Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Hi there,we have also booked Goveia resort in Candolim for 1st March.Some of the revieiws are a bit worrying..........any one got any first hand experience of staying there,thanks.
Will be staying there as of tomorrow, will do a report when we return, this is our 10th visit to Candolim but our 1st to this hotel.

Maria
Our friends stayed there last year, I think their only complaint was how far from the main road it is. Not talking miles but more set back from other hotels. Don't think they ate in the hotel so cannot comment on the food. The rooms were nice and clean though.

Hope you enjoy your stay x
yes they are mostly private apartments rather than an Hotel, my friend owns one there, they are set quite far back, you wouldnt want to walk to them from the Lawande side as thats much further and you would have quite a walk all through the village, better to go up the road/lane opposite cafe coffee days its about a five/10 min walk that way although its not the brightest of roads at night as its quite a quiet road/lane with just a few houses either side, then you go over a small bridge and as you walk on they are on your right. They are about 5 yrs old and look ok but i havent been inside for a few years..at night i would prefer a taxi to them rather than walking as its quite darka nd lonely on that road
chilly
Hi thanks for that info chilly sounds not to bad,any bad reports seem to come from non brits? Im hoping to hear from two couples who stopped there end of Nov,and from Howard Maria when they get back.might even hire a scooter to get back and forward to the beach never risked that before.Chilly are we not to far from Frank Zappas shack bottom of holiday street,we also used the pine tree shack a lot when we stopped at bernard simaus past the after seven,/eight
Thanks a lot RJL
thanks for your replies everyone.Look forward to hearing ur report Maria,hope you have a great time,cheers.
hi RJL, no you are fairly near Frank Zappas really you can either go down your rd turn left onto main road, paast market and walk down beach road or you can through to the beach opposite your road or from behind rising waves which you are quite near too... and walk along, its easy distance...and a pleasany walk in the day where you are... and you can walk the other way out of your apartments and its the real world!! a bustling village!!! I love walking round there ...we have walked round there for years before Goveai was built... its was even nicer then!! only villagers... but its still a nice walk in the late afternoon or morning..
Chilly
Thanks a lot for that chilly i know where im at now looking forward to the walks around the area hope theres not to many bars cos im easy led ha ha
thanks again
RJL
We are back and I will add this report on this Hotel when a mod adds it to the Goa hotel listing.

However this is the worst hotel we have stayed at in the 10 visits we have made to Goa.

Chilly is right, most of the complex are privately owned apartments, we booked a studio with Thomas Cook.

On arrival at the hotel after midnight, tired after a long journey we were kept waiting about 1 hour whilst they sorted everyone out and we filled in lots of forms. One group of 4 (2 couples) were soon back in reception complaining about their room they had book independantly on the internet. Their website is nothing like what it is. We saw them the next morning at breakfast (if you can call it that) and they said they were moving to somewhere else.

We were shown to our room which was on the ground floor (room 48) overlooking the pool, as expected just a bedroom with bed, 2 chairs and a warbrobe, TV and a kitchen area with a sink, bathroom. Once left alone we were both shocked at how dirty and rundown it was, big chunk of render missing off the wall by the door, doors leading to the balcony looked like the glass had never been cleaned in about 5 years. A white tray with 2 dirty glasses on had long black hairs all over it, I pulled back the bed sheets and even theses were dirty, stains on the walls and big clumps of dust everywhere. As we were very tired we said we would sort out everything in the morning.

Next morning we complained to reception and they sent 2 room boys to clean the room, this should have been sorted before we arrived. Breakfast is not worth bothering with, 2 big urns one with milky tea the other with milky coffee in it, this was discusting and tasted nothing like tea or coffee, various indian type food on offer and they couldn't even toast bread, it was rock hard and cold even when just brought out of the kitchen, eggs are on offer but you have to pay extra. In the end we hired a kettle and bought our own coffee and milk.

This hotel mainly caters for Indian travellers, there were some Russian guests but this is the first season Thomas Cook has used this hotel. To say it has been given 3 stars is a joke, which we told the rep that afternoon. Safety deposit boxes are available at extra cost. (650rps for the 2 weeks)

IMO this hotel is too far out of the resort if you don't like walking too far in the heat, with swollen feet for 2 weerks, we used the taxis alot. 100 rps a trip into the centrer of candolim.

Never ate any meals in the restaurant so can't comment on this but they did have a tandoori oven and a few people seemed to be eating there. They did have entertainment on some nights.

Insist on clean towels everday as once wet they smell foisty, we also had to ask for loo roll every day as they never left any.

Will not stay at this hotel again though the staff are very friendly, they just haven't a clue on how to keep their rooms clean.

We never used the pool as we use to sit and watch the pigeons having a bath in the kiddies section every morning. (Flying vermin)

Hope this has helped and remember this is just my opinion, just keep complaining if you are not happy.

Enjoy

Maria
We are back and I will add this report on this Hotel when a mod adds it to the Goa hotel listing.

Hi Maria

Requests can be made in the dedicated topic for requesting hotel additions in the reviews sections HERE this makes it easy for mods & admin to see what hotels have been requested and add them quickly :tup
I have added the Goveia Holiday Homes for you, note I have added them under the correct spelling of Goveia not the Thomas Cook spelling http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/

Graham
Sorry you had such a bad time Maria.

We had a look at these while they were still under construction when we were looking for somewhere to buy. Believe it or not they were brand new only about 3 years ago, maybe less. One of the things we didn't like was the distance from the complex to the centre of Candolim. If you are using taxis every day the cost soon mounts up.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.