Spain - Costa Blanca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Blanca.
Hi, Going to Benidorm tomorrow, 17th march. Been many times and always wanted to go up to the cross but never got round to to it. So this is the week, what is the route can anyone help.
I walked up to the cross when I was there at christmas, and must say the views are amazing from up there...Definately worth the walk =]
I was up there on Monday afternoon, but where the road ends there were the policia and the fire brigade stopping people walking around the mountain to climb the last bit of the mound.

There was a fire going on the other side of the mountain and a yellow coloured helicopter was making several trips dumping a cargo of water.
We waited watching for a while and then decided to walk back down the road, after about 5 mins, the police car and fire engines passed us.
I did film it all again, except the actual cross stood by the side of it, for the reasons given above.
Breath taking views .

Sanjiiiiiiiiiiii
i was wondering where you start the walk , ive been thinking of doing it for ages plus it will keep me out the pub for a few hours ....i know the dalmatas hotel area very well , but i`m not sure where to start the walk.
OK, I'm no good with street names and can't even remember the streets where I've lived for nearly 30 years"¦.. :oops:
This is the way we go, I'm sure there is a quicker way, but I like to walk near the coast whenever possible and see the little coves that are just around the corner of Levante beach, rather than climbing through back streets"¦"¦..I also like to avoid as many hills with a very steep gradient, where possible.

From the Dalmatas head for the promenade, walk left to the end of the Levante beach and there are some steps by the side of the Hotel Lido.
Go up the steps and turn right, just keep walking on the road, (this follows the coast and the back of the new Gemelos buildings being presently erected.)
If you don't want to walk up the steps, the steep road/hill just before the steps will bring you around to the road that you need to be on"¦..

After a while, you will see a block of white apartments in front ( I think they are called Trinisol) and a left turn on the road, take the left fork ( I def know it's called Calle Dorada) and walk around the back of these apartments (heading/keeping right all the time)"¦if you miss this left turn, you will be walking on the lower road that doesn't go anywhere near the cross.

You will then join the road (Calle Montecarlo ???) but you will have avoided a steep hill.
Keep walking right (at the back of these white apartments) and then you will come to a mini roundabout on the road that's been half finished for ages, and then the road splits into two.

Take the right hand road that continues to run at the back of the apartments, don't be tempted to take the left hand road as it appears to climb and that's what you want to do.

After that"¦.just keep on the road, winding up and around the mountain until you can go no further.

The road stops at the bottom on the mound where the cross is positioned, you have to follow the well trodden path around the back of the mound and then climb the very last steep bit.

Sanji
  • Edited by Sanji 2008-08-14 12:12:32
great sanji , i will print print out what you have said and take it with me , thanks.
We visited the cross when we were in Benidorm.

Set off at 8.00 am so to avoid the midday sun!! We walked from the old town along the prom, and had breakfast at the very last bar before the road. It was lovely, sitting there watching the sun come up and the few people that were about. We took exactly the same directions as Sanji has mentioned, although we did carry on up the road at the little island until some workmen told us we couldn't get up that way! We returned to the island and took the correct road from there :oops:

The views from the Cross are amazing and it is so quite and peaceful up there. I really recommend this walk. Remember to take plenty of water, suncream, hat and a good camera!

Plus its a real good feeling when you see it lit up at night and you can tell people that you've actually walked to the top!

I took some pics from the top but am unsure how to download them onto HT's?

Best Regards

Elaine
hi all , i took sanjis advice today and went for a hike up to the cross to cure hangover , (bad idea in temps of 80+ degrees ) anyway sanjis instructions were spot on , but i forgot to take a left at sierra dorada , and ended walking a different path near some ruin over looking the sea , lovely view, took some great photos , but i now know the way to the cross , to warm to try it again today .

i will have another go once my legs have recovered ...time to go to the drop in for a san miguel .

talk to you soon.

tartanscone.
hi all , i took sanjis advice today and went for a hike up to the cross to cure hangover , (bad idea in temps of 80+ degrees ) anyway sanjis instructions were spot on , but i forgot to take a left at sierra dorada , and ended walking a different path near some ruin over looking the sea , lovely view, took some great photos , but i now know the way to the cross , to warm to try it again today

Don't feel too bad....been there and done it myself :oops: and you won't be the first or the last to end up walking on what I call the "bottom road".
The ruins are several old pirate look-outs from the time when the coast was invaded by Berber pirates.

