General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
It's hard to say, I've seen some pretty impressive sights on my travels. Almost any view in the South Island New Zealand (and a lot on North Island) is breathtaking, the Grand Canyon must rate highly and the sheer height of the Pyramid of the Magician in Uxmal Mexico makes you take a breath as did the Manhatten skyline from a plane in early evening, but I think the most breathtaking sight I've seen was in Nepal, the Annapurna range shining pink in the early evening light was really awesome much more memorable than my first view of Mt. Everest.
Must say though that everytime I drive back to the UK to visit relatives the White Cliffs of Dover usually bring a lump to my throat.
  • Edited by Judith 2007-06-09 16:47:04
The total eclipse ! we were in France and decided to view from the Moet Chandon Vineyards very eerie , very moving ! there were loads of people there mainly French we had a wonderful holiday too ! :)
Walking through the front archway and then seeing it with my own eyes.......... The Taj Mahal. What an awesome sight, so glad to be able to say, " I've been there and done it" Tony. :D
Arriving jet lagged at Voi safari lodge, Tsavo Kenya perched on a rocky outcrop,with what looked like a view across the whole of Africa, just seeing animal after animal heading for the water hole...elephant, baboon, zebra, gazelle, hyrax, ostrich and more.

Flying low over Phang-Na bay Thailand seeing all the islets and karsts, just like being in the Bond movie.

Landing at Kai Tak in Hong Kong, looking into peoples flats as the plane flew in at a lower level than the flats.

Standing beneath the Petronas Towers and looking up. Stunning building especially at night.
Standing alone, just the two of us, with no-one else in sight on The Great Wall of China is one of my most treasured memories
As are the Terracotta warriors in Xian
Chichen Itza in Mexico
The Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco
Karnak Temple in Egypt
The view from the Peak, Hong Kong
Walking into Grand Central Station in New York (it's a bizzare one I know but I've loved it for so long to actually see it in the flesh was awesome, it's beautiful)
Mines quite tame compared to some. However, it was very special to me....it was the view from Throni high in the Troodos Mountains, Cyprus( also burial place of Archbishop Markarios).

There is a tiny little chapel at the top and I am always overcome when I visit this place. I swear I lived in Cyprus in a formal life, because I always feel as though I have come home when I visit.

Kath x
The most breathtaking has to be Angkor Wat in Cambodia-awesome

I also loved Grand Central Station in NYC

The view of the Nile on our hot air balloon trip in Luxor

Palolem beach in Goa
Looking over the egde of the Grand Canyon was pretty awe inspiring.

But then again so was sitting with 20,000 hockey fans in the Air Canada Centre Toronto to watch the Leafs take on (and beat) the Pittsburg Penguins.

Driving across the Viaduct de Millau was also an experience to remember. And we did it before Jeremy Clarkson et al.
Not a building/monument/landmark but wild dolphins and whales alongside our catmarran just off Tenerife. The whales had young with them, it brought a lump to my throat as I'd only ever seen them in aquatic parks. It was breathtaking.
The view from a hot air ballon trip over the savanah in East Africa.

The wilderbeast migration. ( I enjoyed seeing something that was so in the control of nature and out of the control of man)

Ngorongoro Crater in Tanzania.

The view from high up in Parque Guell looking out to sea. I felt like I had the whole of Barcelona before me, it was spectacular. Infact anything Gaudi.

I also liked seeing dolphins playing in the wake of a boat we were on in the gulf of mexico. I had swum with them in a park but this was so much better.

All the wild alligators and brown pelicans in the depths of the everglades.
Seeing Mount Kilimanjaro appearing through the early morning mist, as the sun burns the mist off the land - absolutely stunning!
I'm not religious - but the Sagadra Familia on Easter Sunday was definitely memorable. I could have spend hours just looking at it.
  • Edited by Fiona 2007-06-10 09:01:42
Some of your holidays sound wonderful. Unfortunately, I've never been anywhere so exotic but this thread got me thinking. I honestly think the most spectacular sight I've seen was when I was very young and went very early one morning to Bempton Cliffs in East Yorkshire. The sky was so blue against the white chalk cliffs and there were literally thousands of birds soaring over the cliffs and sea. I remember being simply awestruck at these birds managing to find their own nests amonst the thousands nestled into the cliffs.

:P
i have so many with all the travelling i do ,these are the ones that stand out in my memory

getting married on the beach in olu deniz with gorgeous views

dolphins swimming around my dads yacht after a few weeks of storms on our way to the azores was fantastic as i we had had terrible weather up til then so these coming from nowhere was wonderful to watch

grand canyon peering over the top

spending xmas day in bethlehem was a special moment

wandering around the valley of the kings and queens

niagra falls in the winter was pretty spectacular

prostojna caves was amazing

running around the first ever olympic track in greece

atlas mountains near marrakech, wonderful views

these are just a few special moments for me
I have seen nothing as splendid as you all, but, I have to say, one of the best sights I love to see is opening the curtains & seeing nothing but the huge expanse of sea!! Not a bit as exciting as your sights, but to me it's a wonderful view. Unlike back home when all we see is the neighbours house...!!
The amazing view from Monte Cassino in Italy and the Abbey,also because my Dad was part of the 8th army who fought there during WW11. Really emotional too, to be where so many men had lost their lives and others endured such hardship.
Driving around the bend in the road towards Pierfonds in France, and seeing Pierfonds Chateau appear high on the hill nestled amongst beautiful scenery.

It taked my breath away even when I look at the photos.
A really heartstopping moment on my travels was when OH and I were hiking in Jasper, Canada, I had decided to go back to the car on my own and was walking down a trail, no-one else around when out from the bushes popped a large black bear, I don't know who was the more suprised, me or the bear. The scenery was breathtaking though.
The sunset in Thira Santorini, the size of the pyramids in Gizza, the little villages of Zia & Pia in Kos and smugglers cove in Zakynthos.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.