Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
You will I am sure have a fantastic time. The Egyptians are lovely people and cannot do enough for you. We are going again at Xmas - 8th time in 5 years.

Where are you going?

Nicki
hi thanks for the reply xx we are going to nabq bay, park inn hotel on the 1st january. do you think the weather will be good? my daughter loves the sea so dont want her to freeze!!
Hi kayceelou :wave:

Firstly might I ask where you are going ? secondly I will say that Egypt is not bad and you shouldn't be worried.

I had heard these stories and tales before going for the first time and we are going back for our 3rd visit in January.
OK it is not Spain or mainland Europe but that is part of the charm.
Yes you will get a bit of hassle from local vendors but a firm no thanks ' La Shukran' usually sorts that out.

Occasionally there are some Egyptian men who are a bit to forward with women but don't be afraid to give them a loud ear bashing, however these types are the very rare exception rather than the norm.

A lot of the vendors are actually having a laugh and if you can manage to join in it will be so much more rewarding, don't be afraid to haggle hard if you are buying anything.

Out and about you will be perfectly safe (just take the usual precautions as you would back home) and you will have no worries.

Take an antiseptic hand cleaner that you can use after handling money and this will help stop you picking up some of the nasty bugs of the money, you can usualy get them in places like Poundland or Semi-Chem.

Honestly I would just look forward to your well earned holiday and go with an open mind and I am sure you will ENJOY it as the Egyptians are very nice. :tup
Graham
Hi again kayceelou

We were in Sharm this January and the water was nice for swimming and snorkeling in, plenty of lovely fish and coral to see.
hi kayceelou

when i first went to sharm in 2004, i've got to admit it wasn't my idea of a holiday destination..we went with friends to celebrate the new year.

i knew i'd hate it....i dont like swimming in the sea...cant stand fish...dont do hot weather...hate having to haggle...cant stand "men only" places!!

BUT once i got there i realised how wrong i'd been it was BRILLIANT...the weather was great...not scorching hot....just right..the sea...OMG...lovely and warm and so easy to float in and the fish...i nearly cried when i first came out of the sea...it was just amazing. one of the most beautiful things i've seen.

as for the haggling i actually found it fun....the men were fun too...i found if i had a laugh with them they had just as much a laugh with me.

i enjoyed the holiday so much that we've been back twice now. we gave ourselves a break from sharm for the last two years but boy do we miss it so i'm looking at goimg back next year for my 25th wedding anniversary....i want it to be a special holiday and sharm feels the right place to be.

i think you'll be surprised at just how much you will enjoy your holiday..x
Hi here is some info on Nabq from your hotel.
You have 2 new shopping malls called Al Khan and La Strada which are really nice and open air and you dont get as much hassle here as Naama. You will find Mc D's, KFC, Burgerking, Starbucks, Pottery Cafe, Alhambra Shisha cafe, Prada Cafe, Sea Horse Fish restaurant, Onfish, Nathans fast food restaurant, Steak and Cheese is coming as it TGI Fridays and Hard Rock. There is a very very good Chinese next to KFC. Upstairs above Mc D's there is another restaurant and Malibu bar but this is quite expensive. The other bar is Great Brit Bar formerly the Zone which does Sunday Roasts and they were talking about doing curry nights. Live sprots are shown here.
Metro supermarket is large and well stocked and just over the road with numerous more little shops. Down the road at the front of LTI you will find Tony who runs Churchills cafe where you can get a full English, ham egg and chips etc.
Further along on the other side of the road you will come to Arabsat which is a parade of shops etc. Here is a lovely Egyptian restaurant outside. The food is lovely. Then you come to Jasmine centre again has lots of shops and upstairs you will find Pete and Holly who run St Georges bar where there are free pool tables, live sports and snacks such as bacon rolls. He can organise any trips for you and his are some of the cheapest I have found.
Salsa restaurant is here but avoid. Down below is an Egyptian restaurannt used mainly by the locals but again good and very cheap -feast for £2.50 with water. Keep walking along past the roundabout heading towards airport and just passed Sharm Bride and Park Inn ( this is where the waterpark is ) you will find another new mall. There is a small supermarket upstairs with lots of other shops and a really nice Italian restaurant.
Jasmine has entertainment each night outside from 11pm to 2am and the Sahara Shisha is great for chilling watching the belly dancers etc - say hi to Michael.
You can flag down a minibus to go into Naama for 2.5le each way.
La Strada also puts on entertainment outside each eves but it is all pretty low key. The Brit Bar gets a bit livelier with loud music etc.
There is paintballing at La Strada.
A defo trip would be the quads into the Mangroves, stop for a swim and snorkle, lunch and then head back out, round the back passed the new golf course being built and into the desert. Superb. The chap I used was full insured and had his certificate on display.
Another great trip is the boat trip to Tiran Island.

January will be cold at night so make sure you take some fleeces, jeans etc. Temps should be about 70 in the day.
hi thank you all for getting back to me so quick!! i feel so much better about in now and am actually looking forward to going!! xxx
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.