Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
Hong Kong
9 Posts
Stayed at the Excelsior eight years back. Its part of the Mandarin Oriental group but not quite as posh although still a good four star. We had a side harbour view room, which I gather are a bit larger than the normal rooms.

Hotel was fine except we had a late flight out and the only facilities they provided was a pass to use the gym showers, not quite what you want when your preparing for the flight back to UK.

Position wise was good with easy access to underground and its own self contained shopping and restaurant areas.
Hi Myrtle
We stayed at the Excelsior Hotel in 1995.
We found it to be in a great position for transport links.
Also, it's directly above the place where they fire the noon-day gun (do they still do this?)

We upgraded to a front harbour view and considered it well worth it.

If we went back to HK, it's definitely a hotel that we'd consider staying in again.

Regards
Polly
we stayed there in 2002. Lovely hotel and I could have sat at the bedroom window for hours looking at the lights on the buildings.( What am I talking about? I did!! Jet lag is a terrible thing! :lol: ) It is a great position- close to the MTR and loads of restaurants within the area. I would have gone there this April but we couldn't afford it this time!
Thanks everyone. We will now give it some serious thought. We have had conflicting views on whether to stay on Hong Kong Island or on Kowloon. Howeve, the Excelsior looks ideal.
Hi Myrtle
I think I'd always opt to stay on the island rather than Kowloon, although there are some top quality hotels in Kowloon.

Fiona is right about the view across to Kowloon from the Excelsior Hotel, worth every penny to sit at the window and watch the water traffic.

Hi Fiona
Nice to meet you on here as well as the Goa forum.
We're thinking about going to Bali (for the 4th time) next year so I might be picking your brains soon.

Regards
Polly
yes Polly
Far East is one of my other forums!
Just returned from Hong Kong yesterday and stayed at the Excelsior. Excellent Hotel, had a superior harbour view room on the 17th floor, amazing views. The Hotel has excellent resturants and facilities, the TOTTS resturant on the 34th floor is something else, pricy but worth every penny. The staff can not do enough for you and it is situated close the the MTR, perfect location to explore Hong Kong from. Much prefered to stay on the the Island as apposed to Kowloon. Had the most amazing time, would recommend this hotel to anyone. :D
Tulip

How much did the Excelsior cost to stay in. I am considering this hotel for next year (Dec 07) as one of my options.

thanks

Iain
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.