Italy, Rivieras and Islands Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Italy, Rivieras and Islands.
Good advice to try and try again.

When we were in Vegas recently my N/W Gold credit card was declined when trying to buy show tickets. It's the first time that's happened despite using it all over the world for years.

I called them up and was on the mobile for ages before I got to speak to someone, at £1.10/min. I was told there was no problem with the card, that it wasn't block, that it was probably a problem with the merchant and to try it somewhere else, which we did and it worked.

I ran up a bill of over £50 with that call which turned out to be unnecessary. Even though we had other cards and weren't depending on that one, it's just my nature to want it sorted out ASAP, but I hope I've learned not to be so hasty next time.

luci :wave
We had the same problem last week in Venice. We tried 3 ATMs before we found one that would give us cash from our Nationwide Flex account. The bank that worked for us was called (I think) something like Bancomat and it was in a square between St Mark's Square and the Rialto Bridge. It was opposite Burger King -if anyone knows the area maybe they will provide the address.
The bank that worked for us was called (I think) something like Bancomat

Yes, that rings a bell for us too because my husband kept refering to it as the "Bancomatic" !! :D
Just to confirm that we found these branches were OK too. :tup
It is Bancomat. Also worth looking for because they give you the option of selecting your own language.
Bancomat is actually the ATM network of the main Italian banks and is the equivalent of Link in the UK. Is it possible that the machines that are refusing the cards are those run by third parties like you see in some shops/service stations in Britain (the ones that aren't run by a bank and which charge for withdrawals)??? Don't assume that the refusal message is 100% accurate, if it's been translated it may mean that the machine isn't cleared for international transactions.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.