Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
15 years, 16 visits including the one I am currently planning for november then also hoping to sort one out for january!
10 years and 10 visits - changes to the place don't make a difference to us, roll on 2009.
Im still classed as a newby ....6 times in 5 yrs and going again in Feb 2009 ..and October this year if I can wangle time off works :no :tut .think Im addicted ...the places and the people, friends I have made sure do get under your skin...so to speak :wave:
Hi I dont post very often but have been a member for a while,
Ive been going yearly to goa since 1994 Theres been lots of changes I can tell you you used to be able to walk from calangute steps to the fort and only see about 3 shacks there used to be a 20 - 30 min walk between them flights went via barhain and there was smoking at the back of the plane.
Those were the days oh and kingfisher was about 12pence a bottle that and kings was the only beer you could get.
Talking of booze I once (many years ago) managed to get a bottle southern comfort crystal from barhain airport (beutiful stuff) anybody ever seen it ?
The boat on the beach is the second one ive seen there was another by the fort and they cut it up while i was there one year.
Lost track of the actual individual trips but I reckon around 28 is about right since 1996. I have had 2 trips this season 4 months duration and this one will be just under 6 months. Who is taking the bets? I'll go for Gramps as having the most trips.
I remember the days of being allowed to smoke at the back of the plane and if you couldn't get a seat in the smoking part you would have to watch for somebody going to the toilet and nip into their seat for a few minutes for a quick cigarette!!
Am I right in thinking the postal applications are back on for the comming season I was freezing in the queue at bradford sorry if its off topic. :offtop
Apart from the begining of the season when postal votes were stopped, they have been fine since then with a quick turn round.
I have not heard anything yet as to next seasons visa apps, but fingers crossed they don't go down the wrong route again (if they do, hope it's better organised and a decent price)
Lost count but it must be 40 +. First time, since about 1958 when I was in port in Marmagoa, was in the 80s, the only charter firm was Inspirations, and the flights were with British Caladonian, using Tri- Stars. They even one season, put on a weekly flight from Edinburgh, stopping off at Newcastle to take on more passengers. We refueled at Amman in Jordan, not allowed off the plane. so the journey from Edinburgh took about 14 hrs. !
We used to stay in the old Alphaville ( now the Silla Resort), all the room doors had big bolts outside and you locked up your room with a huge padlock.
Only once been during the festive season, when we flew in on 30th Dec for the Millenium,
( 14 days for £500 at the Horizon in Calangute) booked last minute, the brochure price was £1500., we also got a huge gala dinner at the Sun Resort in Apora thrown in
Four in the one year was the most, again flying out at the start of the first Gulf war for a week, cost at the Mira in Calangute £ 130, with a visit to Baku to refuel on the way back !
Happy days. Alan
Ive only been 6 times, but first went in 1996 (i think?)

I would have loved to see what it was like before that, as my dads friend was a Goa regular, but then around 1996, or maybe a few years before, he started going to Vietnam because Goa was too 'touristy' for him.
I've been 12 times now. (OH 11 times) Not sure if we will reach Alan's total though as I think we shall be for ever playing catch-up :D
First visit was 1990 twice a year till 2001, then from 2001 for long stay 4 or 5 months ever since :)
and we still love it :tup .so around 30/31 Visits.
I think about 16 times since 1999, I had a year off to go to Thailand.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.