Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
luxor
17 Posts
In November 2007 I stayed at a Luxor hotel which is on a small island in the Nile joined by a short causeway.
Really excellent – it has changed names since then and is now called Maritim Jolie Ville Kings Island.
Accommodation is in small bungalows in extensive grounds. Two pools, one an infinity pool, the other really quiet for adults only.
There's one of the ladies at the hotel who bakes fresh bread in an outside oven on the banks of the Nile.
And the sunsets over the Nile, (with classical music they sometimes play) are stunning.
It's a bit out of the town, but the hotel provides a boat to take you down the Nile when you want to visit.

I went because of the many good reviews, and it's all true!
thank you love the sound of the infinity pool x will have a good look at that too x
Hi Adele , we've stayed in Luxor 3 times , twice at the steigenberger and last time at the Hilton , the steigenberger was really nice and was on the bank of the Nile with a lovely pool area and very good rooms we did b and b but you can book a hb package and they have 3 other al a carte restaurants to choose from , there are also choices of restaurants outside which cover different budgets . The hotel is ideally situated as its not far to visit the temples at Luxor and Karnak as well being near to the valley of the kings , by going in November it will be very comfortable weather wise to spend time seeing these sites . The Hilton hotel is probably the best in Luxor and rated very highly although it is expensive in comparison to the rest but the service levels are extremely high and the food there is really good , I think it's fair to say that food in general is reasonably priced but alcohol is quite expensive especially wine and spirits and I think that it's best to go b and b and give yourself the scope to eat in different places for evening meals but if a hotel has a cheap upgrade to hb then consider that .

I'm sure you will really enjoy Luxor it is a fascinating place where you can see what Egypt is really famous for and yet still have a restful holiday with good hospitality , any other info you might want just ask .
Hotel prices for meals range from £10 to 20 approx , lunch time snacks around £4 to 10 , a beer is about 3.50 and bottle of house wine from £15 , but outside hotel restaurants are cheaper
hi andy thanks for that, going to check all options out as hubby wants an all in just for a change, so i said fine but i pick where... do they cater much for veggies x
adele
I don't think that there are many all inclusive in Luxor , whereas in sharm or other coastal resorts they are quite common , I've stayed once in an all inclusive in Egypt and didn't think too much to it , they do cater for veggies, you should easily get as much as anywhere else ,
Hi Adele :wave:

I can recommend the Sofitel Karnak which is located just on the outskirts of Luxor close(ish) to the Karnak Temple. It is set on the Nile with nice gardens and pool.
The hotel runs a free shuttle bus in to Luxor dropping off at the Karnak Temple, Luxor Temple and the Winter Palace, they also run a free water taxi boat service from the hotel down the Nile to the Winter Palace and back which is nice.

Food wise they have a good selection available for veggies.

Some photo's of the hotel http://travel.webshots.com/slideshow/575199066RXwNZU

Website http://www.sofitel.com/gb/hotel-5552-sofitel-karnak-luxor/index.shtml
For a great location I would suggest the Sofitel Winter Palace (Pavilion) which is another hotel in the back of the hotel grounds of the Old Winter Palace Hotel.

We last stayed in September 2010 and 7 nights on BB basis booked through Sunshine.co.uk cost us less than 100 GBP per person.

It has 2 pools (one is a length swimming pool) and the other is a free form with shallow walk in areas and a swim up bar. The grounds are extensive and it's a perfect haven from the bustle on the outside yet just 2 minutes walk to the Nile after leaving the hotel. It shares all the grounds of the Old Winter Palace but the entrance to the left of the main hotel.

Rooms are very spacious and have big balconies mostly overlooking the pool or the gardens. 10 minutes walk will take you to the Luxor Temple and the local National Ferry to the West Bank. LE1 (Egyptian pound) each way per person.

A friend of ours always frequented the Jolie Ville but she says it's now totally lost the intimate feel that she used to love plus it's a long way out of the town so it's a bus or boat ride every time. There are many hotels within walking distance of the town centre but depends on what you want out of your holiday and of course, the budget.

For eating out - you can make it as cheap or expensive as you want. English restaurants such as Puddleducks will set you back around 12LE for a glass of Stella Local beer whereas a bottle (63cl) will cost you anywhere between LE15 and LE18 depending where you are. Sofra restaurant (not far from the railway station) is traditional and cheap (no alcohol) and was our cheapest restaurant meal. The West Bank also has some fabulous restaurants with fantastic views of the Nile from rooftop terraces. Different perspective for a night time view of Luxor while you dine.

There's always Macdonalds or Snack Time where you can grab a bite and watch life in the square at the Luxor Temple by night.

We're off back again at the end of the summer and can't wait. This time it's a 7 night Nile cruise at a steal of a price from Sunshine.co.uk (less than 220.00 GBP) for 2 people on full board basis.

I put a slideshow together from our photos in 2010: http://bit.ly/L4lvGb
sorry guys i forgot to ask, are there local taxis that you can hire to take you to the ruins etc rather that paying for excursions via the hotel or travel agent and how much roughly are they (lol silly me always forget something ) :rofl
A friend of mine owns some apartments on the West Bank - send me a private message if you're interested, and I'll give you her website & contact details
Hi

Yes, there are taxis everywhere.
Your hotel will generally have a list of recommended prices to pay to a fixed location so check it out with them first.
When you discuss the price (of anything) speak in Egyptian Pounds (LE) and make it clear that is the currency you will be paying in.
Never cross currencies when discussing prices as it will come back to bite you in the bum!

We used a guy last time in Luxor and have recommended him to friends who have also used him. His company is Petra Travel and his name is Ahmed Balal. He worked for Jolleys Travel for many years before opening his own company.

A minibus for 6 of us from the airport to the Winter Palace is LE 10 per person (so LE 60) that was in 2010.

We used him for a number of excursions which we put together the itinerary ourselves. We hired his bus by the half day each time with a driver who did exactly what we wanted to, was always bang on time and the bus was brand new.

We're going back again later this year and Ahmed has already been contacted - the price is the same as it was in 2010.

If you want to do the West Bank under your own steam - take the local ferry across (near the Luxor Temple) and there will be taxis waiting at the other side as you disembark. (You need to buy your excursion tickets at the ticket office before you get to the ancient sites - so tell your driver you need the ticket office)!
hi thank you cyprus that is a big help x
No problem!

Eagerly awaiting our own trip back soon and counting the weeks. We can't wait to smell the unique aroma that is "Egypt" as soon as you get off the plane.

Enjoy! :cheers

If you need any more info, I'm happy to help.
thank you i may just have to take that offer, xx
You're very welcome!

I've marked the topic to notify me of any replies so I don't miss them. ;)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.