Greece - Crete Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Crete.
malia mare hotel
10 Posts
I can't comment on the hotel itself but we walked past it just about every night in June last year. It is in a cracking location but make sure you have your ear plugs, you will not be far from the bars and clubs at all. I take it you have seen the photographs on the Thomson website, if not follow this link.

http://www.thomson.co.uk/destinations/europe/greece/crete/malia/hotels/hotel-malia-mare.html

I first went to Malia in 1997 and went back in 2007, in ten years the resort has grown considerably. I spoke to a lot of the 18-30 brigade last year who said it would be their final year in Malia and there were looking elsewhere for 2008. If that is true, it will still be lively but probably not quite as manic as peak season has been in the past.

I am 36 and my Wife is 30 and we had a great time. You are only as young as you feel.

Have a hot (literally) time!!!
By the way Linzi I've just read your other post on the Other Greek Forum about Stalis or Kalamaki.

Kalamaki is a lovely resort on Zakynthos and we had a great time there in 2006. It is a fair bit quieter than you will have in Malia but the beach isn't upto much. It is lovely and sandy but there are no facilities due to the turtles that nest there. So if the beach was a priority, Malia wins hands down (and would against Laganas also). Don't be put off Kalamaki in the future though, it has a lot of bars and restaurants and is well worth a visit.

People recommend Stalis for couples instead of Malia. Sure Stalis is quieter but in Malia you can go with the flow, have a big night out and then have a couple of quieter ones. There are loads of bars and you tend to find the big groups tend to follow the crowds, so there are some bars that look dead, but are actually really nice. Mango about half way down the strip is great for people watching (priceless in Malia) but has cheaper drinks and a lovely seating area (pool table also). Galaxy at the top of the strip on the main road has a lot of traffic noise but is a great starting point on a night out. So you do have plenty of options.

If you like cocktails you will be in your element in Malia as they do have a lot of drinks deals. If your boyfriend is more of a beer drinker (as I am) the deals aren't quite so obvious but you will find 2 for 1 in some places. Ignore the bars which try and lure you in with talk of 4 or even 5 for 1 on cocktails, yes you might get 4 or 5 cocktails but they are seriously watered and juiced down and have pretty much no alcoholic content in them.

For restaurants, try and stick to the greek restaurants. This may seem obvious but there are a number of British style pubs/restaurants which try and entice you with home comforts. I don't know about others but I always find this a bit of a cop out as you can have a roast any day in the UK, but they are very popular and the big groups often head there. The Red Lion is the best of the bunch but we preferred a lunch here rather than an evening meal. For Mexican try Gringo's, it doesn't get much better that that to be honest and I know I am contradicting myself now, but it is seriously good. For trad Greek try Sirtaki, Napolitana and La Grande Trattoria (which is more Italian).

Have a great time. If you need any further info, let me know.
hi, wow thanks for all of that information, im even more excited now! yeah i think we will prehaps try kalamaki for another holiday another year, it seemed like kalamaki was a bit more expensive than crete for when we wanted to go (any time in August-begining sept) but its my last year in uni this year i fin in december so i will then be free to go any time of the year, well as long as it fits in with my job of course. then that will be another desicion to make what month to go! haha.
we like to spend time at the beach now and then but spend most of the time round the pool, we went to protaras cyprus last year and nissi beach was fantastic, great atmosphere too. its nice sometimes to go down the beach front for lunch or to have a change from the pool.

i was a little worried malia might be too much 18-30 but i have read some reviews and it seems lots of couples go too (well prob not as much as the 18-30, but at least we wont be the only couple there (i hope) lol) and the reviews for our hotel are good and people have said the rooms are quiet round the back and it is advertised as a couples hotel, and from what you have said it seems there are some more relaxing bars to go to too aswell as the more livley bars and of course stalis is just down the road. i would have prefered to have stayed in stalis but the accomadation was really expensive and were on a budet this year as it was a last minuet decsion to go, but i think well be fine in malia.

i love cocktails so thats good to know! my boyfriend drinks beer, but his favorite is bulmers cider. we love a nice meal out and like to try different restaurants each night, if we find a favorite we may go back a few times though! sounds like well be spoilt for choice.

just counting down the days now!
Stalis is an easy taxi ride from your hotel (don't even try and walk it, although it is doable in the daytime) and would be an option for a couple of nights as well. Certainly quieter than Malia, but like I said we found just going to a less busy bar on the Malia strip the best way of enjoying ourselves.

We only did a cheapo last year because we'd had a big 9 months trip in 2006 and it was just nice to return to Malia 10 years after we first visited. I was slightly concerned we would stick out like a sore thumb but it wasn't like that at all. There were plenty of older foreign tourists, as well as quite a few Brit couples who were doing exactly the same as us. We went to Faliraki at the height of the Club Reps fame (2001) and Malia was quite calm compared to those days last year. Sure there are big groups, there is loud music, annoying PR people trying to get you into their bar, arguments (fights do happen) but it's no different anywhere in the world and if you are used to that kind of holiday you will have a great time.

The beach is fantastic in Malia, litter aside in some parts. I just noticed you prefer the pool so that won't be such a big issue. For us there were too many "funny" guys hanging around the pool showing off to the girls in our hotel last year and the beach seemed a more relaxing experience. Bar service on the beach is top notch also.

Like I said there was a lot of talk that 07 was the last big Malia year for the 18-30 groups so you might be going over at just the right time. We went in June last year which is obviously not quite peak period and it was lively but not in your face. August will be busier and hotter, although there was a heatwave in June 07 with temps reaching 42c!!!

A great website on Malia is below, click on that...I found so much information from that last year plus it has good bars, clubs and restaurant listings as well as an excellent forum (mainly youngsters to be honest).

http://www.malia.co.uk/

Have a great time. I was concerned before travelling but actually ended up having a cracking 11 days and nights.
yeah i think we will just go with the flow and do what ever we feel like on the night, i have been on that site its great, lots of information there and the weather forcast thanks!
If anyone has been to this hotel it would be great if you could give it its first review here for us :)
does anyone know if this hotel has doubble beds? and where would be best to ask for a room for quietness and good/ok views- at the side or at the back overlooking the pool? are the rooms overlooking the pool quiet? i have requested pool view thinking its at the back so should be quiet ish at night, i can always change it though and we also get the nice pool view rarther than being at the side which doesnt look as though offers good views think its just next door to another building which would probably be a view of a wall! (i dont know though) and we like to sit on the balcony to have lunch sometimes and have a few drinks when we get in from a night out. Or at the front (sounds like there are a few rooms at the front but mainly seem to be at the back from what i have read) in which would be looking onto the strip which would no doubt be noisey. if anyone has any information that would be really great thanks
Most hotels in Greece tend to have twin beds, i.e. seperate but we always just move the two beds together and create a double bed. I very much think your hotel will be the same as that.

There are certainly rooms at the front. As I mentioned before we walked past the hotel most nights and could see the rooms overlooking the road. I wouldn't worry too much about noise if you are at the front, the Malia Mare is further enough away from the main strip so you won't be bothered. You will get people passing on their way home but most of the accommodation is the other way and central to the strip.

I've always found the Greeks very accommodating, so if you have asked for a pool view room you should get it.

Have a great holiday.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.