Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Yep no problems last week :)
I'm glad you asked that question!

Last year, before we left UK, we all had two 500ml bottles of flavoured water that I had put in the freezer the night before we left for the airport - by the time we got off the plane in Dalaman they had defrosted and were very welcome freezing cold drinks :D I'm gutted that we wont be able to do this again this year!

Maybe I can going home though, we will be at Dalaman airport at midday this time, it will be boiling - I really hate paying massively inflated prices for soft drinks :evil:

Tracey
Hi just come back from turkey through dalaman airport, we took 2 litre bottles of water through to the plane.
It is a bit of a of a contradiction ,if there was a problem from u.k airports the same thing can happen from turkish airports .All restrictions should be the same in every country.After all it is for our own safety ,and it is no hardship buying water or juice on the plane.

Bluepeterno1
Thanks for the info , much appreciated, we go in 3 weeks time. but I must agree why hasnt all airports banned it if it is for our safety, somebody is now making loads of money out of us at airports now for refreshments.
bluepeterno1

Yes, I agree all airports should have the same rules and that it is for our own safety, but I cant see why we cant take bottles of drink in our handluggage - if I was that way inclined, wouldnt I just put them in my suitcase????? ie we arent allowed to take suntan lotion above 100mls in our handluggage, but we can put as much as we want in our suitcase...

I agree it is no hardship to buy juice on the plane, but I disagree with paying their massively inflated prices - there are 6 of us, that is around £10 for every time we want a drink, so on a 4 hour flight I would probably spend around £20 on soft drink.

Regards
Tracey
The reason why it cannot be in your hand luggage is simple,if it is in your case you cannot get to it ,the plan was to carry two different chemicals on to planes in different containers , and then mix the two together,on some pretext or other. You can guess the rest.

Bluepeterno1
I remember now why I didnt do so well in chemistry :lol:
You can buy drinks after going through security and take them on to the plane but sometimes that is as dear . Think you will just have to save a few more quid for drinks or maybe turn into a camel. Its a difficult situation . :roll: :roll:

Bluepeterno1
Yes but you are allowed a number of liquids not exceding 100ml that you can fit into one plastic bag, how can you not say 2 cant be mixed together,I personally believe now that its one way of us having to spend more money on refreshments at airports, money we need for our holiday ,to line the coffers of others,is it a safety issue or an other money making issue.
Dont think it is a con ,if so they would be guilty of fraud ,cant see big airlines leaving themselves open to prosicution like that .It is up to each individual how they think of it ,me i prefer to think it is a safety measure for our own good .

Bluepeterno1
The airlines don't make any money from refreshments purchased on the ground (not directly anyway). The only reason they have put a restriction on how much liquid one can carry on board, is for safety reasons. Different airlines/airports, and countries, have differing safety measures - which is why some airports allow you through with unlimited amounts of liquid - and others don't. Those measures are put in place to protect themselves from possible danger - and to protect you too.

Besides all that, I'm surprised that anyone would want to lug a 2 litre bottle of warm fizz around with them when they're bogged down with luggage! :shock: - just to save a couple of quid. Are there really people who take big bottles of pop on board a flight? :o Where do they stick their elbows when they pour it out? Or do they swig it from the bottle? :oops:

Don't get me wrong, I know that Dalaman Airport can be expensive, but it's not as though you're buying drinks there every day! A one-off is hardly going to break the bank! :roll:

Strawberry
hi.strawberry.........i guess if you dont mind being ripped off then yes you can buy your drinks after security or on board .
but why should you be ripped off in the first place .
i am really sorry to say that attitudes like yours and others allow airports/airlines to take advantages of us.
regards........john-doe........
Hi JohnDoe,

Anf if everyone took your view - we'd all be taking thermos flasks and cool-boxes on a flight! :roll: Travelling from destination to destination is not an excuse for a picnic.

We're all aware that refreshments are more expensive when travelling. And not just in airports either. But if you begrudge coughing up a few quid for a drink (and in the soaring heat at that!) once, or twice, a year - then I don't see why anyone travels abroad in the first place.

Some people seem to expect to pay Asda prices wherever they are in the world. And life ain't like that. When I go to a bar or restaurant (in the UK or abroad) I expect to pay more for my drink. And some bars charge more than others. I know Dalaman Airport is expensive for food and drink, but ONE DRINK is hardly going to bankrupt you!

Anyway, the revenue that airports get from selling food/drink helps keep flight prices down. And as for taking your own drink on a flight - that's mean. :oops: If people spend hundreds and hundreds of pounds for a holiday, then they should be able to buy a drink on a flight; even if it is over the odds. You're on holiday for goodness sake!

This penny-pinching mentallity reminds me of those who steal bread rolls from the breakfast buffet each morning - just so they can scrimp on their lunch. :x Part and parcel of having a holiday is splashing out a bit; not economising to the detriment of your enjoyment.

Strawberry
strawberry7

People like us scrimp and save all year long to pay the "hundreds and hundreds of pounds" to take our families on holiday and totally resent being ripped off - we all take items in our hand luggage to make the hours spent in between checking in in the UK and getting out of the airport at the other side more comfortable.

Guess what - I also refused to pay the extra £80 or whatever it was for my family to eat the rubbish that they call a meal on the plane.
I am obviously a "mean, penny pincher" who is trying to save our money to spend where it matters - ON HOLIDAY.

Happy holidays :D

Tracey
Oh and by the way:
We take our own refreshments when we go to the cinema too :wink:
I mostly travel on my own and spending a few pounds on some food/drink at the airport does not break my bank, but I have been known to take the odd sandwich from home along with me on journeys. I don't understand Strawberry's statement that travelling from place to place is not an excuse for a picnic, why ever not? a picnic is certainly preferable to airline food and excessive airport prices(which incidently do not keep the price of flights low). Travelling abroad means different things to different people , for a lot of holidaymakers the experience of seeing a new country and it's customs is the most important thing not spending loads of money (which they possibly don't have). The fact that I often don't 'splash out a bit' doesn't mean I enjoy my holiday less.
I think you are all missing the point here it is not about ripping people off .These restrictions were implemented because a plot was uncovered to use liquids as bombs on planes .I am afraid that the price of drinks fades into insigniicance when you weigh the two up . I for one will buy drinks when i need them no matter what the cost.
Bluepeterno1
I agree its not about profit margins but saftey.

The price of new cars is influenced by its saftey technologies, but you wouldnt want to save a few pennys but gaffertaping a cusion to your steering wheel instead of having an expensive airbag fitted.

The same as I think the majority of us would rather pay the extra cost from airports/airlines to know that no one is in possession of biological or flamable agents in the cabin.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.