Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
hello all
we were thinking of going to turkey in sept , we will be taking our 5 yr old son and a 5 month old baby , do you think this is a good idea , people keep pulling faces when i suggest this an say that turkey is still very behind the times ???????? and that they dont thin k its wise to take a small baby , having never been i am quite worried , any info would be much appreciated
Turks love children and they adore babies Even the waiters will spend ages with them You can buy disposable nappiesand other neccesities over there in the resorts. I beleive that it is actually one of the best places for a holidays with small kids as they are so well looked after by everyone. A friend went with her (then) 4 month old. She said on the first nightit look them 5 minutes to walk to the restaurant by the end of the holiday it took about half an hour as everyone now wanted to "speak" to Amy (the baby) and she was spoilt rotten. Just be careful about sun because although it is not as hot in September as july/Aug the sun is still very strong. Turkey is not "behind the times" I'm sure those that say that have never been. Have awonderful holiday
Behind the times! What a thought :wink: , we even have electricity and colour television these days :D

Joking aside. You will not have any problems. The worst of the summer temperatures will be over, although it is still hot and the sun will burn. The sea will be warm.

It is mostly common sense, find plenty of shade, use lots of high factor sun cream(best brought from home as it is expensive here) and lots of bottled water.

Bottled water can be bought anywhere. The supermarkets stock almost everything that you will need. Disposable nappies etc .You will find that the restaurants will do everything they can to make sure that your children are catered for.

I suspect the biggest problem will be the 4 hour flight and the messing about at the airports both in the UK and in Turkey.
I took my daughter to Turkey for the first time when she was 10 weeks old - No issues at all. Ditto all the things said above - You will have a great time!! She has been twice a year since - and loves it (now 3.5 years)

In Marmaris you have 3 big supermarkets (Gima,Migros & Tansas) where you can get all your nappies packet/jars of food - Would suggest you take your own brand of formula - you can buy it over there but more expensive

LA
I would agree with everything that has been said, the holiday resorts in Turkey are perfect for holidaying with small children and babies, when people say things like 'Turkey is behind the times', they obviously haven't been to the main resort areas. Your children will be welcomed with open arms, unlike some places in this country, the people there are very family-orientated. Have a wonderful time!
my grand son is only eighteen months old and he has already been in turkey twice ,once in june 05 and once in october 04 ,you will find everything you need for babies in all the big stores ,but i would reccomend taking your own dispoable nappies as the ones in turkey are a wee bit inferior ,and also take plenty of high factor sun block ,there is a chance the stuff you will buy there is fake as most things are copied in turkey .the turkish people love children so dont be surprised if you are stopped in the street by people wanting to look at your baby and show you pictures of their own kids .young turkish men are extremely proud of their children and like to show them off .use bottled water ,and take a small travel kettle to boil it and everything will be tiketiboo . have a great holiday and dont listen to people who have not taken babies before

bluepeterno1
i cant believe that people are so ignorant that they think Turkey is behind the times. even the most remote mountain villages in turkey have elsectricity.
the tourist restorts are more up to date than the uk.
We went to Turkey with our son when he was 10 weeks old and around seven months old - no problems if you do a little planning.

There was a very similar thread to this around 12 months ago which had a lot of info. A quick search should turn it up fairly easily.

My three handy hints would be:

1. Go self catering. Makes life a lot easier if you've got basic kitchen facilities.
2. Take sun protection VERY seriously.
3. Take mossie protection seriously. Adult mossie spray isn't suitable for babies, but there are lots of alternatives around.
We travelled to Turkey last summer with our daughter who was then 15 weeks old and we had a great time!! no problems at all!!! Poppy adapted to the heat brilliantly and was an angel for the whole two weeks. By the end of the holiday everyone knew her and we couldn't get down the street without everyone stopping us to chat to her!! We are going back again in July this year..can't wait! Any questions or worries you may have I will be more than happy to help you out with!!

