Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
is it that bad
18 Posts
a good question Debs... I dont know the answer... despite living here all these stories do scare me to!
chilly
Go and enjoy,were ever you travel in the world, be careful, we went to Turkey once and vowed never to go again, no matter what people say or no matter what you read, only your experiances will count for anything.
A good reply Lynndan,
Although incidents such as those we have read about recently appear to be on the increase, they are isolated and you will be more likely to have a good holiday in Goa than a bad one. Go to Goa and have a great time, you can then decide whether to return again (or not) based on that experience.

The trouble is the rest of us long term repeaters had the "Bali Hai" experience..........Goa said "come to me, come to me" and we were hypnotised by everything "Goa", maybe over the years we became too trusting (me included) and when we read about something as bad as Lynndan and Gayle experienced, it shocked us all to the core. Goa has become our "Bali Hai" and it is so disappointing that it isn't the perfect, wonderful place we all thought it to be........But then as Lynndan said, nowhere is :)

Enjoy your holiday with your friends, learn from the experiences of some on HT and just be aware - but don't let it spoil your own experience of Goa and the GOOD and HONEST people of Goa that you meet - they aint all bad. :tup Fizz
Agree Fizzy - you have to keep things in perspective. There are some nasty people in the UK, just as there are in Goa but not everybody is a psycho or out to rip you off. Most people I have met and got to know in Goa are lovely but you have to watch out for yourself. They all want to make some money from tourists - most do it fairly, some do it less scrupulously.

Take your time getting to know people and don't be over generous. Be polite and discreet and if it looks too good to be true - it almost certainly is! Sure there are scallys around but don't let them blind you to how much nice stuff is around you.

It would be a great shame if fear of the idiots stopped you engaging with the good guys. :tup
Debs16,
my wife and I regard Goa as a winter version of Turkey.
Anyone reading the Turkey forums will see many of the same concerns that have been raised on here.
If you were to read on the Turkey forum a few bad points (ok very bad points)would that stop you going?
Life is a risk, grab it with both hands and enjoy it, it's not a rehearsal :D

just be sensible where you go, what you do and when you do it ...same as you would in Turkey or anywhere else.
hi debs 16 it has been said many times on here before but just take the same precautions in goa as you would take in the uk dont get lulled into a false sense of security because of the holiday atmosphere dont go out alone in isolated places even on the beach or anywhere at night , dont part with money in advance when buying anything , be careful if out when carrying a bag or wearing jewelery , i know this advice sounds scary but theres always a chance an oportunist could rip you off , snatch your bag or your jewelery etc.. just as there is at home .
we are allways told by locals that when something like this is reported that it was'nt a local it was an outsider who has come to goa to work ? take care anita woody :)
just go! think about havin a good time :rofl :cheers :tongue no neg.thoughts.We can't wait only 30days.We're staying on baga creek,not sure if thats the rd. from MD ur talking about, if i was worried wouldn,t b sooooooo! on this forum it's the only thing getting me thru :clap :clap :
Just returned from the MD for the third succesive year and can honestly say we've never ever encountered anything untoward (other than traffic and cows) on that road and would have been extremely surprised if we had.
We (two couples) regularly walked both ways - to All Spice,Saffron Court,etc on an evening and to the river mouth area during the day without anything other than getting the friendly hellos you always receive there.
Go and enjoy it, I'm sure you will.
Hopefully this isn't a stupid question - If you've never been to Goa before, how do you know the areas to avoid :que
someone pointed out not to go to the beach on your own- that would never have occured to me, had I not read it, as I'd have no qualms in doing so, in other countries I've visited. Also, a previous poster stated that they'd been to the River mouth area during the day - Would it not be safe to go there in the evening?

It's just a bit of a worry knowing where's ok to go and where's not. Any tips please?
You are perfectly safe going to the beach on your own in the day but never go on your own at night. I would never go on any beach anywhere in the world on my own at night. It has nothing to do with it being Goa. It is just common sense. Unfortunately the way of the world.
I've never had any problems on Baga road ether.

There are no danger spots you have to avoid in particular. Go have a good time but just keep your wits about you as you would in the UK if you were visiting a new area. You'll be fine.

Please don't worry and let it put a dampener on your holiday. That not what this forum is about, its for heads up, tips and sharing information. I'm sure you'll have an amazing time!
:cheers
Thanks. I mis-read the post, sorry. I thought the advice was not to go to the beach alone, even in the day. I most definitely wouldn't contemplate going on the beach alone at night. So from what you all say, there are no particularly dodgy areas to avoid in Goa are there?
Not as such no. The main holiday area's are fine. Just don't travel on your own at night in dark unlit secluded spots. but.. you wouldn't do that anywhere in the world :) Bad things have happened to people on this forum (myself included) but many many more people have had good experiences.
I'm going back and I can't wait. My girlfriend is like you; she's read the forums and is a little apprehensive. I just said to her that I've been before, I love it and I'm not even 1% nervous. I'd say the same to you.
Thanks Mardon, I'm coming round to the idea of a Goan holiday now. Only offputting thing for me now is the thought of taking Malaria medication but I'll browse the other thread for info on that. Thanks
There not that bad. I had malaron last year (expensive but only take a few days before, while your there and a week when you get back). Im on C&P this year started taking them on Sunday and i've been fine so far (and the other years i've taken it).

I really wouldn't worry! You should be excited about all the new sights, sounds and smells your going to experiance. One of th main reasons I love Goa is because it really is so different to the UK. In a good way thogh ;)
Hi, im Mardons girlfriend and admit that i am slightly apprehensive of it all but as everyone says you have to be careful everywhere nowadays! i went to san fransico in august, thought it would be like florida where we had an amazing time but it was horrible. we were right by the rough area and i got accosted by aggressive homeless people one too many times and then refused to be on my own day or night and dragged my poor dad everywhere!

my auntie used to go to Goa every year, she adored it there. i trusted her judgement and i trust marks (mardon) so i am not ridiculously excited!! 4DAYS TO GO WHOO HOO XX
thanks every body for all your replies,we will enjoy our time in goa,i have picked up some great tips and info from this site,only 7 days to go can`t wait
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.