Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
we did this cruise last may no problems with ship going through the bay of biscay, ship exellent the only problem we found if the ship is full was after the show in the theatre it was difficult to find a seat for a drink, food was 1st class. We got free parking with our deal but most hotels do parking if you stay the night before your cruise not sure of the prices though.

hope this helps a little :)

stan simmons
Booked parking/stay with Jury Hotels they seemed to do the cheapest deal...Sorted !
nice hotel some friends of ours stayed there a couple of week ago and said it was spot on, i have cut and pasted a reply i got for our cruise to the cannaries last year ( i hope this is allowed ) it might help with trips, we booked ours direct on the rcc web site simply because we like to get everything sorted before we go. have a look you can log in with your booking ref book trips and look at your booking. hope this helps a little :)

Things to do in the Canaries

We have visited three of the islands in the Canaries, Gran Canaria ,Tenerife and Lanzarote. However, we have only spend a day in Gran Canaria on a visit with Arcadia in 2008. As well as a visit on Arcadia 2008 we have spent two glorious holidays on both Tenerife and Lanzarote. But, the holidays were for 2 weeks duration and we hired a car for one week on each, so we had time to explore the island.

Although both Tenerife and Lanzarote get a bad press, I think it is because some tourist do not go beyond the beach/bar areas and do not see the real country-side. There will be trips going to some of the places I have mentioned, and if you decided to DIY it may assist in deciding where to go in the time you have there.
Tenerife
With Tenerife being the largest of the Canaries you will not get around everything in one visit, so when it comes to attractions what to see is my own opinion.
Shopping
Santa Cruz De Tenerife (Capital) Within walking distance of the ship. Main shopping area is around the Plaza de la Candelaria. This area is pedestrianised. Just North of main Port area. On leaving the port area, when you get to the main road you need to cross over the dual carriageway, there are places, and it is just to the left of the main square.
Mercado Nuestra Senora de Africa is Santa Cruz main produce market, Monday to Saturday. Sells everything from meat, fish, flowers as well has cheap CD's and DVD's and is located on Calle de San Sebastian.. On Sunday there is a flea market outside main building. Both of the above are about 500 metres from the port.
There is another small shopping area for those of you that like Corte de Ingles, it involves a small walk, on leaving the port area, when you get to the main road, turn left and follow the Promenade, keeping the road to your right, after about 20 mins, just before the Monument look to the right and you should see a grassy area with tram lines going through, cross over to the far side, over the grass and slightly to the left and then right and you will find Corte de Inglas up to the left. When you leave CDI do so by the bottom corner entrance and cross directly over the road and follow the road going directly away you, this leads back to the main shopping area and also goes past the market, it looks a little down and out but is quite safe.
Playa de Las Americas/Los Cristianos
About 45mins by car from Santa Cruz De Tenerife. This area mainly gets bad press because of the nightlife etc. However, the area around the Parque Santiago III hotel is excellent for shopping and dining. There are three areas worth looking at, firstly in the corridors under the hotel, opposite the hotel and if you stand with the hotel behind you turn right and walk for about 300 mts and there is another small shopping precinct on the right. Opposite there was a musical fountain the last time we visited, do not know if it is still running and also a crazy golf course.
Beaches
Try Playa de las Teresitas, just North East of Santa Cruz. This is the main local beach. White sand.
Playa de Las Americas/Los Cristianos. I would recommend the beach at Playa de las Vista. Excellent shallow beach with plenty of sun beds.
There are many others.
Places to see (in order)
Puerto de la Cruz; hosts Laro Parc. A tropical wildlife park that has an abundance of animals including a penguin centre that has real snow and a Parrot park. A fair way from the capital but well worth the visit. There is also a Botanical garden on the outskirts of the town. With many different variety of flowers and plants.
Mount Teide; is a must. If you come up from La Laguna side (north) you will pass a visitors centre this is worth a visit to learn the history of the Volcano. On reaching the main area of the volcano there is small café with a cable car. If you want to get to the very top you will need to take the cable car, extra cost. However, this gets full when the main coaches arrive any time from 11am.
Playa de las America; just to see what the hype is about. Just outside, more to North of Los Cristianos is the Eagles Park. Much smaller than Laro Parc, but still plenty to do. This has eagle shows, tropical birds, boat rides and many more other shows and walks.
