General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
If in Europe Health Insurance Card (old E111) Karen

Added to list - many thanks for the suggestion :tup
This is a really good idea, I will look forward to using it

After our experience in May on holiday I would add in essentials items

Copy of passport
and if you have a credit card protection scheme make sure you have the number with you

Thanks

Linda

Another great idea and H.T. 'first',Mark !!
Under Optional essentials, I would suggest;
Phrase book for the local language of your destination, and,
A photocopy of any prescriptions so that the actual name of your medication can be shown if a replacement is needed.
I always scan our passports and Travel Insurance details and e-mail them to myself, so that they are available on my webmail if I need them.
Other - a bottle opener !!!!

• Edited by Sagres 2007-06-27 19:59:28
In with essential items I would add the original confirmation invoice. I always take it since it shows what you booked with the tour operator ie two bed apt, sea view etc. You then have proof if there is a disagreement in resort.

I usually always take a list of addresses for postcards as well- no need to then take a whole address book etc

If not taking a mobile phone, I will also take a list of phone numbers just incase ie bank, neighbours, Kennels etc

A check list is a great idea by the way- keep up the good work everyone :!:

Pam :D
This is a brill idea. Saves making a new list every year -Facial wipes - great for cooling down, a travel game and some extra coat hangers

Under "Leisure Items" - magazines and puzzle books.

Sticky pre-printed labels for postcards. Don't send them now, but that's what I used to use to save time.

Short extension lead with European or US plug on one end and UK socket on the other.

Travel plug/adaptor

Dual voltage battery charger for mobile and camcorder

luci :wave
Brilliant idea! :D
What about sunglasses, and a sunhat (or chavvy baseball cap if that's your thing...) ? I forgot my sunglasses one year and had to go out and haggle for some on the street market :oops:
Many thanks for your contributions so far.

I have amended the list (this has not been reflected in the original list in the first post though).

Keep them suggestions coming.

Mark :D
Travel Wash
Clothes Pegs
Travel clothesline
Spare lock (in case you have probs with the one on your luggage)
Baby Wipes......BRILLIANT for spills on clothing that probably wont be washed properly until your return as well as sticky fingers :wink:
Sweetners

Oh...I'm running riot :D
Am I missing it - or did you forget knickers?? :oops:
Already on the list - description is underpant(s)
I would suggest a lightweight suitcase!
tweezers in oct my daughter stood on a bee thankfully the lady on the sunbed next to us had some tweezers to remove the sting as the hotel didnt , ignore that just noticed you have got tweezers already silly me was looking under first aid items
Antihistamine tablets might be an idea

Aspirin to take the day before a long haul flight home & a needle & thread in a neutral colour - just in case that button pops off after all the indulging :lol: If you've left your car at a hotel the hotel's phone number. Last year we booked through holidayextras and when we got off the plane the hotel's number wasn't on the invoice. Had to pay a taxi instead of the free hotel transfer.

Cheap multi blade penknife..one with scissors, knifes, corkscrew, bottle opener etc. Why cheap...well I packed one in hand luggage by mistake and had it confiscated...luckily it was not my posh Victorinix one.

What a good idea, we have one on our computer that we print of and use each holiday, the following things we take include:
nail scissors
sewing box ( small) needles, cotton etc
hair dryer / tongs
tag ties ( electrical ties) plastic, use these for fastening the suitcases. can easily be snipped off if needed to be in.
Maps
travel information books
Piece of paper with name, address on, phone no, put these in suitcase incase it gets lost.
Theresa

Great idea :)

my suggestions.....

pen

for the writing of postcards, doing puzzles etc.

bubble wrap

for wrapping up gifts, bottles etc.

What about for the drivers putting the requirements and advisory items needed in cars (I know it is on the site elswhere).

Also why not some links to websites where additional info can be gained such as fuel prices, routes etc
First Aid : Decongestant tablets.

About 5 years ago, my ear drum burst during take-off. Was not a nice experience and prevented me from swimming for a week whilst it healed, had a personal visit on the flight from the Pilot who was most concerned and I wasn't allowed to dive - just as well that I had not intended doing that anyway :roll:. After a recommendation, I now always take two decongestant tablets about ½ hour before take-off. I haven't had any trouble with my ears since **she says touching wood** . They also help if you develop a cold whilst you are away too !!

Babies & Children : Calpol or infant paracetamol.

A definate must for any parent or guardian :wink:

Sarah :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.