America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
Which shows have you booked? No point suggesting anything that you may have already booked.

I would suggest booking a restaurant ASAP for NYE if you can get one at this late stage as NYE is massive in Vegas. What is your budget pp and what type of food?

Are you staying at the Platinum again?

luci :wave
hi Luci
I thought New Years would be huge in Vegas but we found there was a lot less choice of shows. We have booked Jersey Boys, La Reve and Viva Elvis. So were looking for something along the lines of the Rat Pack which we saw the last time. Probably either Vegas The Show- or Legends. Its the 3rd Jan we still have to book.
As for eating out- I was assuming we wouldn't have too much trouble getting in to any of the buffets for NYE( but perhaps I am wrong!). If we went for a restaurant, OH has just wracked up one huge amount of OT on his last trip offshore so we could splash out- I just dont want to overpay an obscene amount from what be normal for a place. We would probably steer away from Italian but open about any other type of restaurant.
( Hope you are enjoying Benidorm!)
edit to add- yes we are the Platinum- ideal situation being so close to the centre and 2 minutes from room to exit :D
Have a great time Fiona and get all that overtime money spent ;)
We have seen both those shows (Legends several times) and enjoyed them. Vegas The Show! would be along the same lines as the Rat Pack.

For a splurge I can recommend Alize at the top of the Palms. You would also have great views from there too. I would suggest calling them to see if they are charging more on NYE. Not cheap at €18 for the cheapest glass of wine, but really nice.

Thanks Luci. Legends it is :)
I like the look of Alize but we are now wondering if it would be a bit of a waste going on NYE as it is our first full day and we are usually "done in" at night. It might be worth leaving it till our last evening. The menu looks fabulous
Glynis- don't worry the OT will be spent - especially if we end up at Alize :D
Please report back on Viva Elvis Fiona, very keen to hear your thoughts on this show as I am torn between Love and Viva Elvis. I am more of a Beatles fan than an Elvis fan but would love to go for my Mum who is a huge Elvis fan!
I have checked Alize and they have 2 sittings on NYE, the one at 6.30pm is $150 and the one at 9.30pm is $295 for the same menu. Their normal tasting menu is $105 for 5 courses and they have a 7 course version.

You can check the line up for Legends on http://www.legendsinconcert.com

Ju, between the two I would opt for Love rather than Viva Elvis having seen both. Hubby enjoyed both, but would also choose Love. The sound is really good with Bose speakers in the headrests of the seats and also in front of each seat. Make sure you get seats quite far back so you can see everything that goes on.

The only reason I would choose Viva Elvis is that is finishes next year and there would be the opportunity to see Love on another visit.

:yikes just as well we decided against NYE for Alize. I just got the normal menu prices. The normal price sounds reasonable though.
Viva Elvis- its second time for us- OH is an Elvis fanatic! Still, a bit miffed that he wouldn't go to Donny and Marie for me :rofl
Hey, hubby only went to Donny and Marie because I wanted to see it. He loved it! Believe me, Marie is more than a match for Donny and provides all the interest a normal red blooded male could want!

Just a quick check in before OH starts fretting that we should be heading out again!
The weather is unbelievable here. REally warm and pools open :)
New Year here was something else. We had gone to see Viva Elvis in the evening and even when we came out, the Strip was filling up fast. It doesn't help that you can't get into any of the hotels after about 7pm without showing your room key. We actually had problems getting out n of the ARIA, with blocked exits. We ate at our hotel which had a great NYE menu and a DJ by the pool and went up to our balcony for midnight to see the fireworks. The Platinum has a brilliant view and we could see them right up the Strip.
Jersey Boys was just fantastic. I can't see how any other production could have a better Frankie Valli than Vegas. We also managed to see Big Elvis, lots of fun.
Finally, after deciding I couldn't go to the Canyon because I'm not sure if i would cope with the helicopter, I bit the bullet and booked it by coach. 6am start tomorrow. So its Le Reve tonight at 9.30 and then back to bed!!
I have actually tried the slots this time but closest I got to success was sitting next to someone who won over 3000 dollars on the 25cent slots. Not bad.
Im looking forward to the coach actually- totally done in and needing a sleep!! :)
Happy New Year Fiona, sounds like you're having fun. Let us know how the Canyon trip goes as it's one place I'd love to see. :tup
Happy New Year Fiona!