Guimar; South West of Santa Cruz. A collection of pyramids and visitors centre. Founded and studied by Thor Heyerdahl, Norwegian Explorer
Dolphins and Whales; both Playa de las Americas and Los Cristianos have harbours that offer trips to see whales and dolphins. Be warned however, nothing is guaranteed. If I remember right from our last visit the trips normal take about 2 hours and are at regular intervals.
Food; Playa del las Americas and Los Cristianos the restaurants are mainly British type. However, in Los Cristianos you are still able to find some local restaurants by looking down the side streets.
Lanzarote
Although a lot smaller than Tenerife I think it has much more to offer the tourist in places to see. The majority all of these are within an hour from the main port of Arricife.
Shopping
We found that the shopping areas in Lanzarote a poor second to Tenerife. Although the capital Arrecife has a shopping area it is not up to the standards of Santa Cruz De Tenerife or Playa de Las Americas
There is a little more on offer on Peurto del Carmen. Especially in the Biosfera Shopping Centre new the old town. Taxi from Arricife to Peurto del Carmen. It was €12 in 2007. Ask for McDonalds.
Places to Visit
Cesar Manrique House. Fantastic house built around a lava flow. Has wide bright rooms and a beautiful garden. Well worth seeing.
Jameos del Agua (Caves) - well worth the visit. Created by Cesar Manrique and so easy to explore using the subterranean walkways. Once you have paid you are then left to spend as long or short a time as you require and brows the cave in your leisure.
The pathway down leads you down to a nightclub area that is open three nights a week, and then onto a large underground lake that holds albino crabs, after this you go through a walkway along the right hand side of the lake that leads you to another small bar area and then up into the open air section. Here is the swimming pool that only the King of Spain is allowed to swim in. Steps then lead up to a terraced area with a small cafe and a Volcanic Museum.
There are plenty of opportunities for photographs and areas to sit and just take in the surroundings.
Las Cuevas de los Verdes (Caves) - they are part of the same system as Jameos del Agua and again a must see. These are natural lava caves that you go through with a guide and this takes about 45 - 60 mins, depending on the group size. Our group was about 20 strong and this was a good size because all the explanations are done in Spanish and English if there was any more it would be more difficult to see and hear.
Because these are volcanic caves you can see how the lava flowed on the side walls and they have also used lighting to emphasis the main areas. The main feature of these caves is a secret area that will be shown to you by the guide so I will not enlighten you any more on that.
Again, plenty of opportunities for photos and just a small warning in places mind your head you will have to duck to go through some of the areas. No Health and Safety here.
With both of the above they are busy and because the Las Cuervas caves have a guided tour I suggest that if you are pushed for time you do these first.
The caves are about a mile apart.
Timanfaya (Volcano)
If you decided to include this can I suggest you try and sit on the right hand side of the coach, better views. At the end of the coach tour you can then visit the displays of heat. After which a visit to the restaurant for a drink or some food, hot food after 12 noon (cooked by the Volcano heat) and then a visitors shop.
Guinate Tropical Park - lots to see here, especially for the children. Parrots, Toucan, Ostriches, Tortoise, Monkeys to name but a few. There is a Parrots show also, three times a day. Worth a visit About 1 hour from Arrecife.
Los Hervideros; The rugged coast line just along the coast from Playa Blanca. Large caves formed by the crashing of the sea. Walkways along the top and partly inside with viewing platforms.
El Golfo (green lake) - Large lake cut off from the sea many years ago. Now turned a bright green. If you do visit and want lunch can suggest the La Lopa restaurant, first restaurant on the right as you approach the main village. Excellent service and very reasonably priced. Can I recommend the Canerian stew and filleted catch of the day, served with Canerian Potatoes and Mojo sauce.
Mirador Del Rio (viewing point) - spectacular views over La Graciosa island and the entrance fee also allows you a free drink. About one hour from Arrecife.
Yellow Submarine: This goes from a small marina just outside Peurto del Carmen. It was a little expensive, but well worth the trip. Lots to see, your own porthole, not cramped, diver outside to attract the fish.
Gran Canaries
As mentioned we have only visited here with P&O and opted to stay in port. So, we only visited Las Palmas. If you just walk across the road from the port there is the town. On the right is a brand new shopping precinct to walk through, big statue of a Whales Tail outside. If you take a walk around city, cutting through the back streets you can make your way to Playa Las Canteras, the local beach, there are plenty of places for a small lunch and beer at the beach and then you can take a short walk back to Arcadia and spent the afternoon sunbathing in the Horizon pool.

