General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
why not try and do it where they do it best - scotland.
i'd suggest edinburgh
I'd love to jim but fear i may have left it too late to get anywhere for hogmonay! It gets booked up so quickly! Also fear that we will get there and it may be cancelled due to the weather as it was last year.
I do fancy doing New Year there though if it was possible.
How about Madrid. The Spanish make more fuss over New Year than they do at Christmas, and its such a stylish city.
Helen

sounds good - do you know of the better areas to stay where they will have things going on?
Hi JillyE! I haven't been there for years so wouldn't like to recommend anywhere. Why not try a post on the city breaks forum, I'm sure someone there would be able to help. You can usually get some cheap flights although I suppose they'll be a little pricier for new year.
Albufeira on the Algarve always has a massive concert,usually with at least one big international artist, and a fireworks display on Fisherman's beach for New Year's Eve.The concert is free and virtually all the shops and restaurants are open as the Portuguese really celebrate New year.If you go, be sure to pack some not-too-expensive clothes as there will be a lot of champagne spraying at midnight !!
Sagres

That sounds fantastic - just the kind of thing we are looking for!
I've started hunting for flights today - the cheapest we can get from Manchester to Faro on the 30th is about 400quid for 2of us! I think that sounds expensive, when there is still hotel on top of that, but maybe its about average for Faro. We are only looking to go for 2-3 days.
Really like the sound of it though and will hunt for some nice accomodation close to it now!
Try EasyJet from Liverpool.We've got flights in December for £84 return for the two of us, and they've cut another £20 off in their sale( :twisted: :sulk )New Year may be a different story however.
If you check http://www.albufeira.comfrom time to time, they usually have details of the New Year programme fairly early.
Hi Jilly,

You probably have left it too late to get anywhere for Edinburgh for Hogmanay, especially tickets for the street party unless you pay a fortune for an all-inclysive package at one of the hotels within the cordon. But we do celebrate Hogmanay with style elsewhere in Scotland:-) Events in Glasgow tend to get a bit overshadowed by the Edinburgh celebrations but they still know how to party long and hard in the west too and there is a street party centred on George Square.

Also, most country house hotels will have a good package with a traditional ceilidh etc. But there are also lots of local traditions that are great fun. For example in a number the north eastern coastal towns there are fire festivals which consist of bands of the local men running through the town either swinging fireballs round their heads or carrying flaming barrels of pitch on their heads which are then tossed into the sea at the harbour! All accompanied by a good few drams and followed by a few more!

SM
Have been to Albufeira for New Years Eve the last 3 years and going again this year - brilliant.

We normally pay £150 per person when the flights first come out but £200 for a flight now is still a good deal.

A 3 night stay in a 4 star hotel like the Brisa Sol would cost just under £50.

Have been to Prague for the xmas markets and they say New Years Eve there is also good.
could anyone tell me what amsterdam is like over new year. never been at any time of year but I can get a good deal with BA using my clubcard vouchers and converting them to airmiles . would still cost us £300 but i think thats good for 6 of us. have heard its very busy and lots of fireworks etc but not sure its just going to be just a bit too busy. there would be us + 4 kids (16, 16, 15 and 11) think they would enjoy it but not sure about us . has anyone been ????
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.