General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
What about Dublin? You can get there pretty cheaply although I think the cost of living is slightly higher there.

Don't know where you're from but here there's Edinburgh?
I did wonder about Dublin, but again someone had said that it was quite expensive. Have been to Edinburgh a couple of times now and love it but would like to try somewhere different. I live in Kendal, which is near the Lake District.
A few other city break options for the UK.

York - my favourite but no doubt coming from the north of England you have probably done that many times, Bath, Brighton, chester

If you are looking at inexpensive then head away from the Eurozone . All these are popular and would give you plenty of drinking opportunties :) Krakow (Poland) (my favouite so far and a trip to Auchswitz a must , prague (done that), Budapest (hungary),
Bratislavia (Slovakia). you could do accomodation at least much more cheaply .

Bruges is indeeed lovely but you would need to fly into brussles and presumably take the train out (about 40 mins) but I'm not sure how close the airport and station are . We used the eurostar which obviously isnt an option for you . Bruges is very much about just chilling, either by the canels in the summer or log fires in the winter . Its very pretty but there isnt a great deal to do there if relaxing isnt your thing . Great place to ride bikes though and we spent a lot of time on them cycling around the town/outskirts and along neighbouring canels and villages and it isnt cheap . Accomodation would cost you probably double of those suggestions above .

lyn
Bruges isn't cheap -now there's an understatement! It was always a bit pricey but since a certain film was released it's got worse. Gent is just as nice, slightly closer to Brussels and cheaper but still dearer than most other places mentioned and I do know a superb pub there!

Brussels Airport (that's the real one not the one used by Ryanair) has it's own railway station with easy links to Gent and Bruges. Charleroi Airport (the one Ryanair call Brussels) is not as easy, there is a local bus to town but it finishes before the last flights arrive.

A cheaper way to visit Bruges wouild be to stay in Ostend. It used to be quite lively but since the ferry service went into decline I've not passed through there so it could have changed. http://www.toerisme-oostende.be/index.phtml?languageid=3

But Eurostar is worth looking at. Check http://www.eurostar.co.uk , when it loads click "list all stations" next to the From box, then click UK. They will quote fares from most InterCity stations including Lancaster. Transfer in London is easy, it's about 10 minutes walk. Eurostar tickets to Brussels are usually valid to any station in Belgium.

But my real recommendations are Munich and Cologne - because there are new flights starting from Manchester this autumn and some bargains available. Easyjet are doing Munich (hooray!!) and Germanwings will have Cologne, both airports have easy train links to city centres. Both centres can be expensive but http://www.hrs.com can find special offers, especially at weekends, and don't ask for money up front. Stay outside the centre and it gets much cheaper, public transport runs until very late and can be cheap if you know the system (ask me when you've decided!!). I did have a link for appartments in Munich, I'll see whether I can find it again.
Krakow (Poland) (my favouite so far and a trip to Auchswitz a must
Agree 100 %. Tallin in Estonia is also a big favouite with us. A friend also recommended Sorrento , with trips to see Pompei & Vesuvius. In the UK - Bath is nicer than Bristol, York is lovely.
If you leave it late enough in November, why not try to visit the Christmas markets in Strasbourg. OK so some hotels put up their prices, but try chains like the Ibis who have loads of hotels in central Strasbourg.
If you haven't already booked, you may like to have a look at Dubrovnik.
We are going in October, and have done some research, sounds like it ticks most of your boxes.
By the sound of it, it will definitely be a romantic city. Its 17th century,very hilly and built within walls. There are apparently spectacular sunsets, that you can watch from a bar or restaurant overlooking the sea. Apparently it has a vibrant nightlife. and if you are careful you can eat reasonable cheaply- although there are also some very expensive restaurants. You are spoilt for choice with apartments in the Old Town, there seem to be hundreds and there are deals to be done. They are priced at between 50 and 100 liras per night. We got BA flights from London for less than £100 each. You also have the benefit of beaches,boat trips to islands if the weather is nice.
Wherever you choose, hope you have a good time!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.