Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Thanks for that, Shell - we are going to Luxor next march so I think I'll have to print off your post and the odd email to Ahmed sounds like time well spent!!

Dave
No problem - I'm glad if I have been of help :)

However, I just realised I made on glaring error in my posting about Sindbads Hot Air Balloons :whoops

We paid LE325pp not LE130pp as I wrote in the description :duh

Sorry about that......

Shell
Limassol, Cyprus
"We paid LE325pp not LE130pp as I wrote in the description :duh"

Thats less than £40pp.. :tup

A few years ago my cousin paid the going rate of ....£99 for that trip, but there was only one operator at the time so he could name his price.

Thanks for the tour report Shell, we are off back to Luxor over Christmas, hope they haven,t bulldozed too much.

Gaz

Ps.
I hear that John ( owner/manager from John and Johns) has left in a cloud of mystery..Perhaps this could be why you had such a negative experience there.
A few years ago my cousin paid the going rate of ....£99 for that trip, but there was only one operator at the time so he could name his price.

I understand that, following an accident last april when 16 tourists were injured, all balloon flights were suspended. The government ordered retraining of all staff (including flight captains) and removal of the monopoly. Hence more operators and more competitive prices.
I understand that, following an accident last april when 16 tourists were injured, all balloon flights were suspended. The government ordered retraining of all staff (including flight captains) and removal of the monopoly. Hence more operators and more competitive prices.

That's perfectly true....

On the day we went, it looked like each company were sending up 2 balloons but they were staggered so not all the balloons went up together. I think all the balloons go up over a period of a couple of hours as there were a few already in the sky as we were crossing the river, then it took about another 30 minutes or so before we were ready to go with a couple of others waiting for clearance.

In fact, we were waiting on our boat until the ground crew told us we should cross the Nile so we were at the launch site at the correct time. The Captain of each balloon and his crew are in contact with the authorities until they are given clearance for take off.

We did contact a few companies before we left Cyprus with regards to prices and found they were much more expensive. We booked and paid for ours with Ahmed on Saturday before lunch and he contacted us on Sunday evening with the pickup time for Monday morning.

Most companies were quoting LE450 and upwards in advance. But I think if you can book nearer the time and can be a bit flexible, you will get the better price. That reminds me, must dig out my t-shirt!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.