Eastern Europe Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Eastern Europe
Hi

I can recommend the NH Budapest, its a 4* quite new and very modern and stylish. We paid £50.00 per room per night for 2 adults and 1 child on a bed and breakfast basis (fantastic breakfast). Although not very central, it's still within walking distance of the Houses of Parliament and the River Danube for example and 5 minutes from the West End City shopping mall (400 shops/restaurants etc).

If you want to be more central the Taverna Hotel on Vaci Utca, the main shopping/pedestrianised street is normally about the same price, that's a 4* but not as smart. You can book them both on http://www.totalstay.com also check out http://www.octopustravel.com as although they are the same site, totalstay 'normally' works out cheaper, (but sometimes not lol).

We loved Budapest and was there in December. :D
:lol: Cheers totp We'll have a look at those. Hope we have as good a time as you had.
OK that's us booked!
We've booked the NH from Easyjet, it cost £130 for 3 nights, which is a good deal I think. :D

Now, next question, what's the best way to get to the Hotel from the airport, would that be the airport shuttle? Or is rail a realistic choice.. the hotel is quite near the West train station.

Thanks for all the advice,

Russ.
Get the airport minibus, it costs just over £10 each return (3600 ft). There's a desk at the airport, just tell them what hotel you are staying at, pay for your ticket and then wait for a driver to call your hotel - we waited about 30 minutes, then it takes you to the hotel door. On return, just get your hotel to phone them up 24 hours before, to book the return trip. It all worked well for us.
That's great, I'm sure you'll love the NH, and that's a bargain rate, well done!

We arranged for a private taxi transfer which worked brilliantly. When we arrived the taxi driver was in the arrivals hall holding our name up on a card. We were wisked through to the hotel in no time and he was waiting for us in hotel lobby at the agreed time for our return flight.

It cost 10,000 HUF return (about £30.00) for 1-4 people. It's no risk as you don't pay anything when you book and only pay the driver 5,000 HUF for your journey from the airport to the hotel and then pay the other driver 5,000 HUF on your return:- http://www.hotelonlinehungary.com/budapest-airport-transfer.asp

A tip for a nice Italian restaurant just around the corner from the NH is the Okay Italia (not the one on the corner by the Mall). 5 of us ate there for £30.00 (main course, wine and coffees), nice simple authentic food, good atmosphere.

Enjoy your visit. :D
I think that's going to be the best option thanks, we're only going for 3 nights, we can do without a lot of faffing on. :)

Russ.
been to the NH hotel in Barcelona... good standard at a reasonable price.

dsOrco, will you go back to NH again??
Definately would, we were well impressed with it. I just hope we can get as good a price next time as we did in February.

Russ.
ar~ just checked and for April it is going to cost about 90GBP a night :cry: ......

need to find a cheaper one...
The Agro Panorama is 3 or 4 Km out of the centre of town (Budapest X I think) but is cheap as chips! With the transport system over there you could be in the centre of things in a matter of 20 minutes or so.

Hope you find somewhere suitable.

Russ.
I can now highly recommend the K+K Opera, as the name suggests it is next to the Opera House.

Every attraction in Budapest is within about a twenty minute walk, or you can just jump on the metro which is about 50 yards from the hotel door.

The rooms are very comfortable with a good bathroom and satelite tv with Skynews, Eurosport (in English), a travel channel and a couple of others in English.

Breakfast is buffet with just about everything you want (although the scrambled eggs were a bit dodgy), you can even have champagne (well sparkling wine) for breakfast if you want.
Hi

We stayed at the Erszebet Hotel which was central and not very expensive. It is within walking distance to the main shopping street Vatci Utca. Also there are many good hungarian restaurants to eat in which are reasonable in price. I love Hungary however, I am bias as I am Hungarian and can speak the language fluently. To get around Hungary we bought a ticket and the Metro staion which was a lot cheaper the Budapest Card. Always make sure you have tickets on the transport as the fine is very high. If you have any questions email me. Be careful when going to the markets in Budapest as the pickpockets are out in their droves. verywhere you go people will offer to change your currency for good rates (stear clear) make sure you cnage your currency in the local banks. Cash machines are plentiful and that is what we used whilst we were there. Have a great time. I love it.
I love it too, the hungarian people are lovely, Budapest is the only capital city I've been to where the inhabitants are very friendly. Next time we go we're thinking about going further afield than Budapest, do you have any suggestions as to where to go in Hungary? It'll have to be somewhere that English is widely spoken 'cause as usual we English don't speak other languages :lol:
Found a budget hotel Moedosz off Oktogon Metro, looks very central to everywhere.

However, is there any advantage in staying, say Gellert (single for EUR75 pn), that has a bath itself?

Also, how much should I exchange for a 2 nights break? For transport, entrance, cafe.....
I would like to say that Octogon is not near the centre but it is accessable via the metro. The Gelert is a nice old hotel which is an experience in its self. If you are going to go further afield then visit Egre it is a very nice part of the Country and very pretty with some nice tourist sites. Also go to Pecs which is another nice place to visit with caves etc. To be honest the train journeys are very short short so you can visit other places and go back to Budapest the same day.
hopefully off to budapest later in year,just back from prague,which we thought was great.anyone knoww what the prices are like in budapest in comparison to the czech rep?cheers....
I have just booked the NH Budapest Hotel, flying from Stansted next Tuesday for 2 nights. We got an excellent deal, flying scheduled with Malev. I found the deal through lastminute.com for £142 per person (incl breakfast). Having just read the reviews, I appear to have made a good choice, although the choice of hotels through lastminute.com was very extensive.
Anyone offer recommendations for food/nightlife for two forty-somethings and suggestions for the must see places?
Alan
Hi Izal47

That's a great deal - good choice! I'm sure you'll love it. Have you gone onto the link to tripadvisor.com that I left in an earlier post?

I can recommend a nice Italian restaurant, just a few mintues walk from the hotel - called the Okay Italia on Svent Istvan (don't go to the one on the corner by the Metro/Mall, it's the one nearest to the hotel). It was only a small, simple place but the food was great. I think we only paid £30.00 for five main meals and drinks including a litre of wine! - great staff too. We stayed at the NH in December.

Have a great time!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.