Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
we have stayed in olu deniz a few times although not in your hotel, we loved olu, the lagoon area is fab, but make sure you go to 1 of the private beaches not conservation area as the private beaches in my opinion are better , nice and sandy with warm calm water, suara beach is lovely. the resort is more laid back than some of the bigger resorts so you dont get so much hassle, hisaronu is only 5 mins by dolmus up a hill for more shops, bars restaurants etc, its a very scenic resort

my hubby went paragliding and loved it, he said the worst part was the ride up the mountain in a rickety old truck with sheer drops, but once up there he loved the actual paragliding, we are going there in oct so im sure he will have another go lol :yikes

weather in june should be lovely without being too hot, good time of year to visit turkey, you get lots of different age groups there, im sure you will have a lovely holiday, if i can help any more let me know
I have never stayed in Olu Deniz so I can't help there but I can give you some tips for Turkey:

Weather - June shold be lovely weather, hot in the days, warm in the evenings. Take plenty of sun cream with you as it can be expensive out there and drink lots of bottled water.

Food - I take it you are eating out rather than at the hotel? Turkish food is lovely, lots of different kebabs, salads, fish, Turkish pizza (pide), soup and of course all those lovely sweet desserts. If you facny trying Turkish food look out for the restaurants where the locals eat and you will not only get the best food but it will also be cheap.

Drink - Local drinks are usualy quite cheep, the local beer is Efes and is very nice, local spirits are gin, vodka etc plus the famous raki, an aniseed drink, which is rather strong if you aren't used to it. Wine is quite expensive, especially in restaurants. Any imported drinks, spirits, beers etc are very expensive so be careful about ordering a bacardi and coke or Mailbu or something like that.

Shopping - Turkey is great for shopping but be prepared to haggle to get a good price, once you have got used to the idea it is quite fun.

Turkish People - I find the Turks very friendly, they will chat to you all the time, trying to get you int their restaurant, bar or shop. If you aren't interested just say "no thank you". they will a slo chat to you all the time generally so I'm sure you will make some new friends there.

Mozzies - If you are prone to being bitten try Johnsons Off, you can get it from the supermarkets and pharmaices and i find it works better than anything we get here.

Transport - The best way to get around is by dolmus, they are little minbuses that run very frequently and you just stop them when you see them. You can also get taxis easily everywhere

I can't think of anything else but if you want to know anything els ejust ask, I lived in turkey for a few years so I may be able to help.

Hope you have a great trip, I'm sure you will love Turkey

Kedi
I stayed in Olu Deniz for a fortnight in July 2008, we mainly used The Tequila bar and the Buzz bar and prices of drinks are similar to the UK so not much to worry about really. You do occasionaly get evenings when all cocktails are x amount etc which are worth noting. Think it was Sundays in the Tequila Bar. A short with lemonade about 12TL in the Buzz Bar but I guess you pay for the location. It is becoming slightly Brits Abroad with Kareoke and Wide Screen Sky sports, but due to the terrain the town can't really expand outwards so that contains development.

Have you read the HT resort reports from last summer ? They give a pretty good reflection of the place and some posters mention prices, which may help you, although I guess the prices are before the pound collapsed.

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/reviews/turkey/dalaman-region/olu-deniz/

Have a great time.
But its alot cheaper in the evenings to take the short dolmus ride up the mountain into hisaronu or ovacik the drinks are cheaper and alot more entertainment or for the more adventurios stay on the dolmus and go into fethiye it is great with fish market and fruit and veg market all in the centre, grat clothes shops for women and plenty of bars for men
the harbour is great at night for a relaxing stroll
:sun2
This will be our 4 trip to Turkey this year and will be just up the road from you (2nd time in the area) the best tip I can give you is RELAX and don't get stressed there's no need. If you need help or advice when you are there just ask they will be more than happy to help.
Hi All

Many thanks for the very useful info on Turkey and Olu Deniz. I am sure we will have no problem in relaxing in what looks to be a lovely place to stay. Counting down the days already :D

Regards

Andrea :sun2
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.