UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
Chinese New Year
56 Posts
Hi

Im off to Liverpool for a one night 2 day short break next week.

I will be visiting the Albert Docks, Beatles museum, shops etc..........

Also thinking of finding the ferry for a trip across the Mersey!

Im a bit of a shopaholic! so any ideas where the best shopping areas are would be great - unusual shops, delis, crafty places and clothes shopping!

I know I wont see everything in 2 days but Il make a start!

Any ideas for places to visit would be great!

Thanks Alison :D
Alison, there are quite a few shops at the albert docks for arty stuff, otherwise you'll find pretty much everything in the city centre, Bold street is pretty good..

ATB,J
Thank you another friend had said Bold street was good so will check it out.

Had not seen the other thread on Liverpool so will read thru that before i go :D

Alison
St Johns precinct! You won't spend a fortune and you will find some bargains in shoes and clothing for a fraction of what you will pay in the designer areas. You will find some touristy shops at Albert Dock..pricey but good for Liverpool souvenirs.TK Maxx of course and there are the usual High Street Shops. Not sure if the ferry is operating at the moment because of the collapse of the gangway at the Pier Head. Just google Liverpool and you will find loads of info.
Alison,

If you like your designer labels, a brand new mall has just opened - Met Quarter. Many designer labels - Armani;Gieves and hawkes;Timberland;Animal; etc. It's just a the bottom of Stanley street in the city centre
Hi, dont know if you've already gone and I'm too late with this, but you must go to the Cavern Club!! Its a great atmosphere for a few drinks. Also Cavern pub opposite has some great memorabilia and photos etc on the walls to look at. Some good pubs in that area (Cavern quarter) and a good designer shopping mall ie Cricket - Wayne Rooneys gf shops there!! Its a bit expensive for my likeing but good to browse!! We go to Liverpool quite a bit as our son is at uni there, and we love it!! The Beatles museum is interesting, we spent a couple of hours in there when it was pouring down!! Were going again in a couple of weeks, cant wait, be good to see my son too!!! lol. Have a great time!! Julie
Thanks :D im off tomorrow.............planning on shopping and museums - Beatles story, Tate modern, Liverpool museum, customs museum. Might get the ferry if weather nice?

Will go for a drink in the cavern club :glynis

I like bargin shopping but will window shop in designer areas!

Alison :D
Forgot to mention the Duck Tour on the bus that also goes through the water but it gets booked up far in advance and of course is best done in good weather. If you go on the Magical Mystery Tour bus it goes past my house so I'll look out for you :lol: Have a great time Ali.
Myself & family are travelling over from Ireland in October for 5 nights and hope to stay within 30min drive of Liverpool city centre as I'll be going to a match on the weekend.

2 adults/2 kids, so I can imagine that a hotel would be expensive for 5 nights, so looking for alternatives.

Maybe a guest house with a family room or self catering short term if thats possible.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.
Hi
Just seen your post.
We live on Wirral, will look into guest houses over the next few days. Apart from driving throught the Mersey tunnel £ !.30 e/w most places on the Wirral will be a 15 - 30 minute drive.
Irene
What dates are you looking to come over in October..?
Given what dates you want to come there is the Expres by Holiday Inn John Lennon Airport just outside the airport for 5 nights £329

wasnt sure what dates so these were based on 10th-15th October
I have found another one in Premier Travel Inn

same dates as above for £265

let me know if you want any more details.
Try the premier travel inn at switch Island, this is approx 30-40 mins from Liverpool. The restaurant is lovely.
My sister normally negotiates a good rate at the Marriott in Speke.
Hotel Ibis, Formula 1 or Campinile all by the Kings Dock and would work out about £50 a night (or F1 about £45 for 2 rooms per night) all are new hotels and a central location. For the football grounds and travelling by public transport Premier travel inn West Derby is the nearest and also a possibility.
Anyone travelling to Liverpool for the Festival over the August Bank holiday weekend will be extremely disappointed as the Festival has been cancelled for safety reasons - reports in local press today
Hi Becky

I live in Liverpool and can't see how they would postpone this event as it brings so much cash into the city, especially as we will be 2008 Capital of Culture!

They will get it sorted out.

Have fun
Liz.
I think that the festival will still take place - but on a much smaller scale. Bands and performers will play at indoor smaller venues - pubs and clubs;etc. Only thing that will be missing is the larger stages - Pier Head and Dale St;etc.

People are so used to the festival they will still journey into town and everyone who has booked a hotel room will still need entertaining.

A right mess :evil:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.