Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
Hello Andy, I remember our Emerald "converstations"! (Well who could forget a name like that!) Nice to see you back.
Have you found another ship to replace the beloved Emerald?
We enjoyed 3 years running on the Calypso, but sadly small ships are something of a rarity now.
Trying the Spirit this year.
kate
Hi Andy,

I'm another fan of the old girl. After Thomson took her out of service, I've been on a couple of beach holidays and then decided to try the Destiny - once was quite enough for me. The staff were mostly great, and a few of them had moved from the Emerald, such as the Maitre D' (whose name I forget, but the massive Caribbean guy) and a few of the bar crew. The ship however was not in a great condition and it just didn't have the same atmosphere as the Emerald did. I then moved on to RCI and did a cruise on Navigator which is a beautiful ship, enormous but again has a very different feel to the atmosphere on Emerald. Over new year, I was on P&O Ventura which again I wouldn't go back on - I didn't particularly like the ship - they've made a 5 year old vessel feel 55 years old, I didn't care of any of the 'entertainment' and I don't like the P&O regime. It's too rigid and stuck in the past - I like to sit at the bar, have a chat with the folks behind the bar and fellow passengers. P&O seem to do everything they can to dissuade you sitting at the bar. I don't want waiter service for my drinks thanks, let me make my own decision! Plus, it was full of cruise bores. Next time I'll try someone else - although who I'm not sure yet.

Anyway, back to our old friend the Emerald. She still exists and apparently is up for sale. I'd love to know what the price is and how much it would cost to operate for a year!

Anyway, for a blast from the past have a look here. She's still in excellent condition by the looks of it.

Enjoy!
http://maritimematters.com/2011/09/the-emerald-of-eleusis-and-piraeus-to-petrola-ing/
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.