Camping and Caravanning UK and Europe

Discussions regarding camping and caravanning in the UK and the rest of Europe.
colin wrote:
our family are going to this campsite near NICE in July 09. has anyone camped here or used this site before ? any info would be welcome. we are going with Eurocamp and using a tent, complete "tent virgins," but really looking forward to our holiday. we have 3 small children, any advice for them would also be good. what about car hire? is it best to hire from the airport ? hope someone can shed some light on this place for us. thanks.

edit
Opps forgot to say we haven't been here but heard good things about it

Hi there
find car hire here (ask Eurowotsit) be warned the car hire firm WILL take the security deposit off your credit card and refund it on your returning the car they won't accept Debit cards

Right camping " á la " Eurowotsit is not really camping except you Are in a tent
they provide a full size domestic fridge proper beds etc -- Word of warning don't let any ladies wear stilettos in the tent as they WILL puncture the groundsheet

Right stuff you will need to get once there as with all of France this is universal not just Eurowotsit (we need this in our own caravan too when we are touring)
1/ Baygon mosquito spray / repellent coils (best brand)

2/ Ant powder -- any -- put it around the inside edges of the tent and doorway and any holes in the groundsheet French ants are bigger and bite harder

3/ Vinegar -- best stuff for any bites -- no I'm not joking it does work trust me I'm a trained Nurse

if you want to look at what you are liable to get, we used to camp this way in France and Spain before we got our new caravan our last Outing was to Carnac in 2001 -- just the wife and me. We use our own caravan now so we get to where we want not just where they have sites
PHOTOS Carnac Eurosites 2001
Please note I refer to them as Eurowotsit because there are about 3 companies who are now amalgamated into Eurocamp all operated in exactly the same way just like Thompson and others their reps on site have to supplement their wages by selling outing and activities at their welcome meetings which is a shame as they provide an excellent service for the whole family without the tours
We looked at Les Pecheurs for this summer but ended up going to Camping Residence du Campeur at St Aygulf with Canvas Holidays instead. Our site was only 10 minutes from Les Pecheurs and it's a lovely area. The beach at St Aygulf will be your closest and is reputed to be one of the best for children in the south of France. We certainly loved the beach although the road to it is nose to tail especially at weekends.

We booked our car hire through Ryanair as they guaranteed to sort out any changes resulting from changes in the flights (they had already cancelled our flights and moved us to different days so I wasn't taking any more chances). Most airlines will arrange car hire (we found the camping companies to be much more expensive) and Holiday Autos is also worth a look - I think Ryanair came in at roughly the same amount as Holiday Autos. Make sure you book in advance and think about car seats. We always take our own as they will fit almost any car but we met a family who had hired seats with the car and were very unhappy that their just 5 year old was only offered a booster cushion rather than a highback booster. The seats I saw in Hertz were all Britax/Fisher Price and looked in very good condition but we have always taken our own because the hire companies won't guarantee having seats available even if you reserve one. As far as I can make out, French law is similar to ours on the requirements for children being in seats.

Our kids were 7 and 4 when we were there and they loved Marine Land at Antibes (just under an hour away) with all its dolphins, killer whales, etc. The train trip along the coast to Monaco is also worth doing although it does take almost 2 hours but the scenery is spectacular. For a trip into the mountains, we drove up to Bagnol en Foret for lunch one day and found a sleepy little French village that felt as if time had left it behind. Take the car to Ste Maxime and get the boat over to St Tropez (even the locals won't drive it).

To add to what Gray said above, we have never had any experience in 6 years of holidaying with Eurocamp, Keycamp and Canvas Holidays of reps trying to sell us any excursions etc. I was badly bitten by mossies on our first night and we went to the pharmacie at the Geant supermarche at Frejus for advice. They gave me creams etc but also sold us a repellant spray called Cinq a Cinq whic was fantastic. I'm going to try it out on the midges here in Scotland and if it works send my brother for supplies next time he's in France on business.
many thanks for the info. i would like to know more about the train journey and some prices if you could. also, it is as bad as people say about driving in france ? i have driven abroad before but never in france.
We have driven in France many times and on the whole it is much more pleasant than driving in the UK. The roads in the south have been the exception to that as, other than the motorways, most of them simply aren't big enough to cope with the volumes of traffic.
The train to Monaco leaves from St Raphael and we paid 12 Euros each for 3 of us and nothing for the little one. This was the cost of a Carte Isabella which gave unlimited travel for a day on the trains in a specific area and worked out cheaper than buying two and a half return tickets. We were there at the end of June into the first couple of weeks in July and the ticket was only available from 30th June.
Guess what

This site is now on our shortlist for July's Grand tour will have to wait and see

:tup
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.