I had meant to mention that you can't get into hotels without a room key on NYE, but forgot.

Glad you enjoyed the Jerseys Boys, we thought it was a great show too.

Hope you enjoy the GC and have remembered to wrap up as it's a lot colder there than in Vegas. Looking forward to the rest of your trip report.

Where did you end up eating on NYE?

sorry its taken so long to reply. I had a bad first day back and spent most of it in bed or on the settee. Then we had a big family celebration.
We had dinner on NYE in the hotel Luci- it had a great menu, dj and brilliant viewpoint for the fireworks. We could see(and hear) 4 lots going off. To be honest, it was difficult staying awake till midnight- probably NYE is not best done jetlagged :rofl
As I hadn't had a great few months beforehand healthwise, we did take things very easy. I didn't get up till about 10 am and we tended to start making our way back to the hotel just after 3pm. We were totally thrown with the weather- I had a jacket and coat packed and longsleeved tops. Ended up wearing my 2 sleeveless tops during the day and ushing the washerdrier in our apartment. Temps was mainly mid 60s but did hit 70 on the last day. It was due to start coming down the weekend after we got home. I just love the Platinum. We have masses of space. The kitchen had a huge fridge freezer, cooker, microwave, and even a dishwasher. The hotel provides dishwasher soap, washing up ligquid, kitchen roll and soap powder.
The Grand Canyon was actually booked at Aberdeen airport in the lounge. I had decided beforehand that I didnt know how I would get on with a helicopter so had discounted the trip. Spur of the moment- I booked a coach trip for our last full day. Because of that, we didn't go ahead and book a show for that night as we would be back too late and probably too tired.
We set off at 6am and got back to our hotel just after 7pm. On our way out we stopped at the Hoover Dam. We had 4 full hours at the Canyon.
trip details
You have 3 places to visit and there are shuttle buses inbetween. My opinion- only bother to go to the range if you have already spent as much time as you have wanted at the other two places. The range is theme parkish and tbh- we could easily have just got right back on the shuttle bus. My other opinion- the skywalk is a waste of time. I did it as a challenge to myself but I dont think its in the best position.
Aim to spend most time at Guano point. It truely is spectacular. We had our lunch there. We thought that it would be cool or cold but it was downright hot and I had just had to lug my coat around and roll up my sleeves! OH scared the life out of me by standing right at the edge. And although I managed to walk over the glass and look down, I just couldn't get any nearer to the edge than about 2 feet :)
The tour cost $65 dollars each( plus a $10 petrol tax which we had to pay on the day- which is clearly stated). For that you get the guide, transport, lunch, coffee, muffin and orange juice- the shuttle buses between the view points)The skywalk was additional.
We enjoyed all three shows we had booked- Viva Elvis, Jersey Boys and Le Reve. Le Reve is one of the most outstanding shows to see. It is actually impossible to describe but I truely felt that I was watching a dream.
Buffets- we loved both the Mirage and Wynn ones. I believe the Mirage one is the most recommended(?) but I felt they were both of the same high standard. As for the slots, my highest achievement was at the first attempt- put in 5 dollars and cash out 32 dollars! It went downhill from there :rofl
Using airmiles to fly First class is something worth doing. You just cant beat it :) Changing in the (sacklike) pjs while your bed is being made, and then sinking into it and falling asleep....you can't beat that feeling. But I certainly would not pay the amount of money the fare is :yikes
  • Edited by Fiona 2012-01-09 12:14:01
Just noticed the request for info on Viva Elvis. It was our second time as OH is a massive Elvis fan. There were a few changes to the first one we saw and I didn't think they were as good(OH agreed). Still enjoyed it. I love the way they have the Elvis footage in the background. I hadn't considered Love as I am not a Beatles fan at all.
My Wife and I were having a chat about our trip to Vegas in March over the weekend and we got on the subject of CDS. She isn't that bothered but I think if we do decide to hit a show, then it will be Viva Elvis especially as it is finishing as Luci pointed out.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.