America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
Los Angeles HELP
10 Posts
Whether it's "worth it" is really down to you. Some people might say it's not worth the hassle of renting a car or paying for taxis just for a couple of days, other people might say it's still a great opportunity and, if you're going to be here, why not?

The airport is not very close to many attractions, hence my comment about cars and taxis. Personally, I don't think there is more than a day's worth (if that) of stuff to do in LA itself and most of the more interesting locations are outside of the city. However, you could go to Hollywood and see the Walk of Fame, go to the Chinese Theater, and so on. IMHO neither are as glamorous as one might think. LAX is pretty close to Santa Monica, though... perhaps that would be a better option if you like beaches but it's not going to be too warm at the end of the year.

At the end of the day, it's up to you!
hi
Hi,

Thanks for that....I think what i would want to do if i did stop over would be Hollywood and the street where the stars names are in stars (sorry but im not up much on hollywood and LA area!!!!) I dont know if I would like to do just one night as I would maybe feel a bit rushed hence why I thought 2 nights would be better hence that would give me one full clear day and one day when I would need to head for a 11pm flight.

So with what I want to do where do you think would be the best area to stay??

Sorry if I am a little unsure but this has just come into my mind this morning!!!

Gill x
Hmmmmm LA, now that is a tough one, as we stayed in the Anaheim area for Disney etc.

I would be inclined to stay in Downtown and do an all day city tour. When we did this it took in:-

Downtown LA
Hollywood
Long Beach
Santa Monica
Venice Beach

There were ample stops at all the above places so you didn't just drive past. It was a good tour, an ideal opportunity to see the highlights of LA without too much hassle.

I wasn't totally blown away tbh and Hollywood is really quite naff but at least it is another place to tick off on the list of places to see.

Santa Monica was very nice, the pier is lovely.

It's just my opinion but it might be worth doing something like that with your time constraints?

Alternatively, see if you can route via San Francisco...then you could really have some fun!!!!!! :)
mmm
Mmmm ill have to look at the Downtown area now!!! That full day tour sounds great can you remember who you did it through. i have booked all my tours for the trip up to now through vaitors as they seemto be the best priced but they dont seem to do a full day tour of al of the LA area!!!

If I stopped in DownTown how easy, also time wise is it to get to say the main areas of Hollywood for the Walk of Fame etc if I felt I wanted to spend more time there??

Gill x
Done the short stop over in LA many times. Stayed in nice hotel in Marina Del Rey -this is a pretty nice area. Managed to do all the usual tourist stuff that you mention. Would also recommend Santa Monica. Have driven but its an experience!
Hi,

Thanks for that reason I dont want to drive is one I will be on my own so dont fancy being driver and navigator!!!! plus all that in a strange city!!! Main thing now I have to work out where is the best area to stay to do the things I want to do. West Hollywood, Hollywood or Downtown Los Angeles. Dont want to be sitting on buses or metros to get to the sight seeing parts!!

Gill x
Hmmm..Tricky one.
Trouble with LA is the size. Hard to believe until you drive it...
At the airport you have about a 15mile drive North till you start hitting the edge of city...drive south its about 30 miles...drive east and its about 30 miles!!! If you want to do all the good bits of LA with any ease then its car car car

So...If you aren not driving getting around is problematic, expensive or slow. So....You will need to stay in one area...

You certainly dont want to stay downtown...the city centre is mainly business offices etc and not great at night

You should probably stay in the Hollywood area and as others have said do the Hollywood Blvd, Sunset Blvd, Manns Chinese Theatre, Walk of Fame etc...Griffith Park is not too far too. Universal Studios and Paramount studios also right on your doorstep. Venice Beach and Santa Monica beach are all a good 10 miles from Hollywood tho
and Beverley Hills just a few miles
so....There is more than enough for two days...and if you like movies its worth it...you will recognise lots of places
Yes looks like it will be Hollywood area that i will stay in saw there is West Hollywood and Hollywood!!! A car is deff a NO NO. All that I would wnat to do seems to be round the Hollywood area any way. If I felt i want to see more then it would be a seperate trip I would do another time!! This on is only a stop over but a 2 night stop over rather than flying straight onto Brisbane.

Will have a check at hotels I am suprised how many come up with FULL when the dates are the 5th and 6th Nov maybe something is happening then and that is why hotels are fully booked already!!! Any ideas why????

Seen the Holiday Inn Hollywood Walk of Fame hotel they have rooms but will still look and see what else I can find.

Gill x
Hi,

Just to let all you know as you have been so helpful that I have decided to book the Hilton Beverly Hills. I can then book a day tours of Hollywood for my FULL day that I have and the day I fly where I will have about 3 quarters of a day i will do Rodeo Drive and general relax even maybe have a coffee on Rodeo Drive!!!!

Just now need to work out best way from LAX to Hilton in Beverly Hills!!!

Gill x
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.