Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
We went 2 Madeira in 2008 and hired a car for 3 days to see around. It is a beautiful island and I'm sure you would enjoy any of the tours equally well. I'm no expert but I wouldn't like to have to choose between east and west - In favour of the west, I found the views at Encumeada and Cabo Girao particularly memorable. However, the east tour takes you to Pico do Arieiro, which is also stunning. Do not however under estimate how much there is to see and do in Funchal. A walk to and from the shops is just not an option. Get a decent map or guide book from tourist info and you will have no problem filling a day. I would particularly recommend the cable car to Monte and the tropical gardens. Personally, we didn't bother with the taboggan run, but its worth seeing and you get a good view from the gardens.

Whatever you do, I'm sure you will enjoy it.
Carol,
Thank you for your quick reply. That's interesting to know that Funchal has a lot to offer. It's just that our visit will only be for 10 hours so we didn't want to waste the opportunity to see some of the island. I have read reviews elsewhere and they too suggest that the west is best. The tropical gardens sound a delight. I had considered afternoon tea at the hotel everyone raves about. Can't remember the name as I write, but at £25.00 each for a pot of tea and a cream scone, my wife thinks it's a bit of a rip-off when you consider what the Oceana has to offer. ;)

Thanks once again.
If I had to choose between the two, I would go on the west island tour. Saying that, I would agree with Carol that there's plenty to do in and around Funchal. A trip on the cable car to Monte, the botanical gardens, the sledge trip back down to the city centre and a visit to the cathedral are all worth a visit. The hotel you're referring to for afternoon tea is Reid's.
Roswell,
Thanks for replying also. I asked for a tour, best of the west, but Strawberry tours who seem to get good reviews tell me they are not running the east or west tour when we arrive - next week. Maybe they already have commitments to P&O that day. They have offered us the Nun's Valley tour (half a day) so we are venturing forth on that one. We shall certainly take as much in of Funchal in the afternoon as is possible. After that at 6pm we cruise to the Caribbean and that takes another 5 or 6 days to reach Antigua. We have done the crossing from Tenerife on 2 previous occasions. It's a good way to chill out. But we have never ventured to Madeira before so we are looking forward to it. It will probably give us the calling to return for longer. Well, you can't take it with you. ;) Reid's sounds nice but a bit pricey - still you only live once.
Cheers all.
Have you read the online newspaper "The Madeira Times", there could possibly be some info in there. this is the link.
http://www.themadeiratimes.com/
Thanks Jayjan,
Up at 5.30 in the morrow, so will just have a quick peek before I hit my pillow. But not literally.
Cheers. & thanks all for you advise - it's much appreciated.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.