Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Jewellery
39 Posts
I'm no sure that I would recommend posting jewellery. The Turkish postal system isn't 100% reliable, sometimes things go missing.
i would agree with Kedi turkish postal is very unreliable
Give it to a trusted friend to take home. :think
My hubby bought me an eternity ring in Turkey, I had it 4 months, and the diamond fell out. I've asked the jeweller to send me another diamond, but he says he can't as they're not able to post jewellery from Turkey. I was just wondering whether he was having me on!!
Hi Marlou, As I see it, you've got two options, do as Joan said and give it to a trusted friend to take to the resort to get it sorted OR Book a weeks holiday to said resort and get it sorted yourself. As has been said, I wouldn't trust the Turkish postal system, hence we never send postcards from there when we go on holiday as they take so long to get back to the UK !! Good luck anyway, hope you get it sorted one way or the other. By the way, which resort is your jeweller in ??

Les
It probably wouldn't be insured. As I said the Turkish postals sytem isn't too reliable and sometimes parcels get openend and things go astray, so he isn't having you on !

You could possibly have it sent by DHL or something similar.
Gumbet hubby bought it from :)
There is a TNT office near to Gumbet, just by the roundabout on the main road to Bodrum. You could arrange to have it sent from there.
I think this is a bit of a two way street .How does the jeweller know for sure that the diamond has indeed fallen out without seeing the ring .I buy plenty jewellery from Turkey mostly from the same jewellers for years now and i think i would have a job convincing them .

Bluepeterno1
I suppose you could always take a photograph of the ring, & e mail it to the jeweller. You could tell hi9m about the TNT office nearby as well.
I emailed him a photo of it ages ago, so he knows that the diamond is no longer there!
At the risk of anyone jumping on me and thinking that i am doubting their honesty ,which i am not , there is a big big difference between looking at a picture and seeing that the stone is not there and actually examining the ring to see why it fell out .There are lots of reasons why a stone should fall out other than bad workmanship .For example i once bought my wife a lovely solitaire in Turkey ,she was getting dressed one night and the ring caught on her dress as she pulled it over her head and the stone fell out .Any jeweller worth his wages will want to see the ring .For him to say that they are not able to post jewellery is just not true ,he just does not want to post it .I have had jewellery sent from Turkey twice from guys i deal with ,bit of a worry granted ,but i was willing to take the chance .You would be better getting someone to take it for you or better still take it yourself on your next holiday.
He apparently sent the diamond home with his brother to Brighton, who posted it to me, he sent me an email of the post receipt. The problem is they used the wrong delivery service, and now it can't be tracked. I however am saying that this isn't my fault that they used the wrong delivery, so am still entitled to that diamond (in my opinion). He is now saying though that he can't sent me another one as they aren't allowed to post jewellery from Turkey :que . I'd only had the ring approximately 4 months, and only wore it a handful of times, as I wore it on special occassions! The ring is guaranteed for 5 years, and it's only lasted 4 months!!!!!
P.s Dont see why I should have to fork out the cost of 2 flights to Turkey, just to get something that I'm entitled too. I'm sure many people have bought jewellery from abroad and not had trouble, but I for one won't ever buy jewellery from away again!
I really wish you luck Marlou ,but it sounds to me that you are getting the run around .Cant think of any way to advise you .Hope you get sorted out ,not only for your sake but for all the people who buy jewellery in Turkey ,this is not a good advert .Do you not know anyone who is going in the near future who could act on your behalf.
Do you not know anyone who is going in the near future who could act on your behalf.

Sounds like your best bet.
Not every thread on here is about good things or good adverts! People are regularly asking for advice about bad experiences. I thought this was one of the reasons of the forum :que
And so it is nobody especially me is saying different .You asked for advice which i gave you as best as i see it . :que
Ok that's fine, it's just the way you said it's not a good advert was as if I shouldn't be posting about it :que . Cross wires I suppose. Thanks to everyone for the advice. Looks like nothing will be done about it, as like you said he seems to be giving me the run around. There's good money down the drain. Well I suppose you live and learn! :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.