Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
Money
12 Posts
For the best exchange rates open a Nationwide Flexaccount and use your debit card at an ATM there - the exchange is at the bank rates which is always better than tourist ones. Travellers cheques are a waste of time - lousy exchange rates and/or commission. Just get a few Euros before you go to last you the first day or so until you find an ATM - the Post Office offers amongst the best high street rates.
Should you wish to exchange money (cash), the BANK OF GREECE (NOT the National Bank of Greece as that is a different company) will always be your best deal. They do not charge commission and the rates are normally just 1-2 cents below the international bank rate, far better than tourist rates normally offered.
Certainly you should find this a better deal than exchanging in the UK or at airports etc.....
hi all, this year i ordered my euro's off the internet, i went on to the martin lewis website (financial expert) and found a company called crown currency exchange.

The earlier you book your currency the better the rate, i got a rate of just under 1 20.

I fly off to greece on the 20th of august and the euro's are being delivered on the 16th so fingers crossed they will turn up haha

Will let you know on my return.

mike

It is now the 14th of august and guess what, panic over my euro's were delivered this morning.

Will be using that site again, all thats left to do now is pack my case and zante here we come.
We have used a Nationwide card for many years for cash machines abroad and usually got a slightly better rate than in the UK, this year in Greece we were getting just over 1.20. Unfortunately Nationwide will be charging for these transactions from Nov. 2010.
If you are buying euro's from the High Street, shop around......the Post Office rates are NOT that good at all. In our area they give the lowest rate of exchange and we have 6 bureau de change in one small town! Its also worth considering the currency cards preloaded with your euros and no charge to use as a debit card for purchases or meals in restaurants while you are on holiday. Flat rate of 2 euros for taking money from an ATM. I got mine from Co-operative travel....they give you a better rate for putting your euros on a card. Safer than carrying loads of cash.
Kath
The Post Office rates are better if you pre-order online for collection. Walk in rates are much lower.

luci :wave
MariaH wrote:
For the best exchange rates open a Nationwide Flexaccount

This account is being withdrawn by Nationwide, and will be charging for these transactions from Nov. 2010

mike cross wrote:
company called crown currency exchange.

Smart move, Its a good company and well worth a visit to gain some extra Euros
Naughty wrote:
MariaH wrote:
For the best exchange rates open a Nationwide Flexaccount

This account is being withdrawn by Nationwide, and will be charging for these transactions from Nov. 2010

This account is NOT being withdrawn. However from 1 November 2010 they will be charging 2% commission and a £1 fee per transaction.

Naughty wrote:

mike cross wrote:
company called crown currency exchange.

Smart move, Its a good company and well worth a visit to gain some extra Euros

You cannot visit Crown Currency Exchange to buy currency. You order online or by telephone for delivery with at least 10 days notice.

luci :wave
I find a prepaid Euro card very convenient. I've used FairFx for a year or so, but there are others out there some with offers from time to time. The card is valid for 3 years and you can 'load' it via the 'net or your mobile. No added charges when used in stores in Europe and a flat 1.5 Euro IIRC when used in an ATM. As you never know what the Euro is going to be like when you actually travel, you can load the card anytime the rate looks favourable - you will prob never get the very best rate as it may move up again, but, you'll never get the worst rate either. The actual amount of Euros you get for your pound is always very good, beating airports and the Post Office by quite a few cents. Also, If you find yourself running low when abroad, you can always top-up from a secure 'net connection.
I can't speak for everyone obviously but my experience of these cards has lead me to believe they're more hassle than they're worth,i've worked in Greece for many years and none of the bars or restaurants i've worked in or have friends in want to take them.

Went to Benidorm on a stag do and a few of the lads had them and the only ATM that they'd work in was a good 45 minute walk away,45 minutes back again on top,nowhere would accept them as debit cards so they ended up unloading them into cash by the end of the week to save themselves such dramas.

Many smaller resorts don't even have an ATM!

some resorts in countries like Egypt,Turkey,India etc rarely have even card facilities out of larger hotels,let alone ATM's

My GF is a rep and she has had tons upon tons of guests complaining that they can't use their cards anywhere,and that's in Greece,Spain,Portugal and Austria,9i myself have listened to countless sob stories from tourists moaning and complaining that they can't access their money and are having to get someone back home to western union them some cash,or have had to get on the bus into Rhodes town to try and get Alphabank to let them withdraw.

I know a couple of people who work in travel agents aswell that off the record admit they're a bad move,but obviously that's an unofficial line as they get kickbacks for selling them.

Many people reading this will of course disagree and like i said,i can't speak for everyone but would i ever use one....not a chance in hell,travellers cheques and cash for me,and normal debit cards
hi all....If your changing over £500 OR £600 you can get a better rate as you can get a business rate which is better than the tourist rate.....good way of getting a deal is to go online to thomascooks currency exchange......this allows you to order on line ....get online rates .....but choose to pay on collection at nominated shop......you just print your invoice off and phone shop to let them know your coming.....then take invoice to pay and collect.....you can get an online rate this way without using your credit or debit card...so you dont pay a card fee either......I got a better rate than if just going into the shop last time.....tweetie

lust had a look and todat is 1.1816 to the pound ...so dont know how that compares to others
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.