General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
I have often wondered if users of mobility scooters in this country are fully insured for all eventualities.
No idea on that one Nick, as I don't actually know anyone in this country who uses a mobility scooter.

Perhaps not in the cases I have mentioned, but I think an added problem is that some holidaymakers only ever use mobility scooters for the first time when they go on holiday. They may be able to cope at home unaided with any mobility problems associated with age or disability, but when they go on holiday they understandably want greater freedom and mobility to travel around the resort, without perhaps having to depend on a relative pushing them in a wheechair. Perhaps because of age and/or inexperience, problems could then arise for which they may not be insured.

David :wave
I have often wondered if users of mobility scooters in this country are fully insured for all eventualities.

Concern has been expressed about this in the past. The whole issue does need to be addressed. You can buy these with no checks on your ability or insurance. There have been many cases reported here in the UK of people suffering serious injuries because the people operating the scooter either had a machine unsuitable for their needs, or were incapable of operating them safely.

fwh
I am a mobility scooter user & I also feel the issue re insurance should be addressed.

There are many users who seem to think they own the pavements, and many who are obviously too old & frail to manage them safely.

The best I saw was a lady on a scooter waiting to cross a road & waving her white stick in the air & praying traffic would stop for her.
Now that's what I call dangerous.

Patka

At present, there is no legal requirement to do so even though Class 3 vehicles are taxed for road use.

These scooters are actually harder to ride than you would think and they vary greatly too so being used to one doesn't mean you can easily ride another.

While I would like to see further legislation on their use I fear that it will end up costing those that can least afford it.
I think that anything that is motorised and can cause damage to anything, be it a person or object, should have to have insurance as a standard thing just like a car...If the Owner/User cannot offord it then so be it... :que
I think that anything that is motorised and can cause damage to anything, be it a person or object, should have to have insurance as a standard thing just like a car...

Absolutely, I was referring to some kind of test or assessment of a persons ability to drive one and the expense of that rather than the cost of insurance. Dangerous riders give the rest of us a bad name and these are perpetuated by unscrupulous salesmen who persuade very elderly or frail people to buy scooters they don't have a hope of riding safely and usually at highly inflated prices.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.