Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Little niggles
24 Posts
Was all of Noth Goa busy?

Where were you, Cangute?

Did you venture past the Chapora river?

Cheers
Sorry, totally forgot to mention which area I'd stayed. Our hotel was the Ticlo in Calangute but I thought all of the Baga/Calangute/Candolim area was exceptionally busy this time. Unfortunately we didn't venture any further than that this year because the hubby was taken ill on the 2nd week of the holiday, so we couldn't actually do much. Perhaps that's why I noticed the changes so much this time, because I was forced to stay in that area due to our circumstances.
I think you will find that the main increase in numbers at this time of the year is mainly due to tourists from the rest of India, especially the Mumbai region, it was the same at Diwali this year, if you checked the number plates on the big four wheel drive monsters it was usually MH which includes there. I guess we arent the only people that have discovered Goa and guess what, the locals dont like them either, as they treat them worse than the worst of British tourists Alan
I have to agree with this post. I have been going to Goa for almost 15 years now and have just returned from our first (and last ) Christmas and New year there. I knew it would be busy, but didn't realise how busy. The roads were a nightmare from Candolim to Baga and those jeeps with the Maharastra plates were a real pain. I am still a huge Goa fan, but am concerned with all the building work going on and have noticed things changing more this year than ever. To anyone considering Goa for the first time, avoid it at Christmas and New Year.
I am going to play Devils Advocate[sp] Yes the roads were extreamly busy this year, but we did expect it, There are many different back roads you can take, and they are worth exploring, you will still reach your destination, possibly quicker, and without the manic drivers, have to disagree with Katie [sorry], New years on the beach in Goa was amazing, it was the biggest firework display I have ever seen the whole beach was lit up from one end to the other, and was one big party, I wouldn't want to be anywhere else, and I have spent Christmas/New Year in other countries,, It is around 3 days of mayhem. The people from Bombay are only here for a few days and have all gone today, Agree with the way the Goan people are treated, but I was told "They eat and drink a lot, I just smile and take their money, buisnesss is buisness"
hi anybody been to Goa in March? are the beach shacks still going at that time? is there plenty to do in Goa still at that time of year? thanks in advance for any replies Neil :?: 8)
Yep, there's still plenty going on in March no need to worry. You'll have the choice of loads of beach shacks, and all the shops and restaurants will be open. Have a good time, personally I think Goa in March is a lot nicer than the Christmas period :)
I returned from my 2 week break just before Christmas.
I have been visiting Goa for 13 years, each time somewhere in the north more recently Candolim.
However this time I took a risk and chose south, Bogmalo to be precise.
The hotel was 5 star, silent air conditioning, comfy beds, overlooking the sea. There was no traffic noise.
I paid about the same as I had when staying at places like the HBR.
The breakfasts were plentiful with a massive choice. The food in the restaurant was as competively priced as the nearby shacks eg R300 for a 3 course lunch with tea/coffee. The food in general was as good as or in many cases better than anywhere else I have eaten in Goa. The service was excellent.
The beach was crescent shaped similar to Palolem so no sellers walked along it. A number of locals would use the beach before 8am and after 5pm weekdays and at weekends, but otherwise the beach would have no more than a few dozen on it.
After seeing the other side, I won't go back to the north.
You can keep your shoddy service, noisy rooms, hard beds, annoying beach sellers, dangerous traffic, inept service, hit or miss food that I and many others seem to excuse in our holidays as we are visiting the 3rd world. And normally as in the past 13 years, I wouldn't mind but only if the prices are 3rd world as well.
But in recent years they haven't been.
And I believe over the last few years we have been conned.
I still got what I want from my holiday..the sun, the sea, the sunsets, the stars, the food, the suntan, the relaxation but without the minor irrations I would normally have to compensate for.

ps The hotel isn't in the review section and long may it remain from it.
Ditcher,

What was the name of the hotel in Bogmalo?
Ditcher
pity you don't want the hotel in the review section. Go on- you can tell us- we won't tell!!
thats a shame your not going to tell us where you stayed. :cry:
after all isnt it all about sharing on here.
:lol:

choc
You're right, I shouldn't keep it to myself. :twisted:
Although with a bit of detective work its easy to work out and it has been added to the review section very recently albeit without a review.
It's the Bogmalo Beach Hotel and I can't recommend it highly enough although it wouldn't suit those who like the hustle and bustle of Baga and Calangute.
Look at the First Choice info on their website for the full lowdown.
now I wonder if there is someone who could do a review for us? :hmmm
:lol: :lol: :lol: Go on Ditcher!!! :wink: I've still got a couple of reviews to put on too :shock: ...I DID start one the other evening Fiona...honest...but lost the lot!!! :roll: :lol:
You twisted my arm :wink:
Oh, I'll look forward to this one Ditcher. Only problem is, if you tempt us to head south, could you put up with me and Pam being there at the same time as you :lol: :wink:
Here it is!!!
ditcher's hotel review. Gold star!!

Now Pam- what were you saying about reviews????
:lol: :lol: Remember too..if you are travelling about to take your passports with you! In Feb we travelled south to Palolem...stopping off at places on the way...and you DO need to show your passports to book into rooms (Palolem was the only place we didn't have to show them!).
Good advice in the last post, if you go on a trip anywhere from Goa it's essential to take your passport as you will most certainley have to produce it in any hotel you check into. On our last trip to Mumbai someone left theirs behind and it caused them lots of grief entailing having photostats of their passport faxed to the hotel from Goa. Alan
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.