Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Quite a dilemma Maz, we have done DIY a few times usually FO with one nights accommodation (not sure if this would be classed as a package or DIY in this instance, probably not) or as I did last time (and hoped/planned to do again) flew scheduled with Qatar Airlines.

Not too sure now what is best but I guess whichever we choose to do we will all need to ensure we have enough money or take plastic to cover unexpected events - sure most of us do anyhow. Looks like we all have even more considerations to take into account when we are booking our next trip and given that booking to Goa can often be a mine field of problems such as visas it's just another worry we could do without.

Sadly though this was a totally unavoidable/anticipated event, out of anybodies hands - I don't suppose it would have crossed any of our minds that a volcanic eruption in Iceland could cause the problems that it has. :que

Fizz
I agree Fizzy. for me i went flight only with qatar and then booked my acc separatly. Now i dont posses a credit card as i got rid of them all 18 months ago. I only have a debit card. So you do have to factor in the unexpected. Airline /holiday company going under, Strikes and acts of god.

It does highlight some problems with FO/RO even having insurance isnt always enough.

I would have honestly been in a bad way had i been stuck in Goa. At the end of my holiday and not much cash in the bank. (although im sure i could have begged a bed with my friends in the Spice Garden) Vernon would have had me working with veronique and viola :D
:D I could have found something to do too, the lady at my guest house often needs an extra pair of hands, pay wouldn't be much but free board would suffice ;) I just wish I had booked now, just think - I could be stuck there now :D

Joking apart, I know it isn't a joke for the many who now find themselves in this difficult situation.
From what I understand, under "normal" circumstances if for some reason the plane can't fly it's the airlines duty to get you home and they have to make provision if they can't.So if you have flight only it doesn't make any difference.However, as a volcano has been declared an act of God, they are relieved of their responsibilities and so you are presumably on your own until you can fly home. You can't claim on your holiday insurance either apparently.
As previously stated though, that's my understanding of what happens. Anyone had any experience ?
I understand that they have to fly you home Dave ;) but the point was if i was diy with no money to pay for accomodation and no credit card id be in trouble with no big holiday company sorting out acc for me. Im sure that there are some people like that now and my heart goes out to them
Sometimes I have checked a DIY price against a cheap package tour and the package tour is often the best one. If you book the cheapest accomodation i.e 'Dormhouse', then sort out somewhere you want to stay, you have the flight and the protection that a package tour offers, plus a rep to call if/when you need advice. Some Monarch holidays in November were worth booking, and came out cheaper than flight only. Weird but true.
as a volcano has been declared an act of God, they are relieved of their responsibilities and so you are presumably on your own until you can fly

Strange that with all the proof insurance companies need before paying out a claim you would think they might need to prove the existence of God before refusing one on the grounds of his/her act. :think :think

I think a lot of us have been mulling this possibility over the last few days.

Set me to thinking about a no fly cruise from Southampton.

Feel dreadful for the hundreds of thousands who have had their plans ruined.

Papa
Hi MazD

In reply to your question, I don't think it makes a lot of differance if you have good insurance which you won't know until you cliam.

Those on a package should be looked after by the tour company foc until they get back to the UK but if the flights are only once a week they will probably have to wait for the next weeks flight, be it in a week or two unless they can be found places on other charters.

Those on flight only with a charter company are in the same boat but have got to look after themselves and try to claim on the insurance when they get back.

Those on scheduled flights should have a refund that they can use to rebook a flight once the airlines are taking bookings again so might be able to get back in a few days if they can be fitted on to a flight but prebooked customers will have piority.

One thing is for certian, nobody is go anywhere in a hurry
Certainly bears thinking about. We were stranded 24 hours last year having booked FO with Oympic. Once we had caught up with their rep, he was more than helpful, and we could have taken advantage of a free hotel room for the night, however, the place we were staying offered us an extra night free of charge anyway, so, we stayed there. This was just a 'one off' but the present crisis is obviously a strain on the biggest operators, so, they may not be as generous. I would not like to be a tour rep this week !!!
Correction to my bit above

Flight only passangers I have spoken to today said they were told late sataurday night that they had to report to the airport as normal for the Sunday morning flight, then First Choice took them to a 5* in hotel in Bogmalo for Sunday night but they have now been moved to the Palmarina in Calangute, so even FO passangers on the charters are been looked after.

Freinds that were on Jet and stuck in Mumbia with about 60 others were put up one night in a 5* hotel but told to get out the next day, after a heated exchange they were told they could stay another night but had to find there own way back to Goa which some did but a group refused to leave and in the end Jet paid for another night and took them back to Goa. They were also told that they would get a refund some time but would have to buy a new oneway ticket and they could not get one before Wednesday then the price goes up but the group that stuck it out were promised they can reschedule their tickets foc. Kingfisher passangers have had a simular experience but no 5* hotel, niether airline seems to have handled it very well
We are on a package with Jewel in the Crown. (flying Monarch). JITC are saying that we can continue in our 2* hotel for now but will not provide food or drink. Those in higher star are being moved, and if unwilling, are told they they must pay for the hotel.... This seems to be at odds with what the BBC are saying?
According to the BBC internet news TUI are loosing £5m a day. Airlines, and many were already in poor financial health, will be suffering too.
This doesn't bode too well for the holidaying public of the future.
The winners must be the ferries and cruise operators, and if our wondeful spring weather continues, the home holiday market !
We've just booked up today for our trip next February - a 2 week package in a 5* hotel. :cheers

This will be our first ever stay in a hotel, in 11 years of visiting Goa - we usually prefer to stay longer on a do it yourself arrangement. However, recent events have have forced us to re-appraise our attitude to package holidays. I can just imagine how frustrating it would be to find ourselves stranded in any part of India.

Our summer holiday will still be as per our usual preference - renting a house for a month in the south of France. I can "parle" a little French, and I'm sure I could manage to source alternative methods of repatriation, if we ever found ourselves stranded.
I,m sure I remember something about if you came out on a charter flight, then you can only leave on a charter flight, you couldn,t fly back out on a scheduled flight, or vice verso. :que Perhaps its to do with that rule, but you would think common sense would be taking control just this once ;)

Gaz
but you would think common sense would be taking control just this once

I do not think you can use the phrase common sense and Goa can be used in the same context.

Papa
If you came with, say, Thomas Cook you can't not fly home with Monarch. Never heard that if you travelled Charter you could not go home Schedule - a couple of years ago friends travelled Charter and missed their plane home and went back Schedule.

This is why this happened to this lady - bribes - what ever next :D

http://avindia.blogspot.com/2010/03/briton-says-cop-sought-bribe-to-permit.html

They are probably trying to keep the holiday makers they have got as others are unable to travel to Goa.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.