Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Istanbul
22 Posts
I'm sure you'll have a great time Wilson. We went end of September last year, after intending to for years! We loved the food - we practically lived on fish - although don't worry there's plenty of choice if you're not fish eaters! The sights are spectacular, and its very easy to travel around and see everything. You've probably booked your accommodation but if you haven't we would recommend staying in Sultanahmet, you're near to everything, and additionally the area is nice to wander around in the evening. We stayed at the Empress Zoe, if anyone is looking for a quirky small hotel, this place is great http://www.emzoe.com
Have a good break!
Alfie

Got our hotel booked, it's got the same owners as the apartments we go to in Marmaris. Really looking forward to the visit and spoke with a friend who was there recently and he gave it a glowing report despite never having been in Turkey before.

Wilson ;)
Istanbul is lovely, there is so much to see and you will find some wonderful food too. Where abouts are you staying?
Well, I've got a big birthday coming up next year, and that's what I want to do - visit Istanbul!
I really want to take our girls there too, they haven't been. I think we will wait until they are a littel bit older though as there is so much to see and they would get tired now.
Hi Wilson,
You will be in the modern, shopping area of Istanbul, you may already know from your friends, but to get to the old part where some of the popular attractions are - Blue Mosque, Topkapi Palace etc., you can get a Funicular(not sure of the spelling) railway, then a tram across town. You buy tokens from the machines for the trams, we used them quite a bit. If you like walking it is also possible to do this journey on foot. We did it during the day there and back on foot,(but the reverse way to you, as we were staying in Sultanahmet) but also went there one evening on the tram. As usual in Turkey it's really easy to get around, and cheap as well.
Have a great time!
It looks very nice Wilson, I like the fact they are apartments rather than just a hotel room.

We stayed in Taksim and we just got the bus across to Sultanahmet for all the old sites, it didn't take long. As Alfie says it is very easy to get around anyway.
Not long until we fly out to Istanbul (this coming Saturday) just wondering if there are any pitfalls I should avoid at Istanbul airport ?

Wilson ;)
Hi Wison.The only point that I would make is that if you are flying with the same airline make sure that your bags are checked straight through.If you are flying direct to Istanbul then just have a good holiday.

Ian
Thanks Ian, flying with Turkish Airlines out of Manchester. Really looking forward to our trip.

Wilson ;)
Well back yesterday from our Istanbul adventure and we all thoroughly enjoyed it. Stayed overnight in the Radisson Blu, Manchester after a decent train journey down. Homemade sandwiches and wine went down a treat on the train, very civilised. Hotel was nice (room only). Up sharp, breakfast in the airport then Turkish Airline flight to Istanbul. Decent flight and well looked after. Slight problem with our pre booked transfer which was sorted in jig time and we were soon on our way to the Hotel arriving there about an hour later due to the rushhour ... don't think I've ever seen so many cars !

Hotel suited our needs, both rooms had a wee kitchen, no English channels on the TV but we weren't there to watch anyway ! Free WiFi which was good. Took our first walk around Taksim Square and had something to eat there. Prices not too bad as we always expect to pay more in a major City.

First full day we did the City Bus Tour. We decided as we only had two full days it would be impossible to visit everything in depth so the Hop on Hop off tour suited our needs perfectly, we seen everything we wanted to see and had lunch near the Blue Mosque. What a City Istanbul is, everyone told me how big it was but I didn't quite realise it was that big ...

Weather was kind to us, cold but sunny for most of the time we were there. Eating out was good too and of course nearly everyone we met spoke English. Our second full day we did the big walkabout sort of idea and walked down past Besiktas Stadium to see the Dalmabache Palace (spelling ?) next to the river. We then walked further up and got a ferry over to the Asia side for no other reason to say we had done it !

Was the wifes birthday of course and had a lovely meal in an Italian Restaurant just off the Square, very nice. We even came across an Irish Bar where I got a Guinness !!! All in all a great break enjoyed by the four of us, no problems on the way home, would definately visit Istanbul again.

Wilson ;)
We are off to Istanbul soon and wondered how easy is it to get around to see different sites are taxis reasonable or buses OK. Is English spoken generally? Any must do's. Thankyou

Merged with existing topic. Dazbo HT Mod
shrimper

Not sure how long your going for and I would say that will determine how in depth you will visit places. I would definately recommend the bus tour and it covers most of the interesting places. If you have time you can get off and do your own thing. I would definately visit Asia which is just a short ferry ride across and of course you are still in Istanbul. If we had more time I would liked to have done a longer ferry ride. Taxi's I don't think are that cheap, dson't think they are anywhere in Turkey. You can get around on the trains too which are inexpensive.

Wilson ;)
Wilson McMillan, Thanks, I have also read your other post .We are going on a 13 day tour of turkey starting and finishing in Istanbul. On the last day we have choice of an overpriced trip around or do it ourselves and I am leaning towards DIY after reading your reply, the bus sounds good.
Hello all,

I am considering going next Feb. Have just posted on the flight forum as I am starting from scratch and usure which airlines to use.

For those who have been are there any particular resources that you found useful? I would like to find out all I can. :cheers
Ruth

I suppose it depends on where you are flying from. We flew with Turkish Airlines and found them very good. We organised our tranfers with http://www.istanbulairport24.com and found them very reliable.

Wilson ;)
I will be flying from Manchester. Prices I have found are around £200 each, does this sound about right? Not sure if it will change if I leave it. The great hedging your bets game!!!

I hear turkish airlines are very good. :cheers
We paid £50 more than that each. :(

Wilson ;)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.