in Turkey in April 2005 – but it was from a hotel in Side, quite a way from Dalaman. I booked with the Thomas Cook rep and I really enjoyed it. It was great fun, a little scary in places because I’m getting quite ancient and am not a very strong swimmer.
We got a good safety briefing, everyone had to wear crash helmets and lifejackets, young children were not allowed. Our raft managed the whole course without overturning – though we saw several others on the river which did overturn.

However there are some things to consider before doing it I think.

Not all of the excursion companies adhere rigidly to the same health and safety standards. I don’t think the big tour operators now promote this excursion since there have been a number of accidents, including a fatality in 2010. See

http://news.sky.com/story/795580/welsh-girl-dies-in-turkey-raft-accident

I just checked the Thomson excursion website and see that it is NOT now offered by them.

While there will usually be a professional photographer on hand to snap folk screaming as the raft goes over the rapids, most times you personally will NOT be allowed to bring your own waterproof camera - for safety reasons. So if you want a record of your brave effort, you will have to pay for the professional CD.

It can be important about what time of year that you do this excursion. Obviously, after the heavy rains of winter, the water can be faster flowing and deeper. But this actually can be safer on some runs!

If you decide to do it, make completely sure in advance that your travel insurance does cover this activity. Some insurance companies will not cover this or will demand an increased premium.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.