Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
Hi AnneK Welcome to HT - allegedly Vitamin B1 helps prevent Mozzie bites, have never used myself so can't confirm if it works - I tend to use a good mozzie spray, hope this helps
ah thank you :tup b1 i remember now lol i would take anything to stop getting bite i normaly buy marks and spencer spray with deet in it i have 6 weeks now before i go so ill get them tomorrow and start taking them and be sure there in my system lol
once again thank you so much
Anne :sun2
No Problem Anne, have a good holiday and hope it works for you :cheers
I read the following in a recent Take A Break mag.

They highly recommended Incognito Spray £8.99. Apparently it claims to be the most powerful repellent. It's an all natural product, & masks the kairomones which the female mossie is attracted to. To order, find nearest stockists 020 7221 0667 or http://www.lessmosquito.com
thats sounds really good i would try anything thank you :tup
Anne
Hello anna, years ago on our first trip to Corfu a old greek bloke told me to use Lemon soap, I use mozzie spray as well but now days we always take Lemon soap and Lemon shower gel and find the soap and spray work well to gether and don't use any perfume at night as they like this.

Dave.
Avon Skin So Soft dry body oil is excellent as a mozzie repellant.
Re you paying €100 for treatment (I presume it was private), if in Portugal which is in the EU take an EHIC card with you and then if you have any problems you can go to the local health centres and hospitals and get the same treatment as the Portuguese Nationals get (Similar to the UK NHS), there is a book in charge and small charges for some treatments (It's not entirely free) & you will also get your prescriptions at a discounted price compared to private treatment. You can apply online for an EHIC card.
Dave thanks for that tip il defently buy some lemon soap and shower gel is there any brand you buy as i just dont get bite they really turn nasty and get infected they never go near my hubby
jayjan i have an EHIC card. but we were in pourto rico in april and just our luck we were caught up in the ash and were delayed for 6 days and and when i went to the health center she wasnt havin anything to do with my insurance at all as she saidthat the date was up as we were there for 1 week and we had run into the second weekshe said they wouldnt pay her she even wanted me to get a another 2 injections which would have been another 200e but since she had gave me the prescription for the antibotics which they charged me 27e for i never went back when we came home my hubby got intouch with the insurance and they payed me £47 i guess it was better than nothing
so fingers crossed ill take my B1 ill take my lemon soap and shower gel with me i even have the skin so soft in the house so ill take that
ill buy the mozzie spray that Glynis gave me the link for so if any of you are in alvor in september when i am there you will no me right away lol ill be the one wearing the net :rofl
thank you all for your tips
Anne
Hello anne, we just get Sainbury's Lemon sorbet shower wash it only cost a £1.00 and there Lemon soap, it works just as well as the dearer ones on the market.
I also see you say your insurance ran out while you were on holiday, if you are having more than one holiday a year you should have a look at a yearly one, me and Mrs Holidaymaker got one this year for both of us for £30.00 with up to 30 days and as many trips as we want.

Dave.
thanks Dave i go to Sainburys alot ill get it tomorrow that sounds great i was going to look into that as last year we were away 3 times for this holiday we payed £31 for the week with tesco,s do you just book it with thw travel agent or do you shop about
Anne
Hi, we tried this year Moneysupermarket.com it give lots of prices to pick from well known insurace dealers, just Google it.

Dave.
Please keep on topic [mozzies and lotions there for]

please discus Travel insurance in the relevant thread in the general enquirers forum

Wizard
Wizard sorry about that its my fault i get carryed away
Anne
If you like marmite then have it spead thinly on toast for a couple of weeks before you go, it's full of B vitamens. It worked for me in Canada in June :)
I have read that if you spread Marmite on yourself it keeps mosquitos at bay.

Also keeps everyone else at bay and stains the pillow something horrible!
Marmite you either love it or hate it lol and i am the one that hates it dont think my hubby would be amused if i spread it on myself :rofl lol thanks for all the tips
Anne
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.