Madeira
Depending on what you want to see this is an easy DIY destination. If you have never been before may I suggest the Gardens at Monte. Free shuttle bus to prom, walk east to the Cable Car station. Get a ticket to the top (beautiful gardens of Monte). If you sit facing backwards and enjoy the splendour revealed of elevated views of Funchal and your ship in harbour.
What can I say about the Gardens of Monte, well laid out, an abundance of colour and so much to see, something different around every corner.
Throughout our walk around the gardens we could not help but notice the views down into Funchal. There is a small café at the bottom that offer snacks, we had a small tea and cake in the local café along with a taste of Madeiran wine, too sharp and sweet for my liking, more like very sweet sherry with sugar added. On making our way back up the gardens we came to a spot where you could see the tobogganists coming down, well some of the faces were a picture, and I took a few of them.
At the top we had decided not to take the suggested route down, ie by toboggan, but to return by cable car.
We had a quiet lunch and glass of beer in a local bar, followed by a short walk around town and then another leisurely walk back to the ship.
Lisbon
Get up early and get out on deck for the sail under the bridge. The views of the Discovery monument to your left and the Statue of Christ to your right are fantastic.
This is another easy DIY Destination. Take the shuttle to Black Horse square, cross to the other side were you can collected a map of the city, then through the arches and make your way to the ‘Elevator de Santa Justa' a trip to the top is worthwhile with fantastic views over the city, then a short walk down and through the side streets. We came upon a small pastry shop, one coffee, one tea, two cakes, €3.50, excellent value. After this take a walk back to Black Horse square and join an open top bus tour, ‘Tagus Tour', this takes in all the main sights, including the Discovery monument on the river bank before dropping you back at the square, you can get on and off at leisure and just pick up the next tour bus, every 30 minutes, the tickets last 48 hours and cost €14 each, 2008 price, It last about 2 hours and you get a pair of headphones and commentary in a variety of languages. After the tour we walked back into town and enjoyed a small lunch, again in one of the side streets, €6.75.
On returning to the square to pick up the shuttle bus back to Arcadia the queues were massive, we decided on a taxi back to Arcadia, cost €4.50. So a very cheap day out.
you are welcome i am sure you will have a brilliant time

regards

stan simmons
Does anyone know how they work out the table arrangements, is it couples with couples, families with families or pot luck ?

Nothing against children by the way ! Just interested
Pat when we did a cruise with RCI we got asked at the time of booking if we would like to dine just as a family of four, or on a larger table with other guests. :)
I think I would prefer our own table but I imagine thats not possible for a couple...But at least we might meet some nice people like yourselves

Thanks
Pat the one thing that we did notice is how friendly everybody was on the ship especially the Americans. i am sure you will have a fab time. We are hoping to book this cruise for April 2013 :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.