Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Marmaris is more expensive than Dalyan. We visited the consulate in Marmaris on Monday whilst staying in Dalyan, and had lunch on the sea front. Ended up paying 75 TL for lunch consisting of 2 tuna salads, egg and chips, pancake (english style) with sauce and 4 cherry juices. Thats £37!
Hi
I would recommend trying Didim in Altinkum as I was in Marmaris in May and went to Didim at the begining of August and found that Didim is a far lot cheaper than Marmaris,and I was a person on her own and didn`t have a lot to spend so I would recommened it a 100%.

Sheena
Friends of mine have just returned from Lanzarote and said they spent nearly three grande over and above their accomadation and flights ,self catering .That was for a family of two adults and three kids ,they were at the same place this time last year and some of the prices have more than doubled,between six and ten euro for some kiddie rides at a fairground . Turkey may be getting dearer but i dont think it will ever be dearer than spain.Apart from all that i prefer Turkey .

Bluepeterno1
To be honest i couldnt afford to go anywhere abroad now if we didnt go allinclusive....
I'd rather eat out everynight in different restaurants but its just not an option at the moment with the kids and all

Big shame though
Europe self catering is becoming for the well off only.... unless you are really going to self cater
well we spent 2,400 a family of four although we were in a group of 9. kids drinks are expensive also we didnt have a big meal every night and only did one boat trip allinclusive for me next
£2400 in just spending money dechchaire?
Ive just remembered because i was in our local weatherspoon pub the otherday,i saw efes for £1.80 for 500ml.... the same bottle in turgutries this august was £2.25
yes just spending money no presents a boat trip and kids had a go on the ringos
yes we do like a few drinks during the day and we didnt go to bed till 2am
edjust goes to show then deckchair

we spend £2300 on our allinclisive holiday for 4 of us but must admit we spent about £300 on top ,including airport,boat trip ,a few fake clothes for the boys and a few sweets along the way

so that takes it to £2600

but next year prices have risen drastically and we have booked our holiday for next august and iots costing us £3000
I tried doing it diy self catering but the cheapest accomadation i could get was £700 and flights were about £1000.... so that left us with£1300 as spending money... not enough im afraid
Not speaking for marmaris..but other places in Turkey can still be very reasonable...how does this sound ??

as for accomodations....

a quad room for a family of 4 with breakfast and dinners included..for a week ( 7 nights ) - about 625 GBP ( half board )

a quad room for a family of 4 with breakfast and dinners included..for 2 weeks ( 14 nights ) - about 1250 GBP ( half board )

dinner menu....soup, followed by four to five appetizer/vegetable dishes, followed by the main course of various grilled kebab's or fish, depending on the night, then dessert of fruit or sweets all served to your table and not an open buffet...

plus transfers round trip for 4 persons...115 GBP

but drinks extra...I know that all-inclusive is popular with the families due to the amount that kids ( and adults ) might want to drink...but 5 liras for an Efes bottle of beer ( 50CC ) or 2.5 liras for a can of coke is not un-reasonable..sold by the bottle or can not by glass...

just my thoughts... :wave:
deckchairlady, I am a family of 4 and went to marmaris in july for 1 week we only spent 700 we ate out every night brought back loads of stuff and drunk enough!! haha. and also to the waterpark.

going one week on wednesday for two weeks and will only spend about 1400. I though i was going overboard with a hundred pound a day haha! :yikes

1 week and 3 days :wave:
Same here, lukee - we were in Icmeler in June and didn't spend anything like £100 a day (and there were five of us). We were staying in apartments, but ate out for every meal, and we had a great holiday. Mind you, we're canny Scots, but I still think you can have a great holiday in Turkey without going overboard, price-wise. Can't wait to get back in October, and I wouldn't dream of going all-inclusive either. A holiday is what YOU make it - you don't have to spend a fortune!
i am in marmaris as i type, staying with my mother for a few days, the prices here and icmeler for eating out are double akyaka where we are mainly based, so our money has gone a long way, we have only spent £800 for 3 of us after 11 days, and ive bought £200 of presents out of that, my hubby has taken my daughter to water park today and we have eaten out every day lunch and dinner, and ive just had my hair highlighted cut and blow dry for 50 lira, bargain !!. we have eaten breakfast in our apt and taken bottles of drink to the beach as thats were your money goes quickly on soft drinks, i dont drink alcohol but hubby does but i think spending less than £600 for 3 of us on food and drink is good. lunch meals ie omelettes, pizza etc are about 6 lira, chicken sandwich, burgers etc are 3.50 lira, spag bol about 6-7 lira ,these are akyaka restaurant prices
A friend of mine was talking to somebody today, who told her the prices in marmaris are now sky high, and that it cost £5 for a pint of effes :yikes i do hope he meant 5 lira!

ps apparently the last time he was there was 8 years ago.... :rofl
I have just come back from Bodrum and I thought it was generally very expensive compared to recent trips to Icmeler and Olu Deniz. A large Efes was generally at least 5L and often more. In one harbour front bar it was 15L for a small Efes :yikes. After that I checked the prices it bit more carefully. In most places even a coke was at least 3.5L. The poor exchange rates do not help, I noticed a couple of years ago when it was 3L to the pound some bar and restaurant owners put their prices up accordingly but I do not see any reductions now it is nearer to 2L to the pound. On the plus side though there are still some great bargains with accomodation, I stayed in a lovely small hotel for £32 a night which was well worth the money.
  • Edited by beegee 2008-09-02 15:20:36
If you look at the forums on most countries they all say about it being more expensive this year!!!Lets face it even in the UK its more expensive this year!!Turkey is still cheap compared to a lot of places in Europe.
Just back from Marmaris & found it a lot more expensive than last year. Im afraid its my last time to Turkey i didnt enjoy my holiday at all this year apart from meeting some great people. 2 adults & 1 teen doing 3 trips, eating out most nights & enjoying a few drinks we spent £1900. This is just my opinion so dont slate me :rofl . Every person to their own but ive done my time in Turkey.
Vonny

That seems to a lot of spending money for 2 weeks. The fact that the currency has dropped certainly would not help. I have been to Turkey about 10 times now and this is the worst I have seen the exchange rate. The better half and I normally spend about £900 and that is eating out every night, most lunchtimes, although we normally only go on a boat trip. looks like i will have to take even more this year. Like you if the prices are silly this will be my last time

stewart
I found it a lot too :rofl compared to last year we found we had to watch what we were spending in our second week. Didnt help that drinks were so expensive round our pool & not allowed to take your own. Shop in hotel was selling water 50c same bottle round pool 2.50 add on a couple of beers for other half snack for lunch drinks for son & it soon adds up & thats before we went out for evening meal.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.