Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
bag54,

Welcome onbaord :tup
You'll need a 2 flat pin US style adatper. It's 127 volts, so less than it is here. If your devices are 240 volts, you'll need a converter or they'll not work properly. Eg hair straighters won't warm up enough and hair dryers will be slow / too cold.

Darren
Thanks Dazbo5 - been a lurker for a long while - looking forward to Mexico
Hi, i just read the above answers and you say that in Mexico you need a converter so appliance like, hair straightners & hair dryers will work how they would in the uk!

What is this device?

Where would I go to buy one of these & is it just like a plug in device?

Thank you

Lovethesun
lovethesun04,

You can buy voltage converters so appliances work on lower voltage systems when abroad. Be aware some can only be used with low wattage appliances so can't be used with hair straightners or hair dryers. The easiest is to buy travel versions of appliances that run on 110 volts so you can just plug them in.

Darren
One other tip. I usually take a cheap 4 plug adapter with me as well. Most hotel rooms only seem to have one plug for use. If you take an multi adapter you can charge cameras, phones, ipods etc. just using the one strip.
Lorraine
Check the voltage range on your appliance. There should be a sticker on it telling you the input voltage range. Most electronic appliance power supplies (phone chargers, camera chargers etc) work on a voltage range of 100 to 240 so they will be ok, but check first. Check if your hotel room has a hair drier. Also some appliances have a switchable voltage between 110 and 240.
We have just returned from Mexico and my wife took her 240v hair straighteners and, although slow to warm up, worked ok. 240v hairdriers will not work correctly so unless you have a voltage converter, don't bother taking it.

Cheers

Keith
going to same resort look what dates you out there?
Universal UK Standard Travel Adaptor wii be ok.
Hi

Do I need to buy an adaptor for Mexico is it the same as the american one? thanks :)
mari,

Yes, Mexico use 2 flat pins like America so you'll need an adapter.

Darren
Thanks I need to take my GHD straighteners which require a lot of power do you think hotels will provide the adaptors etc?

If not do boots or anywhere sell them?

Thanks
mari,

Hotels won't provide adapters. Boots and many other stores sell them, as well as airports. I would get one before you go as they tend to be expensive abroad (captive market!). I would also check the voltage requirments as well, Mexico use 110-120v rather than our 240v so they might not get as warm as they do other here if they require 240v. you might find this topic useful; Dual Voltage hair straighteners.

Darren
Mari are you still going to the Royal? If so you won't need to worry about straightners as they are now provided in the room!
They really do try to think of everything!!
Thanks Denny yes I am thats good are they decent ones though I have long thick hair?

Yes, according to a couple of threads over on TA they are very good.!
Have a great time.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.