Spain - Balearics - Menorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Menorca.
not long got back from mar de menorca,i personally thought it was the best holiday i have ever been on,loads for the kids although the entertainers are always trieing to get adults 2 join in...one even pushed me int he pool.the weather was good and the drink flowed well,the bar staff are very generous with their measures :wink:.i would recomend this place to anyone thinking about booking. take care. x
I have just booked a late deal to mar de menorca hotel, I know it is an out of the place holiday and it is just what we need. I've read some reviews before booking and was happy to go. Just one thing i'm a bit worried about is that it is a 1 bedroomed apartment which sleeps 4 - me,husband and two kids. i have read some reports that the kids beds which should be sofa beds are in fact just sofa's or pieces of foam as one reviewer said. has anyone been this year that can tell me any info?

Please help as we are going in 9 days

Forewarned is forearmed!

Thanks
We went the 2nd week in May this year and liked the place so much that as soon as we got back we booked again for next year for 11 days.
I must say that i was well pleased with the accomadation as we expected a room so it was nice to get an apartment with cooker & fridge.
The complex is out on its own but there seems to be something going on all day, also they laid a bus on each day to a different beach free of charge and also gave you a free packed lunch.
I am a fussy eater but i found the food 1st class and always found something to eat.
The mix wast about 50% British and the rest German and Dutch but everyone seemed to get on.
What i would say is to hire a car for a few days as we did, the Island is so small that you can drive from one end to the other in 1 hour...it would be a shame to go here and not see anything of this fantastic Island.
We're due to travel to Menorca next Monday and stay at the above hotel. We've read this morning that the beach there is closed and people have been suffering food poisoning at the hotel. This is really worrying especially as we're travelling with our children, the youngest is 4, and my parents.
Does anyone know if this is true?
Thanks
I must admit i have never stayed at this hotel, but i did look into booking a holiday here and decided against it after reading so rather dyer reviews. Use tripadvisor and just put in the hotel name for alot of reviews by people that have stayed there.

EDIT: Our own reviews can be found on this page:
http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/reviews/spain/balearic-islands/menorca/es-canutells/grupotel-mar-de-menorca-hotel/
David HT Mod
I think the word dyer is probably slightly exaggerated. To be fair the majority of the reviews on trip advisor, here and other sites are fine, the few bad ones are probably by the same people who like to complain about anything and everything. We're not after nightlife, shopping etc just a quiet, peaceful break with our children and parents.
The food poisoning review now I have thought about it probably wasn't that at all and they were just annoyed cos the beach was closed.
Anyway I have found a very helpful person who is going to investigate the beach situation for me before we leave.
dyer yea maybe your right, i chose the wrong word, i should have probably said concerning reviews, i hope you have a great time.
beach is closed until 2011 as part of an 3 year improvement scheme- will be very nice when done ( went down to look in June 2010 )

The complex is self contained needs to be as Canutells is really a private Villa/residential area with a very natural bay and beach.
I (with a few others) am going to Mar de menorca in July. Yes I know it is very isolated,but it was the best ,at what we could afford(fairly good reviews)for actual hotel which is we spend most of our time but can anybody answer the following questions

1)At the hotel, is the nightly entertainment indoors or outdoors
2) If we do fancy anight away from hotel we do not mind travelling by taxi(within reason)can anybody suggest a resort with a few bars etc(pool table jukebox)etc.Also possible cost of a taxi

thanks
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.