Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Learn Konkani
60 Posts
I bought a pocket interpreter but found it almost impossible to learn much, many of the words are not spoken as they are spelt. My friends son in goa tried to teach me to count to ten, but the whole cafe were in stitches at my pronunciation.
Maka naka, like most people is my limit at the moment. :oops:
Goanne

I found a web site back in October that had a huge list of common phrases, which I printed off at the time - I'll have a look later at home. You could try searching under "konkani + phrases"

Tu-jay now kitay - what is your name
mai-jay now kitay - my name is
Maka Naka - I dont want
Maka Zai - I want

It was pretty basic: left; right; my name is; what is yourname; how much - that kind of thing but it was enough to get by

When I was last out there I was told that I'd be better off learning Hindi rather than Konkani but I have to say the smiles when the locals finally realise you are trying to use their language are unforgettable
I bought a pocket book as well, not too bad you can just get by with it. One of the beach sellers Sarah taught me how to pronounce some of the words, dont think she sold much that day. She did say however that most people spoke more Hindi than Konkani. :lol:
I bought the little Konkani phrasebook and also picked up 2 good Hindi-English phonetic phrase books. One is called Easy Hindi for the tourist by Jaico books and the other is by Kavita Kumar. Both were priced at 85 rupees each and were from the shop next to the lovely bakery in Candolim near the Kamat hotel. There's also a little book store next to the football pitch in Calangute and they had quite a few Konkani and Hindi language books. Always good to have a little try with the language, even if you're not very good.

Sharon
:) Hi i'm trying to learn konkani :? , I've been watching a web site http://www.goa-world.net it as a few useful phrase's in konkani plus, Nitin, my adopted son in Palolem has been trying for the past couple of years to teach me a few phrase's :shrug , i must say it is a diffecult language to learn :? .
I would love to be able to join in a converstaion though when my goan friends get going.
jayne :wave
Hi, Thanks for your replies, better get started,
Tina
I think you'll find that "Makanaka" is all you'll need. it really stops the sellers, taxi drivers etc from hassling and it puts a smile on their faces :lol: and the goans all speak good english!

have a good time 8)
Its really difficult to learn the language whilst you are in Goa as they speak so many different ones and you never know which they are deciding to talk in. Really they do speak very good english but I think it is nice to try and learn some of the language as the locals then think you are at least trying to be nice. When my dad comes over to visit he speaks in Gujarati and some of the locals understand.... however the ones that only speak hindi understand the gist of what he is saying because the languages are similar.

Some useful phrases in hindi are (Not spelt correctly just spelt as they sound):

Tara nam keya hey? - What is your name
Mira nam - My name is
Shookria - Thank you
Bo acha hey - Very good
Musty - Naughty
hic - one
doe - two
tin - three
cha - four
panch - five
chad - six
sat - seven
hat - eight
no - nine
dus - ten
does anyone know where i can get books to learn konkani.

ive looked everywhere but cant find anything.

keira xxx
Don't know about books but you can get started by following the link.

http://www.ourkarnataka.com/learn_konkani/learn_konkani_main.htm

Hope this helps.
thanks for that will have a look and try to get a few phrases learned!!!
keira xxx
here is the best link on the net made by Goans to speak Goan Konkani. http://www.goa-world.com . Look for the Konkani Tutor on the site . It has words , speech and wav files for you to try and learn the language. GO more into depth into the site for
Konkani for beginers http://www.goaworld.com/goa/konkani...inners_only.htm
Names of common fruits and veggies :
http://www.goa-world.com/goa/recipe...ndi-konkani.htm
Konkani names for common fish:
http://www.goa-world.com/goa/konkani/fishnames.htm
thanks for that. will have a look at that site when i get time!

bye for now
keira xxx
Are you going to live in Goa - is this why you want to learn Konkani?

If you only want holiday phrases you can learn them from local people who are only too happy to teach you - I know some very good ones learned from my landlord :roll: but in usual tourist Goa they are not needed.

I have bought a couple of good books in Panjim but only use them very frequently - most people I come in contact with speak English. If you want to learn the language you are better off learning it whilst you are in Goa.
hi lesleybell

yes my plans are to live in goa eventually. i have picked up a few phrases from when i was there in april and the time before but want to pick up a few more bits before i move there.
at the minute im living in lanzarote so the move to goa wont be for a couple of years . this should give me plenty of time to learn it before i go!

thanks

keira xxx
Keira,

If you are planning on living in Goa and want to learn the lingo, there is a teacher who teaches both Konkani and Hindi.

His name is Krishnan. He lives just off the Baga road. Take the turning that goes up the side of Shooters Bar, follow it round towards Santiago Hotel; he lives in the little green and pink house next to Indian Cafe.

I know a few people that have been taught by him over the years and say he's really good.

Good luck!!
thanks for that goldenflipflop

will definetly go see him in november when i go over.

thanks
keira xxx
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.