Greece - Corfu Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Corfu.
:I would like to make a few comments on this dismal hotel. First impressions were good, however the first thing to come to our notice was the fact that the light did not work. After telling the owner of this, he handed us a light bulb.

From then on it was a series of incidents, the drains in our room (no 4) smelt so bad that in the end we went and brought some bleach, and the only way to take a shower was to fill the drain grid and shower outlet. The water from the shower ran out through the walls, which on the outside of the building were covered with green moss and black mildew. It had leaked for so long that it had rotted the bottom of the door frames to the patio.

We had one towel each when we arrived, this was changed on the third day. The towels obviously got very wet, there was nowhere to dry them but the rusty railings around the patio. The floor of the shower was never cleaned, and by the end of the week was horrible. The bin for the toilet paper was only emptied every third day, which is not very hygienic.

The patio had just one chair, which was coved in a cushion that had obviously been left there several summers, it was coved in mildew with rusty cushion buttons.

I woke one morning to find a huge spring sticking out of the mattress, I spoke to the girl at the bar (the owner was not around), she promised to get it seen to. However, when we came back to the room it was still there. The next day I spoke to the owners wife, she said she would sort it. When I slept on it that night I cut my thigh on another spring sticking out of the centre of the mattress, they had just turned the mattress over, the original spring was still sticking out of the other side. Eventually on the third night the mattress was changed.

There was no point in trying to contact our rep, I only saw her at the welcome meeting. There was also no point in complaining to the owner, he was very morose and only seemed to turn up to change the TV to golf or football.

The girl on the bar (Irene) was a star, and worked her socks off. One evening she was serving at the bar, serving the evening meal, and checking in new customers.

How this hotel got 3 stars is a mystery to me. Maybe because it has a pool. However, as the hotel is situated on a very busy road, it was like trying to relax on the hard shoulder of the M25.
NOT RECOMMENDED x
My girlfiend and I booked a week's holiday at this hotel, hoping to enjoy a week away from London. Unfortunately, we had a very similar experience to the person who posted the reply previous to this.

I can reliably report that:

- the towels (of which you receive one each) are still replaced as reguarly as ever, with substitutes for the hanky-sized rags provided as early as the 3rd day;
- the matresses are still as old and knackered as they were in the last review, however, I am pleased to report that the sheets do cover around 3 quarters of the surface area, protecting a majority of one's body from attack by the resident dust-mites;
- the bathrooms are still prone to flooding, although ours had the added highlight of bared electrical wiring and a tap on the wash-basin that dribbled slightly more slowly than my nose during a heavy cold;
the antique balcony furniture has not been devalued by repair or restoration in any way;
- many of the cigarette ends and piles of ash on the roof just under our balcony have been washed away, leaving only a 'concerning', rather than 'disturbing' amount of debris to observe;
the quality of the extensive buffet breakfast has been maintained - bread AND jam available most mornings!;
- the electrical system is not as powerful as the UK grid - this is ceratinly a bonus when you try to remove your shaver plug, only for a large amount of socket and rather hot wire to follow it into your hand;
- the chicken farm opposite is still in a 'natural' state, with uncontrollable heaving achieved for many guests on most mornings.

We flew back 3 days early, preferring to endure the cost of buying additional flight tickets rather than suffer 'authentic Greek hospitality' any longer - generally speaking, the people were very nice, however, this hotel compares very closely with the Bangkok Hilton - don't book a stay here under any circumstances!!!
i know the last couple of postings on this hotel have been bad but has anyone been here more recently? have they made any improvements?
Spence
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.