DIY Holidays

Discussion relating to DIY holidays
With so many tour operators and hotel only companies going out of business I would be a little wary of booking with a fairly unknown company.

Personally I now prefer to book direct with the hotel - you may pay more but I feel it is a little safer. Also you very often only pay a deposit and then pay the balance when you get there.

Pippa
Ive just booked accommodation with hotelopia for september and feel confidant as they are owned by tui.
must say I am a bit nervous about using other agents as have read some really heartbreaking stories on here after some companies going bust.
booked flights with jet2 as we have just come back from portugal with them and they were excellent,so fingers crossed until september!

jeanie :tup
i have used findmeaccom in the past, and always check it for my trips.]
last year i had some very good prices from them, and they price matched travel republic for me once.
not used them this year as i've used xcapewithus(now bust -but i got 4 good deals from them), travel republic and alpharooms, but i will look at them for my next 2 trips.
I think Findmeaccomm have been around for some years. Definately all the time I have been using this site as I have seen recommendations for them on here. I know that doesn't mean they are necessarily 'safe' in the current economic environment, when nobody seems to be safe. But they defiantly didn't set up just last week if that is what the OP is worrying about.

If you do a few searches you might get some info on them. I would still pay be creditcard and make sure I had good travel Insurance if I used them though.
In comparison to the same accommodations with Travel Republic who I used to book accommodation for my parents last year - FindMeAccom.com are a lot more expensive:

Room Type Board Type Room Cost Av Price (pp) Holiday Cost - FindMeAccom
1 x Studio Half Board £885.89 £442.94 £885.89

Occupancy Room & Board Type Room Cost Per Person Total Room Cost - Travel Rep

2 Adults Studio Half Board £466.48 £388.73 £777.47

Both at same hotel, same dates for 26 nights in Nov/Dec 2009.

Saying that, I booked them into a hotel on half board for similar dates last year (28 nights) and they paid £600 for the 2 of them. Prices are more expensive this time but if I recall, I didn't book their room until mid July. So I am currently keeping an eye on costs.

We've used Sunshine.co.uk before too and found them reasonable for Cyprus and for Malta as well as Hotelopia.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.