Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
In comparison to the UK - No, the crime is extremely low in Cyprus.

Limassol is a major city as well as a tourist resort so you have to accept there will be some kinds of crime committed, mostly drink related albeit and involving tourists :(

The worst crime is really drinking & driving or speeding along the tourist road and mostly at the weekend.

But maybe this will set your mind at rest.... Since coming to live here in March 2004, twice I have left a restaurant and forgotten to take my handbag with me. Twice I have returned 20 minutes or so later to find in the 1st restaurant (KFC Limassol seafront), the bag was still on the back of the chair where I left it (this was Saturday night) complete with my passport, alien card, mobile phone & my purse
2) a cafe on shopping street in Limassol (Anextarsias Street) at the weekend - I left my bag on the arm of the seat I was at. I returned again about 15 mins later to find the bag was behind the counter complete with all of the above, again :lol:

If you keep your wits about you just the same as you would in any city, you will have no problems.

One thing we always do in the tourist area though - is lock up our car! In our village, it's rare to lock the car and even rarer to lock the house :)

Enjoy!

Cyprus100
No Place Like Home? What a travesty that was!!!

They concentrated on and exagerated all the bad points about Cyprus.
(Well, I think they did. It was so interesting I nodded off halfway through.)

Although we were the victim of a bag snatch a few years ago, I still feel safer in Cyprus than the UK!

Mark

P.S.
I saw the trailer for this weeks edition:
"I hate the beach. Look, sand everywhere."
IT'S A BEACH. THAT'S WHAT THEY ARE, SAND. DON'T GO THERE. Pillock.
We have been going to Cyprus for the past 20years several times a year mostly to the Limassol area (yes it may well be cheaper to move permanently!!) and we have always felt much safer than in the UK I also visit on my own and have never felt anything but safe OK take the normal sensible precautions and as Mark says always lock your car in the tourist areas but we never lock our car when in the villages visiting our friends and very seldom find doors locked - enjoy Cyprus its a great place and the locals are great
The negatives of that programme rattled me.......In June I visited Cyprus, it was as always, in my mind just wonderful.........maybe the visitor doesn't see the whole picture, but to get the wrong impression, via a t v show is wrong...
Have stayed in Limassol and had no problems......in the world today we act with auction anyway........if there is crime, I would think it is imported, says it all when the bloke in the programme decided to stay put.
Don't think I 'll watch this weeks show.......rather keep my bp down
Jay
But the update of that programme - was they decided to stay in Cyprus after all :)

I think they just used the programme as a freeby trip back to UK :wink:

After all, if they disliked it so much and missed their friends, why did they wait 4yrs to go back to see it/them???
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.