Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Somy is great, have a look in the reviews :tup as for the others I coldn`t comment, HBR would be the better of the bunch from what I hear but if you want to save a few quid Somy would be a good choice.
I agree with FTV, the Somy although only a 2 star is a little gem and its in a good location to get to everywhere. FTV recommended it to me and we were not disappointed. One or two little things let it down (as they do in all Goan hotels) but not enough to spoil our stay. It is basic and clean with a good sized and clean pool. I would certainly stay there again. As for the Highland Beach, I have not stayed there, but friends have and they are returning there next month. The hotel is spread across a large area and I think it has 3 pools, I have had a look when going to meet our friends and the grounds look well kept and pools look clean. I didn't see the rooms although I didn't get any bad reports from my friends and believe me they would have said if they werent happy :D I'm sure I would stay there if I was looking for accommodation. I think generally (from comments on here) that the Highland is a good choice, probably a little better than the Somy as I think the HBR is 3 star although the star ratings over there don't reflect european standards. I can't help with the Beira Mar but someone else on here will know for sure.

Wherever you choose, don't be afraid to ask for another room if the one you are offered is not satisfactory, they will always try to oblige (in my experience). Have a great holiday. Fizz
We too are looking at the Somy for New year it is either that or the Don Hill, any one know what the Don Hill is like. Stayed at the MD in Apora last year but the Taxi drivers wrecked my head, especially at night when they doubled fares back to Apora. :que
Hi, i have never stayed at the don hill, but i have heard its at the far end of candolim near the kingfisher villa.
I would say the somy is a much better location, so no need to get as many taxis, and i have also heard some good reviews about the somy.
Thanks for the replies. They are very useful as ever.

This may seem a strange question but does anyone know if the Somy Resort rooms have tv's in? Believe me we don't go to Goa to watch tv but I need more sleep than my hubby and last time when we stayed at the Nizmar it was great for my hubby as whilst I snoozed he watched a few films and Indian TV which he loved!.

Thanks in advance
Ours didn`t but I`m sure it could be arranged, think I saw a rental price down in the reception, don`t know how much though
We rented a TV at the Somy but as hubby paid :tup :) I don't know what he was charged :duh I'll try to remember to ask him later. We don't sit watching it all the time either but it was nice to have on first thing for the news and the odd film when taking a siesta - (hubby snores so much, I rarely get a nap so I'd watch a film). :D The picture wasn't all that great as I remember so I'm not sure if I would bother again. The picture reception was much better at the Niz when we stayed there.
I would give the biera mar a miss,I have not stopped there,but I have heard a lot of bad reports about the place over the years ;)
Whiskas, asked hubby this morning (as I forgot before :oops: sorry) He thinks it was about 100 rupees per day for a TV at the Somy but he really isn't too sure now. It's more than likely gone up in price from when we went.
Wow thanks for that! That's really kind of you to find that out.

Will definitely hire a tv which will keep my hubby quiet whilst I am reading and sleeping!
I just hope he got the price right - I can't remember either as I leave it all to him :rofl Anyway whatever it is, it won't break the bank. The picture at the Somy, as I said before, was none too great but should be sufficient to watch the news, the odd film and any kids programmes. Hope it works out cheap for you, have a great time. Fizz
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.