EX-Pats and Owners Abroad

Discussions for EX-Pats and owners abroad or those who are considering this idea.
Hi Jilly1,

I think you might have problems on finding a site that will give you the information you require, most as you say just show holiday or short term lets. One of the things you could do is email some of the sites where you see a let that you like and say that you are interested in hireing that property for a minimum of 1 year, I think you will soon get them coming back to you.

I can only talk about the Costa Brave which is N.E Spain in the provency of Catalunia. The 2 main cities you will know are Girona and Barcelona.
I live about 35 minutes from Girona in a vilage called Sant Antoni de Calonge, and 5 minutes walk form the sea but away form the madding crowds as they say.

Just down the road from us is a very plush up market resort called Palamos, which is open and active all year with style glamour and high class shops. It is very busy during the summer season which runs from about 1st June till the end of September, but after that all is back to normal as they say. I you want the peace and quite then you would not want to live directly in the town, but there are many peaceful and quite areas about 1 mile out of town.

I take it from your comments that you intend to come and live in Spain when you retire, and the property you are looking for is to rent out so you have some income until you can move in yourself. I hope I have got this part right, if not please advise what your intentions are if I am not being to rude.

I hope this little information is of help.

Regards
a1gjv
Hi Jilly

I think you're probably going about this the wrong way round. To look for "long term rental in Spain" isn't really likely to turn up anything, as these things are normally handled by local agents.

So you need to establish where you want to stay first. Then just change your search key words to include the region, and should fare much better.

For example, putting "long term rental in Lanzarote" into Google will produce a selection of local agents with properties to offer. Also establish the local English paper/magazine for the area and check out their website or get a copy sent to you. Again for example, putting "Lanzarote magazine" into Google will produce the online version of the local English magazine, The Gazette. On their site you will find a list of local agents with long term rental properties. You can also get a copy which will have private advertisers in it, sent to you in the UK.

This will apply to whatever region you chose, although there may not be an English paper away from the popular resort areas.

Good luck! 8)
Jilly

See the reply on the Costa del Sol Forum.

Alan
Jilly,
Just back from a viewing visit to Santiago de la Ribera where we met some lovely people who live there. They thought they had a long term rental but suddenly got hit with a notice to leave for the high season June-August as the owner can make more money during this time by taking holiday rentals rather than long term. It was in their contract but they didn't read it properly so be very careful if you decide to go ahead.
Jackie
There is quite a good website http://www.kyero.com which has a section on long term rentals. Maybe it will be of help?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.