Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
IZMIR AIRPORT
12 Posts
Hi,
Last year we flew into Izmir, it is quite small i think there was a small burgerking and like a snack bar, the duty free ia about 3 booths selling booze/cigs bit of perfume.
not sure of price of food but we have just come back from bodrum airport and the food and drink in the cafe were horrific everyone was complaining i paid £2 for water ( i forgot mine :cry: ) heard some one say they had something with chips and it was £13, also everything was priced up in Euros so they had to convert it all if paying by Lira and it confuses u evevn more.
Also we stayed in Kusadasi last week it was very warm but dull we had the worst thunder storm one night!!
But last year was red hot so its pot luck. it will still be warm :sun
sorry for the essay its all still so fresh on my mind.

Jenz. :shrug
Flew back from Izmir last week. Considering Izmir is the 3rd biggest city in Turkey the airport is not exactly modern.

Check-in was a manual process, with tick sheets and pre-prepared boarding cards. Could'nt see any computers in evidence, and luggage has to be taken by hand from the check-in desk to the conveyor belt behind.

All this takes time and from arriving at the airport to getting checked-in took about an hour.

There is a burger king next to check-in. Yes its a little pricey, but they were giving out vouchers for a free chicken royale with every chicken royale meal purchased, and they tend to supersize everthing so one meal was big enough for the two of us.

Departure is fairly small and duty free are kiosk located in the corners. They are not big, but do have a fairly good range of cigs, drink and perfume. I bought 30ml of Kenzo Homme for about £20.

There is a snack bar in departures but I did not use it.

Yes the airport is a bit basic, but you only spend the last couple of hours of your holiday there, and I have been to worse.
Do what we did and buy in the resort and take it with you.

I think in fact it was only a bottle of water each as it was a night flight and the flight included a meal.

I loved the little glass cage where they keep the smokers!
Does anyone know how far and what the cost is to get from Izmir airport to Altinkum.
As far as I can remember about 2 hours away cost Im not sure but I would guess about £25
:D Hello

We are Flying into Izmir Airport in September

What is it like is it as busy has Dalaman?

Are there duty free's avail?

When we collect luggage are the coach's directly outside like Dalaman e.t.c?

Never been to that Airport before just curious :D

Thanks Marionx and Family
Hi celine/marion, We too are flying here on Sept 14th from Gatwick, it is our first time to this Airport also.

This post was originated by your good self in June 2005!!!!

Thanks Moderator for moving this post.

Les
Was at Izmir airport about three weeks ago and found it very expensive like all the other turkish airports. I think I paid over £4 for a large coke and got a free chocolate bar :roll:

The airport is not as big as Antalya or Dalaman and you have to walk over a bridge to get to the transfer coaches. The duty free shops are small. You should definately buy your food and drink before you get there.

They seemed to be building something outside so maybe it will be getting bigger in the future.
:)
:D Thanks every one for all imformation received :D

Not relishing humping luggage over a bridge at 5.30am :rofl :cry:
But never mind things we have to do :D

To get a bit off sunshine :sun
Just to update those who are unaware, the NEW extension to this Terminal Building is now open and will cater for International Flights whilst the OLD will deal with the Internal ones. Our Flight was only the second to use the new building when we arrived on 14th Sept. A word to the wise when making the homeward trip. The Lounges do not provide enough seating to accommodate a full aircraft and so, if you want to sit and wait, then it is best to get down there as soon as you know your gate. As with all airports, the cafe facilities are expensive and so go prepared !!
The transfer from Izmir to Altinkum is 2 hours and it will cost approx £15-£35 each - each way - depending on your transfer company.

A good one I use is Zaza Turizm - http://www.zazaturizm.com - all details are on their website.

Just be careful who you book as some transfer companies wait around for other flights to come in before they leave - which means lots of drop offs - cheap is not always the way forward.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.