I posted this below as a review on HT a few weeks ago but it hasn't appeared yet.
Hopefully the information below may cause folk to reconsider booking for 2013.

REVIEW - Hotel Turquoise, Side, Turkey
Date: 11-25 September 2012, Solo Traveller

Good points - friendly staff, very clean, lovely hotel grounds.

Bad points - absolutely miles from anywhere, zero local bars or shops, almost wholly German and Russian guests and food tailored to them.
(As other reviewers elsewhere have said, “one can always find something to eat”. True.
But I reckon evening dinner should be a pleasure to look forward to, NOT a search for edible food!)

Worst of all - this hotel cheats.
About a year ago I booked, through Thomson Holidays, and paid in full the extra supplement for single use of a double room with full balcony.

When I arrived I was offered a small box room (1170) next to an elevator, stairs and all of the service ducts. Regular travellers know that these rooms are the “rooms from hell” in hotels, the ones to always avoid because of the corridor noise and flushing toilets all night.

I immediately complained and was offered an alternative – a different small box room (1120) next to a different elevator, different set of stairs, and set of service ducts. So I complained again, and was told those were the only two “single rooms” available.

I produced my invoice and proved I’d paid specifically for a “Double Room with Balcony”. This caused reception to go into a back room to consult.
They returned to claim “these ARE double rooms, but the only doubles we sell to solo travellers”
So I then asked for the General Manager. I was told he was unavailable and had gone home at 4pm.
I said I would telephone the Thomson office in Antalya and demand an immediate change to a different hotel. Again the reception staff went to discuss in a back room.

They emerged to offer me a third room (6218)
– not next to stairs, elevator or service pipes, but it didn’t have a balcony.
I was told I could have this, if I signed a piece of paper saying I would forgo a balcony.

It’s interesting to note that the design of the Turquoise hotel means it has a large number of rooms without proper balconies – just a floor to ceiling opening window with a fence to stop you falling – apparently called “French” or “Juliet” balconies. Ones you cannot step out on.
I’m guessing they have difficulty selling these rooms and so that’s what they gave to me.
I was now really hot and tired from travelling all day, so I gave in, under protest, and made sure that my feelings were fully stated on the piece of paper I signed.

I just mentioned this to the Thomson rep next morning.
Not a formal complaint because I’d decided to get on with my holiday and make the best of it.
A few days later the Thomson rep got back to me. She had investigated the situation and tried unsuccessfully to get the hotel to show the actual rooms offered, and give a proper explanation.
The hotel wouldn’t even show her the paper they had got me to sign!
She discussed it with the local Thomson office manager – and they agreed the hotel had cheated, and decided to immediately pay me significant compensation. ON the spot!
I assume they will deduct that cash from what they pay they hotel. GOOD!
That is great customer service. Thanks Thomson and the excellent local rep (Ali)
– I will continue to book regularly Thomson Holidays.

I’ll never ever again consider the cheating hotel Turquoise and I’ll do my utmost to ensure as many other folk as possible avoid this hotel.