Africa/Middle East Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Africa/Middle East inc.Dubai
I cant comment on the Hotels you mention, never having stayed in them

We always stay at Palma Rima, it has the best pool apparentley in Gambia, friendly staff etc.

Its not 5*, the rooms are quite basic, but they are clean.
I'm not sure that the Senegambia is 5* either, unless they have done some serious upgrading. It was a 3 1/2 star when we went. Still a nice hotel though.
We are staying at the Kairaba next week, the Senegambia Hotel is next door and it is not a 5* although they were doing it up last year when we were staying at the Kariaba.
Thank you for your replies. I'm not sure if it was my mistake about the 5 stars but anyway its obvious thats its not and Ive now been advised to go to the "Ocean Bay Hotel" I know its a little further from town but am told taxis are cheap enough to book fo the whole evening if I want a trip into town, all comments appreciated, John.
The problem is that the star rating system in The Gambia isn't comparable to most European ones - the Senegambia is advertised as 5* by the hotel itself and it is in comparison to the living conditions of the locals but most TOs, knowing what UK visitors expect, are likely to be rating it at least one or even 2 stars lower.

The best thing to do with any hotel in The Gambia is to check out ratings on the big TOs websites and even then take them with a pinch of salt if you don't want to be disappointed. Even the most basic - and I have stayed in a 2* - will almost certainly be scrupulously clean with friendly and helpful staff and reasonable, if simply cooked, food on offer but the frills will be few and far between unless going to one of the very few, smaller clearly up-market hotels.

SM
Thank you, I've pretty much decided on the Ocean Bay and as I'm there to fish I'm not expecting to make too much use of the hotel and less still, the room. I do hope though that there is a decent hot breakfast available as this is important before heading out on a boat for the day.

John Beachcomber.
hi I have used the senegambias facilities fairly often (never stayed there) the pool area is usually fairly quiet,drinks prices ok food a tad expensive ,but as I say I have had a few relaxing days,

Try kuntah kinteh beach good sun beds, other white company if thats what you want, pay no more than 120-150 return from a yellow taxi,get them at the top of senegambia. palma rima beach is quieter 60 dalasi fare
. tourist taxis(green ) are extorionate, cheers maxie :D :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.