(Edited to add - the thread 12 months ago was posted by me!! It was very helpful so if you search on all posts by me you should come across it!)
My daughter is thinking about taking a 4 month old baby to Turkey, anybody got any tips or warnings about this. We usually stay at Olu Deniz and we thinking of an All inclusive hotel so they can stay around the hotel most of the time. Late September!

Wendy
I travelled to Turkey last year with my daughter who was 15 weeks old at the time, here is a link to a thread I posted before I went, loads of handy info on there. we had a great two weeks with our daughter, she was no trouble at all, fitted nicely into the holiday routine and the heat didn't bother her a bit, she got totally spoilt off everybody we came across, if you have any more questions, feel free to ask!! http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=30191&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Hi, we went last October to Olu Deniz and in our group there was my grandson who was 8 months and my granddaughter who was 4 months. They both were as good as gold and we all had a great time. We arranged a private transfer with Orange cars and they provided car seats for the babies. My daughter was told to get Nestles drinking water as that had the lowest mineral content which she made up the bottles with. Both daughters took the nappies and the older baby had powdered food which my daughter took. A mosquito net is a must and we put citronella oil around the buggy as well. As said before the Turkish people love babies.
I took my 12 month old last year and as well as the mossie net for her cot I bought this mozzie repellant strap (flourescent pink!) from Mothercare which strapped to her pushchair so at night I didnt have to keep spraying her where we were out. She was not bitten once and it gave off quite a nice aroma in the room, think it kept us all safe from the mossies haha :lol:
We have just returned from our latest trip in a family group that included our 2 grand-daughters age 3 and 8 months. As I have said before on this forum its fine taking small children and babies, no problems at all. It was good though this year to find that J & M Travel who we arranged the transfer with now have 2 baby seats. Someone else mentioned they were also provided for their transfer, its good to know that some operators are realizing what things are important to us. Most people in the UK would never risk travelling without them, but unfortunately when on holiday sometimes you have to accept different standards.
Thanks for the helpful replies. I was wondering what kind of cots are supplied by the Hotels. Are they the travel cot type? We are looking at Hotel Alize at the moment.

Thanks

Wendy
Hi, my daughter stayed at the Alize a few weeks back the cot was a big wooden one, it was in good condition, the baby slept fine in it.
Hi

My husband and I took our son to Turkey when he was 20 weeks old. We stayed at the Marmaris Palace and had no difficulties at all. Everyone loved him! We took our formula milk and made it with the bottled water in the hotel (all inclusive), some people have said that you should only used Nestle water, I have never heard this before and my son was fine using different bottled water. I would recommend that you take an electric kettle with you. We also took Huggies nappies with us as the nappies are quite expensive!

We returned to Turkey last year when my son had jut turned 1 year. We stayed at the Sun Zeynep, in Belek. Again, we had no problems and loved this hotel. (they are very family orientated) Lots of things for my son to do, lots of places for him to play safely. We have booked this hotel again for Aug 2006, as we found this was a good/safe hotel for our son. Another great benefit is that it's all inclusive, if my so doesn't like something then you can change it and he can have something else. (i wouldn'g go with anything other than all inclusive now). My mum and dad are actually at this hotel at the moment. (they were there June 05 with us, they returned in Sept 05, they are there at the moment and they have also booked for Oct this year!)

This hotel is great!

Thanks
Hi, we are going to Icmeler in July and it is our first holiday with our daughter. Does anyone know the availability of things like Pampers/Huggies Nappies and Formula such as SMA in local shops?

We are staying at the Club Aquarium in Icmeler, any info relating to either the apartments of the baby question that may help us make the most of our holiday would be much appreciated.

Here's a link to a thread, started by me last year, all the answers to any questions you may have should be here!!

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=30191

I did notice SMA on sale in the chemists but it was the tiny tins and very highly priced, I'd just take your own with you and make up bottles using bottled water, that's what we did. We also took a load of the ready made cartons with us, they were great as they didn't have to be kept refridgerated. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.