Italy, Rivieras and Islands Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Italy, Rivieras and Islands.
Welcome to HT.
From Jesolo, catch the regular bus to Punta Sabbioni and then the ferry across to Venice. You will always remember watching the City rising out of the mist towards you as you cross the Lagoon.
Have a look at the Jesolo web page HERE for useful information on the area, trips, local transport, restaurants etc.
the station to aim for is not Peschiera - go to Desenzano, a few minutes further along.

From Desenzano options are still limited but there are a few buses and even a few boats. Still waiting for actual timetables for September 12th onwards to be published, any idea what time you leave Venice? The local transport website is http://www.trasportibrescia.it (only Italian, map at http://www.trasportibrescia.it/upload/060704_Mappa_NORD.pdf ) and there is an excellent site in English about the lake and boats at http://www.navigazionelaghi.it/eng/g_illago.html

Desenzano station is only about 15km to Manerba so maybe a taxi would be a better idea with luggage.
Hi Steve,
Thank you very much for your prompt reply. It unfortunately caught me on the hop as, following an email from a friend, I have altered my booking in Lake Garda to 'The Garda Village', Via Coorti Romane 47, Colombare di Sirmione, 25019 Sirmione. This was mainly due to to the remote situation of the previous booking and no car.
I could not find Desenzano on the train timetable, it would only give me Peschiara. The Garda Village seems to be half way between the two stations, so I would still be grateful for advice.
Cheers,
Vincent
Thank you rpbristol?,
A very useful site, duly bookmarked.
Cheers,
Vincent
which rail timetable were you using?

try http://www.trenitalia.com and the click the flag at the top of the screen for english.
I tried this one now, Steve and IT IS THERE. Thank you for that, I may have mispelt the name 'Desanzano'? or something. That is great, I can travel on any train during the day of the 15th, probably 16.50. It says from Mestre to Desenzano. Is that the best station?
Great to have some help on this,
Vincent.
it's 16:50 from Santa Lucia, 17:02 from Mestre when I look at it.

Santa Lucia is the big terminal station on the Grand Canal that gets all the shots on TV etc. All it's trains start there (so plenty of time to board) and then call at Mestre.

Mestre is on the mainland out near the big car parks. It is busy and cramped (officially!) but gets a few extra trains as those from Trieste don't go into Santa Lucia.

Which you go for is up to you, if you follow the recommendation already given to approach Venice by sea you'll be heading for Santa Lucia but how you get your luggage there from the ferry I wouldn't know. Presumably you intend to spend a day in Venice anyway so maybe best do that with the ferry. The Jeselo website suggests you should get a bus to Mestre if using the train.

Wherever you board, all trains marked EC, ES or Frecciaanything need prior reservation (can be made close to departure but expect a queue). Trains that mention Regionale don't need reservation but can be quite tatty.

How are you picking places to stay? The Garda Village isn't a hotel, it seems to be mostly self catering bungalows, a sort of up-market campsite. It isn't that much more convenient than Manerba, you'll still need a taxi from Desenzano and it's only a few km closer.

How do you intend to get to Jeselo in the first place and where do you go after Garda?
Hi Steve,
Yet again, thanks for all your knowledge. Great to find out all that about the trains. We will be in Lido for 3 days so I can book the train there if necessary, I may book before I go but that would leave it a bit rigid.
I left the place in Manerba not because it was far from the train, but because it is difficult to get to anywhere in Garda from there without a car (from review comments). I know Garda Village is not a hotel but at this late stage and with limited experience, it was the best I found on Booking.com. I am not too worried about 5 star acc. really, we just want to get away and it is relatively central to buses, etc.. (we are decent walkers anyway.) We need to get the train back from Garda to Venice to fly home but as the flight is at mid day we should be able to do that direct. THAT ONE is certainly worth booking and I will have a look at that this evening.
Incidentally, do you know of specific cruises on L. Garda which visit the gardens in the area? I have seen them somewhere but can't remember where.

Cheers,
Vincent
I've never heard of specific garden cruises on Garda (then again I've never really looked) but I do know they exist on Maggiore - is that what you are thinking about?

Getting back to Marco Polo airport for a 12:00 flight isn't that easy. The latest train you could get is 09:07 to Mestre and shuttle coach from there, and that would only get you to the airport by 11:00 so any delay and it would be getting tight. Earlier than that is the 07:37 to Mestre.

Anyway, I'm off on my own hols now so won't be able to advise anymore.
Grand, thanks for all the tips,
Enjoy yourself on your hols, I will make sure to check that the train will get us there on time on the 22nd.
Cheers,
Vincent/
Just to update this thread: Myself and my wife spent 4 days in Lido de Jeselo, visiting Venice and then took the train to Lake Garda (Desenzano). We also took the return journey to Venice Airport on the 22nd Sept.
The journey was not difficult except in one respect: Bringing heavy luggage on these trains in a major headache (backache) as one has to negotiate 2 flights of steps down and then 2 flights of steps back up to access the train platforms. This is definite turnoff and I would be unlikely to attempt it again with luggage.
We took the fast trains which were expensive (46 euro each way for 2). The slow trains are a lot cheaper but you may need to change trains (not an option with luggage, in my opinion).
All in all, a sense of achievement in negotiating all the logistics of timing trains and buses, but not for the faint hearted or weak of back. Again, thanks to Steve for all his help.
and thank you for getting back and letting us know how you got on, so many don't bother!

as with most of Europe, the express train fare could have been reduced by booking well in advance (can be done via internet and the Italian system lets you collect the tickets from a machine when you get there). But that would limit you to the reserved train which causes problems if your connecting flight is then altered!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.