Have another attempt...it really is worth the effort and apart from the spectacular views, you feel like a bird.

Enjoy your time :tup

Sanji
made the cross today Sanji , it was great , but some hike in this heat , took some fantastic photos , if i learn how to post them on here i will.

ps , i cheated .....i walked up , and spotted a taxi on way down , just below cross , so it was a taxi to the dalmatas for a swim for me , only 4 euro in a taxi . :really
We walked up to the Cross this week. It is a wonderful view from up there. We did it several years ago and I never thought we would manage it again.I wear a little gadget which measures the steps I take or the kms and we clocked up 11kms that morning. Weather is still great.
Sue
Glad you made it back up there.

Good to hear about the weather Sue.
We were in Benidorm in February this year and walked up from the Rialto to the Cross twice. It's quite a slog, knees cracking up the hill!

Once you get past all the new building work which is a total eyesore and ruining the whole area - the trip is well worth it - fantastic views over Benidorm - it's really spreading inland.

I now prefer the walk along the "middle road" through the Parc Naturel to the watchtower. A slighter shorter walk, but more peaceful - no building work. You can now climb up to the tower as there is a handrail all the way up - I would never go up before because it was so steep and slippery!!
We did this walk too in early February and find it easier than the walk to the Cross, but both give lovely views over Benidorm.
Sue
Was wondering if anyone would be able to give me some advice on this one please?

We're off to Benidorm again in July and would love to place a plaque on the Cross when we visit, in memory of my mum, who loved Benidorm - it was her very first holiday abroad and sadly her last, when suffering from Dementia. We've walked up to the Cross each year we have visited, but can't remember how they are attached to the Cross (ie glue, screws???) Also, do we need to get permission to do so and is there anywhere in Benidorm where we could buy the plaque, get it engraved and also perhaps a photo put on it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks! :)

Best Regards

Elaine
I am interested in this too. My wife's Gran's ashes will be with us later this month and some of them will be scattered at the cross. She loved Benidorm and visited over 20 times. A plaque would be a nice touch.
There is a member called JimHowe who has attached two plaques to the cross in memory of his friends, but unfortunately looking at his profile he hasn't posted since 1st Dec 2008.
Just a suggestion if the admin have his e-mail address, maybe a quick e-mail to bring his attention to this thread might help.????????????

My personal thoughts....
I would just do it and walk up there armed with a couple of screws and a screwdriver because knowing the Spanish you'll get bogged down in red tape, and as much as I'd want a lovely plague I think you need to remember certain things....
The cross is not solid wood, it looks to me like it's a metal frame shaped cross with wood panels covering it, in fact the front section that faces Benidorm is made of lattice/trellis to enable the florescent light tubes to shine over Benidorm, so for a plague you've only got 3 sides with "solid" wood ( which isn't solid in the sense) and may need a tall person to attach a plague above the ones already attached....people have also attached with press studs laminated bits of paper and flowers.

Wood rots and they must replace the wooden sections at some time, and for anyone who has been up there, you will have noticed that the hooligan graffiti artists regularly deface the structure, so would the workers put the plague back if it's screwed to a section that needs replacing.?, so I think to start with, I personally would get something small and not expensive and see how long it lasts.
The only other thing I would suggest is to write to the ayuntamiento, but I think you may be refused, made to pay or bogged down in permission forms, and as much as we love Benidorm, some of us are not Spanish citizens and they have a way of looking after their own first, especially in a limited space....the worst they can do, is take it down, so I personally would have an inexpensive plague made in the UK.

Sanji
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.